the QBs effect on our recruiting | Syracusefan.com

the QBs effect on our recruiting

upperdeck

Living Legend
hunt coming back and or mahoney getting a scholie really has a drastic effect on our incoming class numbers. really wonder if Hunt comes back now to be a #2 or #3 guy. we planned on 3 plus the Fr next year but going to 5 does that cause an issue with our other numbers we want to bring in. cant see anyway we go to 6 on scholie.

This won't have anything to do with the QBs, but I DO believe that Dungey's success is going to have a positive effect on recruiting for the rest of 2016, 2017, and 2018. Great offensive skilled talent wants to play with great QBs, and it looks like we have a great QB prospect who has infused the program with a much-needed shot of enthusiasm.

In terms of the QBs on the roster, barring catastrophic injury, Dungey is the guy moving forward. Period. I have to imagine that they wouldn't tell Hunt to walk if he qualifies for a sixth year, but he'd be returning in a backup capacity. Would love to see Mahoney eventually earn a scholarship, but that has to occur within the capacity of our roster situation, and whether we can extend him a scholie next year versus the following all comes down to fishes and loaves.

But as the last two years have proven, you can never have enough QBs. I doubt they will look to run off Hunt for that reason [to say nothing of him being a respected leader].

Hunt has a <5% chance of coming back, IMO. His injury happened too late in the year last year to warrant a medical redshirt, and while this season's injury does fit into the criteria, his previous redshirt season (as a freshman) was done out of development rather than due to injury. In order to get a 6th year, you must prove that both seasons that a student-athlete has lost were due to injury.

Maybe they combine the last two years and make a compelling case, but I don't think they have much of a case.

Hunt has a <5% chance of coming back, IMO. His injury happened too late in the year last year to warrant a medical redshirt, and while this season's injury does fit into the criteria, his previous redshirt season (as a freshman) was done out of development rather than due to injury. In order to get a 6th year, you must prove that both seasons that a student-athlete has lost were due to injury.

Maybe they combine the last two years and make a compelling case, but I don't think they have much of a case.

I disagree--he got injured on something like the 3rd or 4th offensive play from scrimmage this year. The circumstances are tailor made for the 6th year medical waiver.

I am curious to see how Dungey, if he performs as well as I think he will, impacts the future of recruiting the QB position. Hendon Hooker mentioned in a video that a big factor for him will be what the QB situation looks like. Now, for him, Dungey would be a junior by the time he got here, so let's say a redshirt freshman Dungey's senior year. But there's still Rex, and potentially one more QB for this cycle.

Will having that much talent clustered together spook any of our QB targets in 17 and 18?

I am curious to see how Dungey, if he performs as well as I think he will, impacts the future of recruiting the QB position. Hendon Hooker mentioned in a video that a big factor for him will be what the QB situation looks like. Now, for him, Dungey would be a junior by the time he got here, so let's say a redshirt freshman Dungey's senior year. But there's still Rex, and potentially one more QB for this cycle.

Will having that much talent clustered together spook any of our QB targets in 17 and 18?
I would think that the only QB that really could scare off a recruit is an underclassman starter. A junior or senior incumbent is probably the best situation for an incoming Freshman. If they know that they will be competing for the starting job in their redshirt freshman or sophomore year, that is likely ideal.

I disagree--he got injured on something like the 3rd or 4th offensive play from scrimmage this year. The circumstances are tailor made for the 6th year medical waiver.

That's the one year that he would be able to earn a medical redshirt.

In order to get a 6th year, you need to prove that you missed two full seasons due to injury. Last year, Hunt was injured past the cutoff to be awarded a medical redshirt. His freshman year, he was held out due to development - not an injury.

As I said, there's a chance but it's not likely based on the way the NCAA has these rules laid out.

hunt coming back and or mahoney getting a scholie really has a drastic effect on our incoming class numbers. really wonder if Hunt comes back now to be a #2 or #3 guy. we planned on 3 plus the Fr next year but going to 5 does that cause an issue with our other numbers we want to bring in. cant see anyway we go to 6 on scholie.

It's an interesting quandary.

Easy for me to say. But I think I set it straight with Terrell. We’ll put you on staff as a Grad Assistant, or we’ll get you into another program as a 6th year grad transfer. I’d push toward the grad assistant choice; it’s incredibly hard for a kid to hang it up though.

Zach Mahoney is quandary #2. If the coaches think they can win football games with Zach then you put him on scholarship and you forgo bringing in a second QB with Rex. Zach performed admirably against LSU but he knows the deal and I keep him as a walkon and shoot for David Moore. If I miss with Moore then maybe give him the ship. If a lower level AAC school is willing to give him a ship now and he transfers it’s a risk.

Dungey – ship
Austin Wilson - ship
AJ Long – ship
Zach Mahoney – ship
Rex Culpepper - ship

You have to forgo QB #2 (David Moore) because (barring a departure) you can’t have 6 QBs on scholarship next year. PLUS, you have to think about 2017. They’d all return minus Austin so bringing in one more (Hooker etc) keeps you at 5.

Is Brotzki coming in as a walk on still in play?

It's an interesting quandary.

Easy for me to say. But I think I set it straight with Terrell. We’ll put you on staff as a Grad Assistant, or we’ll get you into another program as a 6th year grad transfer. I’d push toward the grad assistant choice; it’s incredibly hard for a kid to hang it up though.

Zach Mahoney is quandary #2. If the coaches think they can win football games with Zach then you put him on scholarship and you forgo bringing in a second QB with Rex. Zach performed admirably against LSU but he knows the deal and I keep him as a walkon and shoot for David Moore. If I miss with Moore then maybe give him the ship. If a lower level AAC school is willing to give him a ship now and he transfers it’s a risk.

Dungey – ship
Austin Wilson - ship
AJ Long – ship
Zach Mahoney – ship
Rex Culpepper - ship

You have to forgo QB #2 (David Moore) because (barring a departure) you can’t have 6 QBs on scholarship next year. PLUS, you have to think about 2017. They’d all return minus Austin so bringing in one more (Hooker etc) keeps you at 5.

I think if you have the opportunity to move on from Wilson you do and I agree with you on Hunt. I'd rather another 2016 recruit who really fits the profile of this offense then another year of Wilson riding the pine.

This is 100% correct. Having said that, I wouldn't doubt that they have some sort of documentation on hand to claim an injury in his redshirt year. Otherwise, why say that Hunt is coming back for a 6th year if the NCAA approves?

This is 100% correct. Having said that, I wouldn't doubt that they have some sort of documentation on hand to claim an injury in his redshirt year. Otherwise, why say that Hunt is coming back for a 6th year if the NCAA approves?

You could be right - all indications were that the first redshirt season in 2011 was not related to injury. But you never know what the medical staff has documentation of.

Mahoney could transfer and lose another year leaving him one last year. hunt in theory could get a medical scholie to stay in school but not play . cant see him coming back to not start . but the RS would let him play someplace else too. for the kids hate to see wilson/long leave but wilson will never play unless 2-3 injuries happen again. still no idea if long gets back to #2, though i think this offense plays to his skill set even more than mahoney's

I think if you have the opportunity to move on from Wilson you do and I agree with you on Hunt. I'd rather another 2016 recruit who really fits the profile of this offense then another year of Wilson riding the pine.
If Hunt comes back, maybe slide him over to TE. He's already at 238lbs and I think he could easily put on an additional 15 lbs of muscle.

Hunt is a great team mate...and I'm sure the staff would find a spot for him if his Med RS is approved by the cartel.

If Hunt comes back, maybe slide him over to TE. He's already at 238lbs and I think he could easily put on an additional 15 lbs of muscle.

Hunt is a great team mate...and I'm sure the staff would find a spot for him if his Med RS is approved by the cartel.

I'm cool with a position change. He just doesn't need to muddle the QB depth chart. He's got a TE body and if he is going to have any shot at the pros, a conversion like that is it.

Personally I think Mahoney has earned a scholie...hell if we can have 42 kickers/long snappers/short snappers and a Punting God on scholie we can have Mahoney on scholie for 1 or 2 seasons.

I would think Wilson might want to leave. He's a RS Soph and after 3 years he's got to know its not going to ever be his job. If he left for a FCS school now he'd have 2 years to play. I could see him putting up big numbers at that level. Personally I have little interest in Hunt being on the QB depth chart anymore. Not sure what he has to offer.

Hunt is a great team player...Football is his family now. Cuse should help groom him into coaching if FB (NCAA) doesn't give him another year.

If I'm Hunt, I'm spending this season in the booth with Lester again, angling for a GA spot next year.

Not a shot. Kid wants to play in the NFL. I know because he told me. Ironically he actually mentioned leaving early (this was after his strong end to season Soph season) because you never know with injuries.

All (or most) of these kids that play big time CFB think they are going play, or have a chance to play in the NFL. No different with Hunt. I'm sure he's going to want to come back and give it another shot. I also think he will understand that a position move may be best for him, and the team, if Dungey finishes the season like we expect him too. Hunt to TE is my guess.

He is a really good kid, he deserves another chance to play. Plus he's a great team leader.

I would think Wilson might want to leave. He's a RS Soph and after 3 years he's got to know its not going to ever be his job. If he left for a FCS school now he'd have 2 years to play. I could see him putting up big numbers at that level. Personally I have little interest in Hunt being on the QB depth chart anymore. Not sure what he has to offer.
Heck...if he has a G/F at Cuse maybe Colgate or Cornell would love him. I don't want to run him off though...he is quality depth and seems like a good kid. The choice is his.

Why would SU request that. On performance alone, he would be 3rd string next year, at best.

Not a shot. Kid wants to play in the NFL. I know because he told me. Ironically he actually mentioned leaving early (this was after his strong end to season Soph season) because you never know with injuries.

All (or most) of these kids that play big time CFB think they are going play, or have a chance to play in the NFL. No different with Hunt. I'm sure he's going to want to come back and give it another shot. I also think he will understand that a position move may be best for him, and the team, if Dungey finishes the season like we expect him too. Hunt to TE is my guess.

He is a really good kid, he deserves another chance to play. Plus he's a great team leader.

I'm sure he wants to play in the NFL, but is he on any teams radar?

With all due respect. By any objective observation Terrell Hunt is not good enough for the NFL. His medical exception has a low percentage of being granted and if it is he would not be playing QB. It is very difficult to switch positions as a 24 yr old and his weight is not the only factor of a position switch. Most just can't switch positions and be NFL quality in one yr. He's had 2 major lower leg injuries in two years and his quickness and hip mobility was never his best traits. I just don't see him coming back in any on field capacity. Would love for him to be QB GA though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom