The Recruiting Problem... | Syracusefan.com

The Recruiting Problem...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I know the recruiting landscape is changing, but there can be no denying that we have huge issues with this 2017 class...or lack thereof. It is not enough to say we are recruiting with the big boys. It seems like everybody else has at least some commitments, so I am tired of hearing the landscape excuse.

The thing that seems to have changed the most is not the process with the highly rated recruits, but the process with the under the radar recruits. In recent years the staff did a great job & identified & got on early with kids like MCW, Moyer, Ennis, and Lydon before they blew up and we successfully got those early commitments.

Why has that changed ? Why is the staff not identifying and locking up early one or two of these under the radar kids a year (not only 2017, but still no 2018 commitments) ?

This year, of all years, we need a big class. While we have had a couple of kids unexpectantly leave early, most recently Malachi, one kid leaving early did not change our need for a large class. In fact, in the end Malachi's leaving did not matter because we replaced him with White & he was probably only projected as a two year player anyways. This was the year when we could most afford to get on some less than sure thing kids early & lock em up.

The staff may yet salvage this year's class, but they are certainly taking it to the wire. I know as a fan that I would certainly be feeling better if we had two or three kids in tow at this stage of the game even if they were not ranked in the Top 50.

I know the recruiting landscape is changing, but there can be no denying that we have huge issues with this 2017 class...or lack thereof. It is not enough to say we are recruiting with the big boys. It seems like everybody else has at least some commitments, so I am tired of hearing the landscape excuse.

The thing that seems to have changed the most is not the process with the highly rated recruits, but the process with the under the radar recruits. In recent years the staff did a great job & identified & got on early with kids like MCW, Moyer, Ennis, and Lydon before they blew up and we successfully got those early commitments.

Why has that changed ? Why is the staff not identifying and locking up early one or two of these under the radar kids a year (not only 2017, but still no 2018 commitments) ?

This year, of all years, we need a big class. While we have had a couple of kids unexpectantly leave early, most recently Malachi, one kid leaving early did not change our need for a large class. In fact, in the end Malachi's leaving did not matter because we replaced him with White & he was probably only projected as a two year player anyways. This was the year when we could most afford to get on some less than sure thing kids early & lock em up.

The staff may yet salvage this year's class, but they are certainly taking it to the wire. I know as a fan that I would certainly be feeling better if we had two or three kids in tow at this stage of the game even if they were not ranked in the Top 50.

Sure, we can deny that "we have huge issues with this 2017 class" -- because it isn't true.

I think we have a perspective / patience issue amongst our fanbase, more so than an issue with recruiting. The November signing period is days away--chillax and see how things unfold.

Last edited:
Not a troll question; when should I start to worry? i don't follow the recruiting stuff as close as a lot of people here

Not a troll question; when should I start to worry? i don't follow the recruiting stuff as close as a lot of people here

If Green and Brissett decide and they don't decide to come here. Seriously all the guys we are after besides two have not made a decision. The only person we "lost" was Randolph.

I think we have a perspective / patience issue amongst our fanbase, more so than an issue with recruiting.

it's not just the fanbase, some of the insiders have kind of led us down a path to certain expectations. CuseMan4 (who I love) in particular stated that Randolph was a near lock, and that Green would commit by Orange Madness.
Absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Quade committed this weekend, like I said earlier won't go past Orange Madness from what I'm hearing, so anytime from now to Orange Madness be ready to celebrate.Popcorn and soda

I'm not calling him out - like I said, I love the fact that he has access and shares his information - but this other post set us up with expectations about what this class would like like by this date.
As of right now I feel comfortable saying we get Green, Randolph, Tucker, Brissett.
Obviously we will need to get more than these players but these are the players we are front runners for right now

Again, we love having this information and we understand that nobody really knows anything. But you can't blame us too much for impatience when posters with very solid track records create implied timelines.

If Green and Brissett decide and they don't decide to come here. Seriously all the guys we are after besides two have not made a decision. The only person we "lost" was Randolph.

Well Randolph was a HUGE loss because SG will be our position of greatest need and we do not even have a backup plan for that position. Also, your comment begs the question why isn't the staff closing the deals on some of these kids ? Usually it is because they want to wait & see how the PT will shake out, but with all that we will be losing after this season that could hardly be an issue fro any of the higher ranked recruits.

The only real wildcard we will have is Battle, and IMHO he will be gone unless for some reason he disappoints big-time.

it's not just the fanbase, some of the insiders have kind of led us down a path to certain expectations. CuseMan4 (who I love) in particular stated that Randolph was a near lock, and that Green would commit by Orange Madness.

I'm not calling him out - like I said, I love the fact that he has access and shares his information - but this other post set us up with expectations about what this class would like like by this date.

Again, we love having this information and we understand that nobody really knows anything. But you can't blame us too much for impatience when posters with very solid track records create implied timelines.

Again, fan perception / perspective is different from there being a recruiting "problem."

National signing day is on November 9th -- 16 days from now. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have 3 commitments by then, possibly 4.

Sure, we can deny that "we have huge issues with this 2017 class" -- because it isn't true.

I think we have a perspective / patience issue amongst our fanbase, more so than an issue with recruiting. The November signing period is days away--chillax and see how things unfold.
I don't think people have a patience problem things are dragging on. People can say that players are going to commit, but nothing is official until its official. Weeks ago many people thought we'd have at least Green by now. I remember last year everybody said Battle was a done deal, and then he committed Michigan. Thankfully he backed off and came our way .

I don't think people have a patience problem things are dragging on. People can say that players are going to commit, but nothing is official until its official. Weeks ago many people thought we'd have at least Green by now.

"People thought."

I rest my case.

People being frustrated with not knowing the answer does not = a recruiting problem. This class is going to be huge, and it is probably going to take until next June to fill it, with lots of unusual rocks being overturned. I'd expect a 5th year grad transfer [or two], maybe even a JUCO to surface to help fill the class. And there's bound to be a developmental type mixed in who might not even be on the fanbase's radar right now. So, if you're looking for quick resolution, you're bound to be disappointed with how this class gets filled.

And who says that we don't have Green by now?

"People thought."

I rest my case.

People being frustrated with not knowing the answer does not = a recruiting problem. This class is going to be huge, and it is probably going to take until next June to fill it, with lots of unusual rocks being overturned. I'd expect a 5th year grad transfer [or two], maybe even a JUCO to surface to help fill the class. And there's bound to be a developmental type mixed in who might not even be on the fanbase's radar right now. So, if you're looking for quick resolution, you're bound to be disappointed with how this class gets filled.

And who says that we don't have Green by now?
I'm talking about the '17 recruiting cycle not grad transfers. I heard weeks ago he was ours but nothing has happened officially yet. I'm not hoping for a quick resolution, we know that isn' happening . That would have happened months ago.

I'm talking about the '17 recruiting cycle not grad transfers. I heard weeks ago he was ours but nothing has happened officially yet. I'm not hoping for a quick resolution, we know that isn' happening .

See you guys on November 9th.

Exactly. He has a great track record. Trying to time these things however is difficult. If he's not off the board yet, why worry?

We had one SG target go to his dads alma mater and another decided not to come here. The staff hasn't missed much lately when they have identified someone they want.

Well Randolph was a HUGE loss because SG will be our position of greatest need and we do not even have a backup plan for that position. Also, your comment begs the question why isn't the staff closing the deals on some of these kids ? Usually it is because they want to wait & see how the PT will shake out, but with all that we will be losing after this season that could hardly be an issue fro any of the higher ranked recruits.

The only real wildcard we will have is Battle, and IMHO he will be gone unless for some reason he disappoints big-time.

Uhhh. Not sure how realistic it is we get him, but Lonnie Walker is now our #1SG target.

November 9 - November 16 is the early NLI signing period and April 12, 2017 commences the regular NLI signing period for the 2017 class.

I would recommend starting to worry around April 13, 2017 if we haven't signed anyone. Or you can take the more aggressive approach and jump in a time machine to September 2016 and start your worrying then as many have already beaten you to the punch.

On a serious note, I just don't understand all of the consternation about the basketball program and our "recruiting woes" over the past few years. This most recent 8-year period is arguably the best stretch in the history of the Syracuse program only rivaled by the mid-late 80's run in performance. This run has occurred despite the NCAA intentionally trying to knock us down from our rightful place among the college basketball elite. We don't recruit anymore we just reload and I am certain the same will occur in 2017 and 2018 when it comes time to take the Court in those respective years. The 2016 cycle taught me that.

Last edited:
Exactly. He has a great track record. Trying to time these things however is difficult. If he's not off the board yet, why worry?
I never said I was worried, just pointing out why people might seem impatient.

I'll admit to being anxious and a bit worried. That said we are still recruiting some top level players and this class could still be a great one.

i'm getting reports now that Green is a lock - for Syracuse.

All we can say is that he hasn't decided on anything yet. The rest is just talk as far as I'm concerned and I'm goddamn sick of hearing it.

Understandable to get frusturated as I do too. I want Quade and Brissett to commit sooner rather than later, unfortunately recruiting is constantly changing and kids are always changing their mind and saying different things. Tucker is a situation that was not foreseen until somewhat recently, still believe Quade and Brissett sign with us early. Randolph we were the favorite for awhile. But understandable to get frusturated as I do too, I'm pretty sure Jake had the same info I did with Quade a few weeks back where we both thought this wouldn't go past Orange Madness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom