The schedule is never going to be easier | Syracusefan.com

The schedule is never going to be easier

Alsacs

Living Legend
We have a real good schedule this year.

7 home games which has been rare lately.

3 of the 4 OOC games are against teams we should beat. LSU is at the Dome and should bring real excitement.

Florida State and Louisville should be rebuilding and won't be as dominant this year off the bat.

Clemson is the favorite and coming to the Dome.

NC State and Boston College don't exactly scare you.

We drew the preseason 6th and 7th teams from the Coastal Division.

It is very possible that South Florida will be favored.
I tried expressing this opinion earlier this summer, but was basically told I am negative Nancy if I feel we shouldn't beat USF.
When I actually follow all college football and since USF tore the program down 2 years ago with Taggert and this is year 3 and we are on the road.
If we don't go atleast 3-1 in the OOC games we will have a new HC next year most likely.

donniesyracuse said:
It is very possible that South Florida will be favored.

Nope. Unlikely - they have FSU, Maryland, and Memphis before us. We have LSU.

They might have one win headed into our game. We might have one loss.

Alsacs said:
I tried expressing this opinion earlier this summer, but was basically told I am negative Nancy if I feel we shouldn't beat USF. When I actually follow all college football and since USF tore the program down 2 years ago with Taggert and this is year 3 and we are on the road. If we don't go atleast 3-1 in the OOC games we will have a new HC next year most likely.

You feel they will beat FSU, Maryland, and Memphis before our game? They might be a tough out for us - but given our opening stretch and theirs? We should be favored.

I tried expressing this opinion earlier this summer, but was basically told I am negative Nancy if I feel we shouldn't beat USF.
When I actually follow all college football and since USF tore the program down 2 years ago with Taggert and this is year 3 and we are on the road.
If we don't go atleast 3-1 in the OOC games we will have a new HC next year most likely.
I don't think you've been a negative nancy at all. You bring an honest approach to analysis.. That said, USF may be favored, but SU is winning that game! Louisville will be tough. Need our defense to really step up beyond their years this season!

Orangepace said:
I don't think you've been a negative nancy at all. You bring an honest approach to analysis.. That said, USF may be favored, but SU is winning that game! Louisville will be tough. Need our defense to really step up beyond their years this season!

Unless we crap the bed they won't be favored. They've been worse than us for longer, worse coaches, and will have 2-3 losses after 4 games.

I think we get to UVa with one loss. And they are not world beaters.

I think your concerns about USF are valid because there is no such thing as a guaranteed victory with Syracuse right now.

However, they were as bad or worse as us last year. Yeah, they have some talent. But we have some talent. So, while I'm not writing this down in pen, this is a winnable game.

We can't go full Rutgers with the schedule. Playing one big boy is ok with me.

I was being 100% sarcastic. I'm pretty much looking more forward to the LSU game than anything in the 2015 calendar year.

Nope. Unlikely - they have FSU, Maryland, and Memphis before us. We have LSU.

They might have one win headed into our game. We might have one loss.
Obviously, what happens between now and then can change things, but if the game is played tomorrow, South Florida should be favored at home; at least in my opinion. Either way, it is definitely not a "should win." It will be a "nice win."

We can't go full Rutgers with the schedule. Playing one big boy is ok with me.

Why not? Need to get the program up to where we have a realistic chance against said "big boys". With the ACC schedule, it does us absolutely no good to have one built-in loss every season when we need every win we can get to become bowl eligible.

Would be happy to eat crow if/when we beat LSU. And if we had won 8 games last year that'd be one thing. But we didn't, and need to get a bowl this year in the worst way.

Why not? Need to get the program up to where we have a realistic chance against said "big boys". With the ACC schedule, it does us absolutely no good to have one built-in loss every season when we need every win we can get to become bowl eligible.

Would be happy to eat crow if/when we beat LSU. And if we had won 8 games last year that'd be one thing. But we didn't, and need to get a bowl this year in the worst way.

I think we should at least schedule one P5 team per season. Maybe not an elite program like LSU, but Kentucky or Kansas.

The LSU game was scheduled April 2014 after we were coming off a 7 win bowl season. Nobody thought we would suck that bad last year.

And often times non-conference home-and-homes are scheduled years in advance.

I think we should at least schedule one P5 team per season. Maybe not an elite program like LSU, but Kentucky or Kansas.

I'd be fine with a Kansas, Indiana, Purdue, Colorado, but LSU/Notre Dame/USC/Penn State are out of our range right now.

Incidentally, we still need a non-conference game for 2017 (CMU, LSU, 1-AA, ?) and need two for 2018. Somebody needs to get moving on this.

I'd be fine with a Kansas, Indiana, Purdue, Colorado, but LSU/Notre Dame/USC/Penn State are out of our range right now.

Incidentally, we still need a non-conference game for 2017 (CMU, LSU, 1-AA, ?) and need two for 2018. Somebody needs to get moving on this.

Come on, man. It took a one-point overtime win in their bowl game last year for Penn State to avoid having a losing season. I could not possibly be less afraid of them.

All the teams you listed would be favored against us on a neutral field, but we could beat any of them in the Dome on a given day.

Some posters talk about LSU like they're 2001 Miami. They're probably going to be preseason #15ish with mediocre QB play. We can win that game.

Come on, man. It took a one-point overtime win in their bowl game last year for Penn State to avoid having a losing season. I could not possibly be less afraid of them.

All the teams you listed would be favored against us on a neutral field, but we could beat any of them in the Dome on a given day.

Some posters talk about LSU like they're 2001 Miami. They're probably going to be preseason #15ish with mediocre QB play. We can win that game.

Just saying how I see it. Hope I'm wrong and that we beat LSU (see post prior).

Would like to see a combination of UConn, Rutgers, WVU, USF/UCF, Army/Navy in the 2017/2018 OOC schedule.

I agree, Penn State are nowhere near world beaters, lol. Also agree LSU is winnable. If this offense gets going and we put up 30+ points, LSU's offense won't keep up. They've always struggled with QB play, and our defense has always been good against the run. This game will be more competitive then people think, IMO. LSU reloads with the best of them, but they lose key guys every year to the draft. It's hard to sustain even if you do pull down top 10 recruiting classes every year.

We competed well with USC in 2012, and with Penn State in 2013. That Penn State game was basically even and could've gone either way.

I think we should be playing one school like that, provided the other 3 are games we should win. Like this year.

Playing USC...along with Minnesota, Missouri, and Northwestern is dumb though.