The ship be sinkin'... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The ship be sinkin'...

docsu said:
Our biggest recruiting win in the last year has come from the football side. When we were 25-0 and number one in the country who would've taken that bet?

I don't know - but I like it. Football could use an upswing.

Cusefan0307 said:
This conference is loaded. We need elite guys to keep us at the top. We are 0-2 on our last top guys. People can spin Gilbert all they want, and be happy if he commit's, but we need to be honest with ourselves. Elite guys do not want to come here right now.

Ug. We won plenty of BE championships with less than top recruits.

Besides with recruiting it's usually about a string of rough recruiting cycles.

200x200px-ZC-3f0700ce_theendisnear.gif

Ug. We won plenty of BE championships with less than top recruits.

Besides with recruiting it's usually about a string of rough recruiting cycles.

This is not the 1990's Big East! That was the weakest the conference ever was. We are in the best confence in the country. We need to have a top fifteen class each year just to be guaranteed to finish in the top 5 of the conference.

the shy is falling- the sky is falling - ohh crap i thought this was the football side

these 2 kids arent going to make or brake the program anymore than any other lost recruit -

I am totally on board with Moqui. The sanctions are the killer. I do not think even Kentucky could overcome a three scholie loss for three years. The penalties seemed quite excessive relative to the so called crimes that were committed.

To me there are only two choices:

1. Find a way to have the penalties reduced to say a total of 5 scholies over the three years or

2. Accept that we will be relatively mediocre for at least the next three seasons and just deal with that reality.

As for Jimmy, he obviously bears some responsibility for the transgressions that occurred on his watch. You can argue all day long as to whether or not he bears a great deal of responsbility or just just a small amount, but I think it is inarguable to say he does bear at least some responsibility.

In terms of change, to change the coach now with harsh sanctions upcoming, that would be very unfair to the new guy and probabaly detrimental to the continuity of the program. Just let Jimmy ride herd for the next season or two and assuming Mike will, in fact,be the new guy, let him come in & Coach without having to deal with both a legacy succession and the severe penalties that would put him at a major disadvantage out of the gate. Mike has waited too long. When he does get his opportunity he deserves that it be a fair opportunity.
The problem is not just the sanctions, though they certainly hurt. IMO the biggest problem is that the program is now seen as unstable and uncertain. Forcing JB HOF coach and national personality out will be a major blow to recruiting. Battle is just the start. That Syverud added more uncertainity when he didn't publicly back Hopkins as the next coach hurts us immeasurably. From a recruit's perspective a new unnamed AD is coming and it is unknown who the HC will be be. It's possible that it's not Hop and that none of the current assistants will even be here when the recruit gets here. (Note: I am not saying this will happen just that from a recruit's perspective it is possible, there is no certainty). Big time recruits don't want uncertainty about the coach. If JB wasn't be forced out and he said he plans on being here for several more years the sanctions could be overcome by attracting just 1-2 top 20 rated players. 10 ships is workable if you get high level guys. I fear that Battle just signals the beginning of major recruiting problems until there is certainty and continuity of the coaching staff. I have been afraid of this ever since the JB presser and Syverud not publicly backing Hop. Those who think booting JB is going to help our recruiting are crazy.

The problem is not just the sanctions, though they certainly hurt. IMO the biggest problem is that the program is now seen as unstable and uncertain. Forcing JB HOF coach and national personality out will be a major blow to recruiting. Battle is just the start. That Syverud added more uncertainity when he didn't publicly back Hopkins as the next coach hurts us immeasurably. From a recruit's perspective a new unnamed AD is coming and it is unknown who the HC will be be. It's possible that it's not Hop and that none of the current assistants will even be here when the recruit gets here. (Note: I am not saying this will happen just that from a recruit's perspective it is possible, there is no certainty). Big time recruits don't want uncertainty about the coach. If JB wasn't be forced out and he said he plans on being here for several more years the sanctions could be overcome by attracting just 1-2 top 20 rated players. 10 ships is workable if you get high level guys. I fear that Battle just signals the beginning of major recruiting problems until there is certainty and continuity of the coaching staff. I have been afraid of this ever since the JB presser and Syverud not publicly backing Hop. Those who think booting JB is going to help our recruiting are crazy.

I get what you are saying, but there is a level of uncertainty at a lot of places, not just SU. I mean Cal is rumored to be taking an NBA job every offseason. That has to create at least a little bit of doubt in a recruit's mind. K, Roy, Pitino, etc. are all starting to get up there in age. Any one of them could retire at any time. These coaches all still pull in top level recruits. SU still does and will continue to do so, regardless of what the sky is falling crowd on here wants you to believe.

Cusefan0307 said:
This is not the 1990's Big East! That was the weakest the conference ever was. We are in the best confence in the country. We need to have a top fifteen class each year just to be guaranteed to finish in the top 5 of the conference.

It's all relative. Last I checked, we played 13 years in the BE since 2000. And competed very well thank you - in a conference seen as one of the top in that time period.

Top 5? We will be fine.

Our current roster doesn't have any first team ACC players and you can't compete in this league without that kind of talent. You have to wonder why in the past month they started offering anyone at the guard spot that were highly rated. I really thought this odd if they felt sure about Battles. I think today answers that question.

It's easy to overreact when losing a recruiting battle, especially when the player was clearly coveted by Syracuse. However, saying "the ship is sinking" is premature. Recruiting is maddeningly fluid, and even if SU was the perceived leader at one time, it's foolish to read too much into the decision of one teenage boy. Syracuse fans will have a favorable outlook towards the school, but for a recruit, he's being sold on all of these schools. Did the sanctions hurt Battle's recruitment? Perhaps. But each recruit has a unique set of priorities and interests. Syracuse still has the pedigree, exposure, and hall of fame coach to appeal to highly-rated players.

Sanctions will undoubtedly be a hindrance for the program, but in many ways Syracuse's sanctions late into Boeheim's career mirrors what occurred at UConn near the end of Calhoun's tenure. Times may seem dark immediately following the NCAA's punishment, but they can be overcome. Games are won on the floor, and even if Syracuse takes a slight step back in the caliber of recruit they sign, their fit into the Syracuse scheme is as important as anything. In the era of one-and-dones, developing slightly lower-rated prospects that fit a team's scheme is a completely viable way to succeed. Look at Wisconsin this past season, or UConn with their two championships in the past five years. Experienced teams that are molded by hall of fame caliber coaches is an extremely realistic and attainable way to achieve major success.

Our current roster doesn't have any first team ACC players and you can't compete in this league without that kind of talent. You have to wonder why in the past month they started offering anyone at the guard spot that were highly rated. I really thought this odd if they felt sure about Battles. I think today answers that question.

and we all know just how pathetic rak played this year - any kind of decent play and he might get the opportunity to get screwed with the voting-

puhlleeeese - no first team players my grammas fanny-

I think lot's of people expect the upcoming year to be a transition year. Everyone expects us to contend after that.

In regards to Malachi, he signed and committed before the sanctions. Even Jake said he would start panicking if Battle spurned us.
with all due respect, who cares what jake said. He is just another fan. We missed on a grand total of two guys. One wanted to get away and the other fell in love with another school. Oh the horror.

not exactly a big fan of JB. But come on, chances are we land Simmons or Murray. Lets not jump ship.

with all due respect, who cares what jake said. He is just another fan. We missed on a grand total of two guys. One wanted to get away and the other fell in love with another school. Oh the horror.

What's your take? We spent an awful lot of time on this guy, and really didn't get ourselves involved with anyone else. You still think we get a top 20 player to come here in 2016?

To my recollection most here felt Simmons was a distant third to Battle and Murray. I don't think people are being knee jerk here. We were landing these kids no problem a few years ago now we are getting screwed every which way. Not sure what the staff can do at this point to make up ground for 2016. It may be better to get Murray to reclassify for 2015 and offer him and not worry about 2016.

It's easy to overreact when losing a recruiting battle, especially when the player was clearly coveted by Syracuse. However, saying "the ship is sinking" is premature. Recruiting is maddeningly fluid, and even if SU was the perceived leader at one time, it's foolish to read too much into the decision of one teenage boy. Syracuse fans will have a favorable outlook towards the school, but for a recruit, he's being sold on all of these schools. Did the sanctions hurt Battle's recruitment? Perhaps. But each recruit has a unique set of priorities and interests. Syracuse still has the pedigree, exposure, and hall of fame coach to appeal to highly-rated players.

Sanctions will undoubtedly be a hindrance for the program, but in many ways Syracuse's sanctions late into Boeheim's career mirrors what occurred at UConn near the end of Calhoun's tenure. Times may seem dark immediately following the NCAA's punishment, but they can be overcome. Games are won on the floor, and even if Syracuse takes a slight step back in the caliber of recruit they sign, their fit into the Syracuse scheme is as important as anything. In the era of one-and-dones, developing slightly lower-rated prospects that fit a team's scheme is a completely viable way to succeed. Look at Wisconsin this past season, or UConn with their two championships in the past five years. Experienced teams that are molded by hall of fame caliber coaches is an extremely realistic and attainable way to achieve major success.

Good first post - post more often.

What's your take? We spent an awful lot of time on this guy, and really didn't get ourselves involved with anyone else. You still think we get a top 20 player to come here in 2016?
I don't have any idea. I don't know if battle is going to stick with Michigan, either. I do know that we have missed on guys for 50 years that we just had to have. And somehow, we survived.

Matt Gorman 2.0
Anyone ever tell you that you are a half glass full type of guy. Gorman never started a game at Syracuse that I can remember.

Anyone ever tell you that you are a half glass full type of guy. Gorman never started a game at Syracuse that I can remember.

I was referring to the annual off season reports that "Matt Gorman looks terrific in practice!" Since then, I take all such reports with heaping helpings of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom