The Smart Scheduling Bowl | Syracusefan.com

The Smart Scheduling Bowl

BC vs Maryland. We are better than both of those teams and we aren't good. Scheduling, scheduling scheduling.

Some day we will learn. Hope I'm alive to see it.

You don't build a program over-scheduling and playing good teams tough but always losing and walking away with moral victories.

Winning breads Winning!

BC vs Maryland. We are better than both of those teams and we aren't good. Scheduling, scheduling scheduling.
BC beat UMass, Wagner, Buffalo, NC State, UConn and WF. 2 FCS teams (almost 3).
Maryland beat Howard, FIU, UCF, Purdue, Michigan State and Rutgers. 1 FCS team (almost 5)
Clearly, at this point at least, we need to feast on our 4 OOC games. We play enough marquee teams in our division alone w/FSU, Louisville and powerhouse Clemson. As Steve Martin's Wild & Crazy Czech brother Yortuk Festrunk might say, "Pleaski. Give me a breakski."
Sad season is over even though we took our licks. Need to back into a bowl next year and make it happen in 2018. I'm not sure what "it" means, but it ain't 4-8.
Of the 14 ACC teams only SU, Duke and Virginia aren't bowling.
A team like Georgia Tech that has a relatively low national profile (rarely part of the "national conversation") went to a bowl 19 straight years (except last year). Va Tech in a bowl game every year since 1993. Pitt 7 coaches in the last 8 years (3 interim) and goes bowling every year. And don't even talk to me about Dontez Ford.

My whine/rant over, I'm hopeful (there's that word again) Babers will turn it around w/improved recruiting, player development and more Amba Etta-Tawos. Go Orange!

You don't build a program over-scheduling and playing good teams tough but always losing and walking away with moral victories.

Winning breads Winning!
For the life of me I cannot figure out why some people here struggle with this. The casual fans at my work want to see the "big" games in the dome, but are the first to jump off the band wagon when they go winless through September

Winning breads Winning!
Would love to win some bread, as long as it's from Columbus bakery.

Even for contenders it makes no sense to schedule tough OOC, at least based on what happened to Ped State not making it in and Washington making it in. You think PSU would like to change that Pitt loss to a win over Florida Atlantic? They would probably be in.

BC beat UMass, Wagner, Buffalo, NC State, UConn and WF. 2 FCS teams (almost 3).
Maryland beat Howard, FIU, UCF, Purdue, Michigan State and Rutgers. 1 FCS team (almost 5)
Clearly, at this point at least, we need to feast on our 4 OOC games. We play enough marquee teams in our division alone w/FSU, Louisville and powerhouse Clemson. As Steve Martin's Wild & Crazy Czech brother Yortuk Festrunk might say, "Pleaski. Give me a breakski."
Sad season is over even though we took our licks. Need to back into a bowl next year and make it happen in 2018. I'm not sure what "it" means, but it ain't 4-8.
Of the 14 ACC teams only SU, Duke and Virginia aren't bowling.
A team like Georgia Tech that has a relatively low national profile (rarely part of the "national conversation") went to a bowl 19 straight years (except last year). Va Tech in a bowl game every year since 1993. Pitt 7 coaches in the last 8 years (3 interim) and goes bowling every year. And don't even talk to me about Dontez Ford.

My whine/rant over, I'm hopeful (there's that word again) Babers will turn it around w/improved recruiting, player development and more Amba Etta-Tawos. Go Orange!

Speaking of Ga Tech, I was amused when their HC Paul Johnson told an Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper reporter after the 28-27 win over Georgia, "Not bad for an 8oth ranked recruiting class".

Even for contenders it makes no sense to schedule tough OOC, at least based on what happened to Ped State not making it in and Washington making it in. You think PSU would like to change that Pitt loss to a win over Florida Atlantic? They would probably be in.

I read that Pitt fans are very happy about the fact that their victory over Psu did double duty!

We deserve everything we get at Syracuse. The fact we aren't bowling vs BC is an embarrassment of the highest order. BC was smart this year. They scheduled patsies across the board and rewarded their fans with an exotic game in Ireland vs a conference opponent. It felt like an OOC game but it wasn't.

We should try this model. Play BC in Belfast or something so we can wear our all Orange garb and get the religious juices flowing. Then follow it up with out of conference games vs Army, Colgate, Buffalo and Uconn.

BC is going to leverage their bowl game by finally landing some recruits and being somewhat respectable soon. Their down years have actually created 3 bowls in 4 years. I'm very worried about them getting good again. It's not an automatic win by any means.

I count one FCS team in there (Wagner).
Didn't realize now independent UMass (2-10) upticked in 2013 to FBS. The larger point being we play these teams, we'd likely get 6 wins too.

hey we had nc st and wake and ND on our schedule how much easier do we want it

hey we had nc st and wake and ND on our schedule how much easier do we want it

the ND game is a great example of bad scheduling coupled with whorish money grabs by the university. That game, if it's at the Dome, may have been a much closer affair. That game in NYC is 85% ND fans. It's preposterous. We didn't win one of those Meadowland games.

Darryl Gross used the Washington General business plan for Syracuse football.

I would rather be SU than BC at this point in time regardless of the bowl.

Had we beaten Wake and one other we'd be there.

And I like seeing an LSU and a ND on the schedule.

I would personally schedule 4 home patsies like BC did. That said, and I HATE to say this, but BC beat 2 teams we lost to; Nit State and Wake. We are much better than BC and Wake but the scoreboard is all that matters.

Doesn't get easier. At LSU in 2017, at ND in 2018, Wisky i believe kicks in 2019 or 2020.

I would rather be SU than BC at this point in time regardless of the bowl.

Had we beaten Wake and one other we'd be there.

And I like seeing an LSU and a ND on the schedule.

We actually would have been there with just one more win, 5-7 would have gotten us in this year. crazy though that is.

We have to play ND since that is the deal between them and the ACC. LSU? Please, let's break that 15 year streak of being unranked before we think of scheduling OOC teams like them (or Wisconsin).

the ND game is a great example of bad scheduling coupled with whorish money grabs by the university. That game, if it's at the Dome, may have been a much closer affair. That game in NYC is 85% ND fans. It's preposterous. We didn't win one of those Meadowland games.

Darryl Gross used the Washington General business plan for Syracuse football.

Good grief. Those "whorish money grabs" were when we were in the BE and needed money to stay afloat. I prefer "shrewd move to keep a proud program alive"...

That said, with ACC $ we don't need to do that anymore and should schedule to get to bowls 1st.

Just so everyone's clear...

BC won't be able to continue this wonderful tradition. They have to play 1 Power 5 team non conference going forward. They were smart to schedule Purdue as that team in the near future although who knows if the new coach can get them back to Tiller days.

The ND game for us might be a holdover from the Gross Big East era, but we have to play them regardless as part of the ACC arrangement with them. So if we didn't play them this year, we'd be playing them in a future year and people would still be moaning about it. BC will be playing ND 2 of the next 3 years.

Where SU appeared to miscalculate was with USF. Some of it might be bad luck/timing. They had a rough start to 2015, but since they hit their stride (which started with us last year), they are 17-4. I don't think they can sustain that. Lesson is probably that since we're in a league with 2 of Florida's 3 prominent teams, we don't need to play one OOC. There should be enough of a presence to recruit there.

Woulda coulda shoulda mightof. You are what your record says you are.

That cliché is all fine and good Mr. Parcells, we all know that we were a bad team this year. We also know that BC and Maryland are just as bad if not worse than us, yet they are going to a bowl and getting the extra practices because they were smart with whom they scheduled. If you are going to stink, you might as well game the system and get to a bowl while stinking.

Woulda coulda shoulda mightof. You are what your record says you are.

That's bullspit.
As MD and BC are clearly proving, yet again.

And teams like Duke, Baylor, NC State, and even Rutgers (before they cratered, yet again) also proved in prior years, over and over -
schedule cupcakes in the OOC, take the 3-4 wins into your conference season, and give yourself an excellent change to go bowling every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom