The Smart Scheduling Bowl | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Smart Scheduling Bowl

ugh. dislike.

we're rebuilding a program. How can we get out of mediocrity by continuing these scheduling practices. Not saying we do it forever, but we need to shake off the last 15 years respectable W-L records
Not convinced you break mediocrity by scheduling weak opponents. Didn't seem to help back in the day. Doubtful a high ranked recruit is going to be swayed by seeing SU in a minor bowl in an empty stadium. Hard enough to get fans in the dome, never mind traveling to a no name bowl - which i think only hurts our reputation.

I think djorange1989's post showed that we have peen playing these games (and losing) since 2009 and we have seen little to no attributable impact on recruiting. To many of these kids graduating high school they see Syracuse as a bottom tier P5 team. This perception needs to be broken which is going to be hard to do when you have 3 baked in losses to start the season barring a fluke.

I'd like to schedule some creampuffs and see how HCDB can recruit coming off a few 6-7 win seasons. I know the guy can recruit and I think if you can give him some wins to sell and show these kids that things are turning around. I also think it will put more butts in the seats ultimately because winning builds hope among the fan base, and the players

Finally, I think playing lower levels of competition for these games would reduce the wear and tear on our players, hopefully reducing injuries, and at the same time allowing for some of the backups and youth to get on the field and get some reps. JMO

BC has gone to 3 bowls in 4 seasons.

So BC is a perfect case study to test the hypothesis in these threads that scheduling weak can build a program long-term.

In a few years, let's bump this thread and see where BC is and either myself or the majority of folks in this thread can admit they were wrong.

I know.

I guess I was referring to the option of playing Colgate/UB/UMass/Maine/East Stroudsburg State vs. playing LSU, Wisconsin, ND.

I guess I'm just a "system poster"???

I can't help it???

I just think the mindset of the old AD and a lot of us hasn't yet accepted what playing in our division of the ACC means.

Monumental challenge? Check
Top ten team in the dome most every year? Check

Not convinced you break mediocrity by scheduling weak opponents. Didn't seem to help back in the day. Doubtful a high ranked recruit is going to be swayed by seeing SU in a minor bowl in an empty stadium. Hard enough to get fans in the dome, never mind traveling to a no name bowl - which i think only hurts our reputation.

Yeah but what we're doing now isn't working either.

I think djorange1989's post showed that we have peen playing these games (and losing) since 2009 and we have seen little to no attributable impact on recruiting. To many of these kids graduating high school they see Syracuse as a bottom tier P5 team. This perception needs to be broken which is going to be hard to do when you have 3 baked in losses to start the season barring a fluke.

I'd like to schedule some creampuffs and see how HCDB can recruit coming off a few 6-7 win seasons. I know the guy can recruit and I think if you can give him some wins to sell and show these kids that things are turning around. I also think it will put more butts in the seats ultimately because winning builds hope among the fan base, and the players

Finally, I think playing lower levels of competition for these games would reduce the wear and tear on our players, hopefully reducing injuries, and at the same time allowing for some of the backups and youth to get on the field and get some reps. JMO

Look at (I hate myself right now) NC State. Years of really horrible OOC led to some recruiting momentum which led to almost knocking off Clemson, Clemson. Duke followed that same path.

BC is too, but Addazzio is a mediocre meathead coach with no offense and no recruiting momentum. (And they played and beat USC two years ago!)

So BC is a perfect case study to test the hypothesis in these threads that scheduling weak can build a program long-term.

In a few years, let's bump this thread and see where BC is and either myself or the majority of folks in this thread can admit they were wrong.

Naw. Their coach is an anchor. Try NC State or better yet, Duke.

Also see above point about playing and winning vs a top OOC opponent and how that worked out for them long term.

I just think the mindset of the old AD and a lot of us hasn't yet accepted what playing in our division of the ACC means.

Monumental challenge? Check
Top ten team in the dome most every year? Check

The mindset of the old AD - Gross - is the same as the mindset of the old, old AD - Crouthamel.

Both learned that the only way to sell tickets in CNY with a mediocre program is to schedule strong programs.

With the move to the ACC, the calculus is different I guess, but I still would rather go see interesting programs than teams like Maine or Cobleskill.

and yet not 1 loss ever cost us a bowl game.

but we gained a 4star QB in DeVito.

WE go 5-7 this season we bowl. And you watched the game from your couch. SAD!

Yeah but what we're doing now isn't working either.
We haven't been doing it long enough. I feel better about the current commitment to the program than I ever have - going back over 30 years. IPF, exciting AD, exciting head coach, ACC conference, Dome renovation will do more to improve our product than scheduling.

That said, an area I hadn't thought about and agree strongly with is Janner's comments about reducing wear and tear and giving reps to backups and youth.

WE go 5-7 this season we bowl. And you watched the game from your couch. SAD!
I forgot they gave out bids at 5 Wins.

but I was so much more comfortable that way this year...:noidea:

go give your Milli Vanilli its 1 billionth listen, queue up the wake game and 'blame it on the rain'... ;)

Oh Lord

The mindset of the old AD - Gross - is the same as the mindset of the old, old AD - Crouthamel.

Both learned that the only way to sell tickets in CNY with a mediocre program is to schedule strong programs.

With the move to the ACC, the calculus is different I guess, but I still would rather go see interesting programs than teams like Maine or Cobleskill.

That's what I'm saying - the calculus is wrong. We were in a stronger position when the BE had Miami and VaTech. When they (and BC left) we got weaker (Robinson) at the same time the conference got weaker. We needed the money and better opponents to stay relevant - so Gross inked the deal.

Marrone gets us close but jets before we join the ACC. We join the ACC, get money and better opponents - but insist on scheduling like we're the Syracuse team that knocked off Nebraska and competed with Miami.

We need a "catch your breath couple of years" where we schedule down in the OOC and build towards playing great conference and 1 great OOC.

(That all to say, I want: 1 FCS, 2 FBS and 1 low P5)

Stealing this from the Nunes podcast, but what is the downside to scheduling two FCS teams?

Stealing this from the Nunes podcast, but what is the downside to scheduling two FCS teams?

It's one thing to schedule smart; it's quite another to schedule like a
kitten-in-arms-thinkstockphotos-106397271-335lc070915jpg.jpg

Live look at Herm when these scheduling suggestions are made.

I agree. Was playing devils advocate. Here's more:

If there are not enough bowl teams as it is... and many here look back so fondly on our 1st Pinstripe appearance (Look! Progress!) while forgetting our SOS...

And we'd still be playing FSU/Clemson/Louisville every year...

I don't get your analogy

Schedule like a kitten? a cat? a feline? a long haired tabby?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom