The stipend payout is pretty big deal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The stipend payout is pretty big deal

Some books are non-billable, meaning that the student has to buy them on their own. Check this page.

Tried to find what the athletic scholarship costs, but can't seem to find anything. Plus, bcubs states that players are thinking it's going to be up to $3K this year.
Rumor is that there is an increase in the works. When, and how much is anybody's guess.

Not standardizing it to avoid recruiting advantages makes no sense at all. Oh Lord

I think it should be like the NFL draft. Worst P5 team gets highest stipend that next recruiting year, and so on down. Let's level the playing field.

Non P5 team players should get $50 and a bag of apples.

Good question. I couldn't find old info for Tennessee, but I did for The University of Texas at Austin.

Transportation cost for 2010-11 was $1200. It is now $1490.

Personal expenses for 2010-11 was $2424. It is now $2820.

I agree that it looks like Syracuse is under-estimating these figures to try and keep their total cost competitive with other schools. Not a good practice, I hope they update the numbers to reflect reality a little more in the future.

UT Austin 2010-11
UT Austin today

Basically private schools are at a disadvantage because of labor laws. If the stipends increase then your going to see more private schools get challenges from their players potentially trying to unionize a la Northwestern.
The NCAA needs to put a limit on that amount for COA and then leave that up to the schools for much they want to give. If the COA is unregulated then private schools have to be worried about making COA too high or it is dangerously close to being an employer/employee relationships rather than college-student-athlete relationship.

The P5 need to come together and create somewhat level fields.

"The vote, taken during the NCAA's annual convention, redefines an athletic scholarship so that it can cover not only the traditional tuition, room, board, books and fees, but also the incidental costs of attending college. That means a scholarship will now be able to pay for items including transportation and miscellaneous personal expenses."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dance-student-athletes-scholarships/21921073/
Transportation has to be a big chunk of this.

A better solution, IMO, would be for the NCAA to set a fixed "pizza money" cost that each school can dole out. Things like transportation home, extra books or other actual school-related supplies, should be billable to the AD, rather than covered through a cash grant to the student. The school is still on the hook for the differential costs, but the player doesn't see the monetary difference. Everyone gets "X trips home", which puts everyone on an equal footing from the players' perspective. "Everyone's full cost of school-related supplies" is covered. Equal footing. Everyone gets $2500 pizza money for the year. Equal footing. If folks want to argue about how pizza costs $11.95 in Madison and $10.77 in Baton Rouge, well, have at it.

Shouldn't travel expenses be a sliding scale based on where the students family lives? Our Alabama, Florida and Georgia kids should probably be getting more here than Nick Robinson from Baldwinsville. Hell we have a kicker from London. How far across the pond is $642 going to get him?

As the COA is the difference between what it really costs to attend school and what the scholarship actually paid out, so what the report is really saying is that Syracuse has honestly been covering kid's expenses while the Big State U's have been cheating the kids. Any marketing gurus who can help spin this for recruiting purposes?

As the COA is the difference between what it really costs to attend school and what the scholarship actually paid out, so what the report is really saying is that Syracuse has honestly been covering kid's expenses while the Big State U's have been cheating the kids. Any marketing gurus who can help spin this for recruiting purposes?
I made that same point when the numbers were first released. "Tennessee has been exploiting the underprivileged for decades!"

Shouldn't travel expenses be a sliding scale based on where the students family lives? Our Alabama, Florida and Georgia kids should probably be getting more here than Nick Robinson from Baldwinsville. Hell we have a kicker from London. How far across the pond is $642 going to get him?

Again COA is part of Higher Ed Law. I think it would be too difficult to figure out on a case-by-case basis for processing financial aid and student loan packages. So the government lets the school do "an average" figure as long as the institution has some documentation on file for auditors as to how they arrived at the average.

Cheers,
Neil

Again COA is part of Higher Ed Law. I think it would be too difficult to figure out on a case-by-case basis for processing financial aid and student loan packages. So the government lets the school do "an average" figure as long as the institution has some documentation on file for auditors as to how they arrived at the average.

Cheers,
Neil

So how would Tennessee, with what one would assume would be a high in state enrollment, come up with a travel number so much higher than private schools which one would presume to have a larger % of of state enrollment?

why not have travel costs be done thru the school and give the kid no money at all.. then every school is on equal ground and its all documented. school paid for kid to get from a to b and back again. if its really travel money why use any real dollar values.. Why should Coleman who can ride the bus home get to pocket the money and a kid who lives in Sout Africa lost money on the deal?

then the incidental costs would be the only fuzzy math part. The schools/ncaa already pay for things like travel for bowl games when kids go home and back to some other location for the game.

So how would Tennessee, with what one would assume would be a high in state enrollment, come up with a travel number so much higher than private schools which one would presume to have a larger % of of state enrollment?

I think that was my point above of not knowing what they previously had listed as travel expenses. Without knowing what it was in previous years prior to COA for athletes being talked about is this an unusually high bump (or artificial inflation to improve their recruiting) or has it been a certain amount all along that has steadily gone up within reasonable inflation adjustments? Whatever the answer is there, it is my gut feeling that the amount for Syracuse is probably well under "average" for it's students int terms of both travel and personal expenses, in order to keep the Total COA down which is the advertise sticker price.

Cheers,
Neil

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of SU vs Tenn

Tuition and Fees

Syracuse - 43318
Tenn In-State - 12436 or Tenn Out of State - 30856

Books and Supplies

Syracuse - 1412
Tennessee - 1598

Room and Board

Syracuse - 14880
Tennessee - 9926

Personal

Syracuse - 990
Tennessee - 4002

Transportation

Syracuse - 642
Tennessee - 1664

Total COA

Syracuse - 61242
Tennessee In State - 29626
Tennessee Out of State - 48046

To avoid complete sticker shock, Syracuse likely has to keep as low as possible the items that they can (Personal and Transportation) since parents tend to look look at the Total Cost more so than simply the hard costs of the first three items alone.

The interesting bit of information I would like to know is has the University of Tennessee's Personal and Transportation costs always been this high over the past three years or so, or do the above figures represent a huge increase over previous years.

Because the whole purpose for showing Total COA is tied to Higher Ed Law in terms of financial aid. And every year an institution hires independent auditors to come in and part of their review is looking at COA. And any increase that cannot be explained through ordinary inflation should result in them asking for the documentation used to determine each cost listed.

Cheers,
Neil
The players at Tennessee are going to owe Uncle Sam most of that money, there is no way the IRS is going to by that kind of difference in Personal, and Transportation costs between schools.

Trueblue25 said:
unregulated student athletes stipends. This is the dumbest shi- i've heard in a while from the NCAA.

Some of you are funny. You complain when the NCAA mandates something now you complain when they don't and leave something up to the school.

Um - this is already about. And starting this year.

I know people are going to say that Syracuse calculated COA just like everyone else, but if they really wanted to they could have evaluated COA differently and came up with a number more in line with every other school ($3-4K range).

Well we need to start cooking the books then because we're going to be screwed.

The players at Tennessee are going to owe Uncle Sam most of that money, there is no way the IRS is going to by that kind of difference in Personal, and Transportation costs between schools.

Yeah but Uncle Sam doesn't care who's writing that check whether it be the player themselves, their family, or a booster after the fact. Money is money to them.

Stop being cheap and spend the $$$$$$$ to get the recruits. This isn't rocket science.

Cost of attendance should really reflect the cost of living at the designated school...BC and USC in reality should have two of the highest COAs while Auburn and Mississippi State should be at the bottom. At the same time, USC and BC shouldn't be misleading prospective students on these costs. Hopefully it'll all even out.

This isn't an SEC vs. the rest of the P-5 issue... it's even an intra-SEC issue. UGA feels slighted by Auburn's TCoA figures. Compare Vanderbilt and Tennessee... who knew that Knoxville was costlier than Nashville? ;)

Private schools clearly sharpen the pencil on this to keep apps and enrollment up and this COA number low.

Also I wonder how many extras are included at SU where at the state U it is all parceled out as extras that are not required unless you want to do something, read anything. This would keep the non COA number as low as possible for low income in state students.

I looked at Tenn, their pre 2013 number is similar to this year. However their student fee structure is huge and complicated. I'm guessing the number is not sharpened and you'd burn through the cash faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom