THE SUPER OFFICIAL, FOOTBALL-TALK THREAD | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

THE SUPER OFFICIAL, FOOTBALL-TALK THREAD

Giants tickets came last week, each game has the Giant GOAT for a specific position on it.

lot of usual suspects, LT, Gifford, Strahan, Amani etc...

talking point is...Eli over Simms.

discuss

belichickThrowsRedFlag.gif

Nope. MLB--->Malice Loving Brute
Was it Goggins that had the great line about how he was a beast utterly lacking in human sensibility or something like that? Your post just reminded me of that.

its football talk.

you didnt specify.

No way, man. This thread is for FOOTBALL talk.

Not GOAT debates.

This is where we devote 150 posts to dissecting the zone blitz SU ran on 3rd down and 7 in the 2nd quarter against NC State.

FOOTBALL.

chalkboard_football.jpg

Was it Goggins that had the great line about how he was a beast utterly lacking in human sensibility or something like that? Your post just reminded me of that.

That's a warning, dude. Flag's coming next.

FOOTBALL TALK.

steele-tyson105.jpg

I mentioned this before on here, but new TE coach Acosta was my high school gym teacher. Anyway, I ran into him the other day in New Jersey. After talking a bit about the high school, we got into talking about SU football.

He mentioned to me the fact that the sole reason he was hired is to outsell SU to NJ recruits who would otherwise favor Rutgers. He said that the basis for his pitch is SU being in the ACC. He has realized from talking to recruits that those on the east coast want to stay on the east coast. They don't want to play games in the rust-belt that is the midwest. He also said that Rutgers is looking worse and worse in the eyes of recruits since so many players are transferring.

Then we got talking about the actual team. He said that he looks forward to the playbook being opened a lot more this season. More passes, more taking chances. He said that Terrell is no longer "green" back there and should have a great year.

I then asked about our receivers and TEs. However, he said that for this information he needed "tree-fiddy". Shocked, I began to look a little bit harder at Coach Acosta. Then I realized this wasn't SU's new TE coach and my old gym teacher. This was an 8ft tall left over from the paleozoic era. It was that damned loch ness monster. I promptly got in my car and drove home.

Last edited:
Okay, I will bite.

Some of the players on defense have said they expect more Okie this season. I think pretty much everyone expects it at this point.

Who will play the Okie for Syracuse this year? What what will our defensive line look like when we go Okie?

I am thinking Desir or Kelly, whichever one does not start at strong safety (pretty sure Desir), is going to be the guy. And Coleman and Crume will probably come out, replaced by a more mobile DE type in the middle. So we will probably see a grouping like Thompson, Simmons and Johnson most of the time on the DL when in the Okie.

No way, man. This thread is for FOOTBALL talk.

Not GOAT debates.

This is where we devote 150 posts to dissecting the zone blitz SU ran on 3rd down and 7 in the 2nd quarter against NC State.

FOOTBALL.

chalkboard_football.jpg
my bad, i love it when the board discusses football and its favorite player...

mcnabb+vomit.jpg

One thing I'm looking forward to/concerned about is how well the hurry up operates against Villanova. If the reports are true that things have been simplified/Hunt's taken a step forward/the line is in great shape/we've streamlined playcalling and communication/McDonald has grown as an OC... that'll reveal itself pretty early, much like the disorganization revealed itself early last season.

If we actually are going to play fast and can execute, and take on the identity of the Northeast's speedy offense, I think we can start dreaming big.

For sure. I wonder if they will go full bore right out of the gate on a weak opponent or will they be a little slower to save something for Maryland.

I'm hoping for fast - as it's tempo (you've seen it but can you stop it) vs scheme (you haven't see it on purpose).

I mentioned this before on here, but new TE coach Acosta was my high school gym teacher. Anyway, I ran into him the other day in New Jersey. After talking a bit about the high school, we got into talking about SU football.

He mentioned to me the fact that the sole reason he was hired is to outsell SU to NJ recruits who would otherwise favor Rutgers. He said that the basis for his pitch is SU being in the ACC. He has realized from talking to recruits that those on the east coast want to stay on the east coast. They don't want to play games in the rust-belt that is the midwest. He also said that Rutgers is looking worse and worse in the eyes of recruits since so many players are transferring.

Then we got talking about the actual team. He said that he looks forward to the playbook being opened a lot more this season. More passes, more taking chances. He said that Terrell is no longer "green" back there and should have a great year.

I then asked about our receivers and TEs. However, he said that for this information he needed "tree-fiddy". Shocked, I began to look a little bit harder at Coach Acosta. Then I realized this wasn't SU's new TE coach and my old gym teacher. This was an 8ft tall left over from the paleozoic era. It was that damned loch ness monster. I promptly got in my car and drove home.
Dammit I really thought you were serious for a second. Bravo.

True athlete or Hollywood make believe? Discuss ...
images

One thing I'm looking forward to/concerned about is how well the hurry up operates against Villanova. If the reports are true that things have been simplified/Hunt's taken a step forward/the line is in great shape/we've streamlined playcalling and communication/McDonald has grown as an OC... that'll reveal itself pretty early, much like the disorganization revealed itself early last season.

If we actually are going to play fast and can execute, and take on the identity of the Northeast's speedy offense, I think we can start dreaming big.

You can start dreaming big.

You wanna talk football? Ok, let's talk about Jay Bromley on a play last year against Maryland...

With 11:50 or so left in the 2nd qtr, Maryland has a 3rd & 8 from their own 38. They throw a kickout screen to their back in the flats, Bromley reads it, disengages with the center and hauls ass to tackle the running back from behind near the numbers on the field for only a 2 yard gain. 4th down, punt. The announcers: "And look at Bromley cover the ground and go get him at the 40-yard line. Boy, Jay Bromley is a 285-290 pound defensive tackle making that play. And that's the key, with this Syracuse defense, they're big, but it's so key they can run sideline-to-sideline and Maryland on offense continues to struggle to pick up their defensive pressure. How bout the big fella?"

Here is the link to watch on espn3.com (go to 52:25 mark):

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1215707/size/condensed/

This is what we need our DTs to be able to do. Jam gaps and be able to disengage from their blocks and lay hammers on guys in the flats. If not, just lay somebody on the opposing team the F out. We're going to miss him, but at some point, Harvey and Samuels will be doing this to teams.

ImperialOrange said:
Would depend on down, distance, score, and time remaining.

I vote we get rid of the term "weak side LB". We don't have any LB's that should have weak in their title.

WARRIOR SIDE LINE BACKER

Rocco said:
You wanna talk football? Ok, let's talk about Jay Bromley on a play last year against Maryland...

With 11:50 or so left in the 2nd qtr, Maryland has a 3rd & 8 from their own 38. They throw a kickout screen to their back in the flats, Bromley reads it, disengages with the center and hauls ass to tackle the running back from behind near the numbers on the field for only a 2 yard gain. 4th down, punt. The announcers: "And look at Bromley cover the ground and go get him at the 40-yard line. Boy, Jay Bromley is a 285-290 pound defensive tackle making that play. And that's the key, with this Syracuse defense, they're big, but it's so key they can run sideline-to-sideline and Maryland on offense continues to struggle to pick up their defensive pressure. How bout the big fella?"

Here is the link to watch on espn3.com (go to 52:25 mark):

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1215707/size/condensed/

This is what we need our DTs to be able to do. Jam gaps and be able to disengage from their blocks and lay hammers on guys in the flats. If not, just lay somebody on the opposing team the F out. We're going to miss him, but at some point, Harvey and Samuels will be doing this to teams.

My feeling is this type of play is what the staff is looking for out of Zeke Johnson in the middle, sound like a good fit. DT That can haul a$$

There's one thing I can say about SU now that we haven't been able to say in a while. It seems like the staff, the team, recruiting... they've been at a pretty consistent level. Never too low when the times are bad (in the last 5 years), unlike that of Florida, who can be a crap shoot any year now, or so it seems. Consistency is key, as long as the progress is consistent, as well.