The Upside- Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Well, we won. It sure beats losing. Our dreams of going to a bowl game are still alive, even if we are holding an IV.

- Eric Dungey is starting to get some national publicity He followed up a game in which he threw for 311 yards and ran for 106 with a game where he threw for 434 and ran for 54. He’s also gutsy and feisty, (a little too much at times). I’ll be those players around him would follow him anywhere. He’s on a pace for 336 completions in 519 attempts for 3,947 yards, 23TDs and 9 interceptions. Ryan Nassib in 2012 had the best previous season by an SU passer with 294/471 for 3749, 26/10. And he’s just a sophomore with a lot to learn about reading defenses, throwing technique and sensing what’s going on around him. He’s only going to get better. Dino Baber’s passers in his second year: Jimmy Garoppolo: 375/568 for 5,050 and 53/9; Mike Johnson: 383/569 for 4946, 46TDs and 8 picks. We could see something like that next year.

- He’s blessed with a great group of receivers. He’d gone away from just looking for Etta Tawo all the time to give Ismael, Estime and Phillips some business and now the defense has to cover all of them, which isn’t possible. Alec lemon holds the SU record for receptions in a season with 72 and Marvin Harrison ahs the record for yards with 1141. ET had 66 receptions for 1074 yards and 7 scores with 4 games to go. Tommy Kane’s record of 14TD receptions is probably safe but the others are toast. Phillips has become a wonderful underneath weapon at the goal line because, as an ex-running back, he knows how to get past people and into the end zone., as he did on that first score, (which was actually counted as a rushing touchdown because the pass was backwards). Steve Ismael, after disappearing in the early games, has now again become a big target. He can make catches others wouldn’t dream of. That one for our third score today will make all the top tens. And The Salt Badger is always a threat to take one all the way – as a receiver or a kick returner, (and he finally replaced Riley on the kick-offs late in the game: he needs the ball in his hands as much as possible. Here are their numbers, projected through 12 games: Etta-Tawo 99R 1,611 yards 11TDs; Phillips: 90R 861 yards 8 scores; Ismael 62R 725 yards 2 scores and Estime 47R 584 yards 5 TDs, (all the TD’s were .5 rounded up). We’ve never had anything like this before. Few teams have.

- BC is a limited team and our defense did have that one “nobody’s home” play but overall the guys on that side of the ball played pretty well for the third straight game. Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett were again making big hits all over the field. Davion Ellison had some big hits. Josh Black had a big sack.

- There were some positives on special teams: Estime had a 27 yard punt return. Sterling Hofrichter got off four punts under pressure and save the day after a bad snap on one of them. I was glad to see Estime getting out there on kick-offs, too. There will be that many more chances to break one. You know he will.

- BC came in 4th in the country in total defense with 253 yards per game. We got 532. They were also 4th in pass defense with 150 yards per game. We got 434. They just hadn’t played the ‘Cuse yet.

- In the past we were at a disadvantage trying to attract a good bowl because we had a boring offense. Now our offense will be a plus. We are many things but we are not boring.

- Clemson, North Carolina State, Florida State, Pittsburgh. I think there just might be two wins in there somewhere.

4-4 with 4+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
Thank God I read the downside before the upside, because if I had read it in reverse order I would probably have a lashed myself to the railroad tracks! We do have a mercurial team, and the fans no less so. "Fun" to watch, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom