The Upside - Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I was wondering how this team would play two days after a great effort but a disappointing loss and playing against a team they would have a hard time getting up for. The answer is they played well, very aggressively defense, forcing 18 turnovers and holding the Red Raiders to 21% shooting and only 13 points in the first half when the game was decided.

- Jim Boeheim had them in a press. Was it because he wanted to work on that defense, one he generally eschews? Was it because Colgate might be particularly susceptible to it? Or was it because the Hall of Famer thought that playing in an aggressive defensive mode would energize his troops and eliminate any chance that they’d be in a funk after the loss Saturday? Hmmmm….

- We had our first turnover 24 minutes into the game, quite a change.

- When Trevor Cooney hit a three-point with 11:16 left, he had out-scored Colgate 20-19. Unfortunately, he was unable to maintain the lead. But he’s becoming the guy in whose hand I most want the ball. He’s got a strong handle, si a quick driver, a good passer and has developed a pull up jumper. It’s helped his outside game. He went 4 for 9 from the arc but was 4 for 6 inside it. He added 4 assists and no turnovers. He’s scored 62 points in the last three games He’s 11 for 22 from the arc in those games. He’s becoming the all-around scorer and player Boeheim had hoped he could be.

- Rakeem Christmas had a double –double with 16 points and 11 rebounds, as he should against a team like Colgate. But it’s impressive he did it in 22 minutes.

- Mike Gbinije had a solid game with 11 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists. What I really liked is that he made a couple of three pointers, (we had ten of them tonight), and he looked good doing it.

- BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson played 38 minutes between them and scored 21 points. Both hit three-pointers, (they were 4 for 8 from the arc after being a combined 7 for 43 coming in). I’ll bet that we win any game where both Johnson and Patterson hit threes.

- Chinoso Obokoh got to play 7 minutes. he had 3 rebounds and even an assist. he looked strong, (he's not the scarecrow Keita was). I hope to see more of him because I think we're going to need him.

- The radio guys today bemoaned the fact that having lost the Villanova game, we won’t have a chance for a marquee win for a long time. I think we just need to get wins. We need to turn 6-4 into 16-4. We got one of those wins tonight.

- I know it was Colgate but I think this is a better Colgate team than the ones we are used to blowing out. The played hard, passed the ball well, hit their open shots and played pretty good defense in the second half. I thin k we played well, despite the opposition and that was what I wanted to see more than anything else.

7-4 with 23+ more

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

7-4 with 23+ more

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

We need at least 21 wins to make the big dance. It feels like we have 50/50 chance. This team is beginning to gel. I like the way KJ2 played at Villanova. Rak has been terrific!

Last edited:
Dave85 said:
We need at least 21 wins to make the big dance. It feels like we have 50/50 chance. This team is beginning to gel. I like the way KJ2 played at Villanova. Rak has been terrific!

Maybe we can get away with one or two less if our peers in the major conferences continue losing to crap mid or low majors and we avoid a bad loss.

And it was a joy to watch the game with a smile for 40 minutes rather than cursing the screen so bad a sailor would blush.

Remember that come tournament time, the committee gives a lot of weight to how you've been playing recently. We all knew this team would take some lumps early until the frosh and last year's frosh-like "bench-sophs" got some run time. Most teams get better as the season moves on, it's just that SU has to get better at a faster rate to get where JB would like them to be. So far so good, and it's just as well the Orange schedule is back-loaded. JB's got himself a real challenge this year; no wonder he gets snarky in his pressers.-VBOF

Lots of chances for marquee wins coming up. I don;t think we should worry about not having one yet (no Iowa was not one)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom