The Upside - Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian

- With our 17th win, we have clinched our 46th consecutive winning season, something that was in doubt when we were 10-7 and had opened the conference season with 4 straight losses. It’s the longest active streak in the country and something that unites generations of SU players, coaches and fans. Hopefully we will not be flirting with disaster again in the near future. We are currently tied with Louisville, (1945-90), for the second best streak of all time. I think we will go back to having the sort of teams we had early in this decade next year and have a very good chance to matching or exceeding UCLA’s national record of 54 consecutive winning seasons, (1949-2002).

- Now we can concentrate on what we have to do to make the NCAA tournament and, more specifically, to get off the bubble so we don’t have to sweat out Selection Sunday. Once we’d done that, the next goal is to get a good seed. The committee members have said that they will look only at the games that JB coached. If so, our record is actually 13-3 with competitive losses to Wisconsin, North Carolina and Virginia, (last year’s national runner up and two top ten teams), and wins over Connecticut, Texas A&M, Duke, (at Cameron), Notre Dame and now Florida State. If we can just keep playing well, I think we’ll be fine.

- Frankly reading about Florida State, I thought they might have the better team with their height and all their hot shooters. They gave us a lot of trouble on the offensive boards the first half but we got that turned around, especially when they had to go to a small line-up to press us when they fell way behind in the second half. WE wound up winning the boards 35-28.

- The dangerous triumvirate of Beasley, Bacon and Rathan-Hayes scored 35 points but they were only 11 for 37 from the field.
- One reason we didn’t have as many offensive rebounds as they did is that we weren’t missing. We were the only power 5 conference team to not shoot 50% in a game this year but in this game we shot 62%. We hit 47% form the three point line and 70% inside of it. We even hit 71% of our foul shots. That lay-off didn’t seem to hurt us. In fact, it’s probably something we needed, (perhaps not 8 days).

- Michael Gbinije was brilliant, hitting 7 of 8 shots, including 4 of 5 threes for 22 points. He also had 8 rebounds and 3 assists. Is there a better player in the conference?

- Malachi Richardson is nearly as good as a freshman, which is scary. He scored 17 on 5 for 7 inside the arc, with 6 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals.

- Tyler Lydon had possibly his best game with 15 points on 5 for 7 shooting, 10 rebounds, an assist, a block and a steal in only 21 minutes. Unless his best game is yet to come.

- DaJuan Coleman showed us a glimpse of what could be awaiting next year when the started the second half with a dunk, a rebound, a lay-up, a steal, another lay-up on a drive from out front, an assist and a block in the first 2 ½ minutes to give us an 8-0 run that gave us control of the game after FSU had closed from 31-17 to 42-39 at the end of the first half. Don’t pencil in Chukwu as the starter next year just yet.

- I like 85-72 games. They remind me of the old days.

17-8 (7-5) with 6+ to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

If DaJuan returns, Chewy will not start. Wonder if Chewy might play a bit at PF if we wanted to go NBA size on the back line.

If DaJuan returns, Chewy will not start. Wonder if Chewy might play a bit at PF if we wanted to go NBA size on the back line.

I see DaJuan and Paschal splitting time, depending on which of their skills is needed in a particular game or situation. I can't see Chukwu as a 7-2 power forward with no offensive skills. I have a sneaking suspicion that DaJuan could have a Rakeem-like senior season and that people will see it started late this year.

- Now we can concentrate on what we have to do to make the NCAA tournament and, more specifically, to get off the bubble so we don’t have to sweat out Selection Sunday. Once we’d done that, the next goal is to get a good seed. The committee members have said that they will look only at the games that JB coached. If so, our record is actually 13-3 with competitive losses to Wisconsin, North Carolina and Virginia, (last year’s national runner up and two top ten teams), and wins over Connecticut, Texas A&M, Duke, (at Cameron), Notre Dame and now Florida State. If we can just keep playing well, I think we’ll be fine.

- DaJuan Coleman showed us a glimpse of what could be awaiting next year when the started the second half with a dunk, a rebound, a lay-up, a steal, another lay-up on a drive from out front, an assist and a block in the first 2 ½ minutes to give us an 8-0 run that gave us control of the game after FSU had closed from 31-17 to 42-39 at the end of the first half. Don’t pencil in Chukwu as the starter next year just yet.

- I like 85-72 games. They remind me of the old days.

17-8 (7-5) with 6+ to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Winning season in the books!! Now you can rest easier. I admit that I was one that misjudged this team early in the season, but 10 ACC wins is beginning to look more and more realistic.

I like your comparison of DC's development to Rak's! I would love to see him make a jump to finish this season and roll into next season. That would be absolutely fantastic for a local kid who has persevered through a lot of adversity!!

I think you are overstating what the committee has said about how they will view the losses while JB was suspended.

I see DaJuan and Paschal splitting time, depending on which of their skills is needed in a particular game or situation. I can't see Chukwu as a 7-2 power forward with no offensive skills. I have a sneaking suspicion that DaJuan could have a Rakeem-like senior season and that people will see it started late this year.

Ah, even assuming his skills allow for that, the coaching and personnel won't. With Battle, Richardson, and Lydon in the lineup, we can write in stone that DaJuan will take fewer than 6 shots per game next year.

Ah, even assuming his skills allow for that, the coaching and personnel won't. With Battle, Richardson, and Lydon in the lineup, we can write in stone that DaJuan will take fewer than 6 shots per game next year.

I can barely write with a pencil.

Winning season in the books!! Now you can rest easier. I admit that I was one that misjudged this team early in the season, but 10 ACC wins is beginning to look more and more realistic.

I like your comparison of DC's development to Rak's! I would love to see him make a jump to finish this season and roll into next season. That would be absolutely fantastic for a local kid who has persevered through a lot of adversity!!

I think you are overstating what the committee has said about how they will view the losses while JB was suspended.

Just win, baby!

The foundation of a blowout was in Hamilton's decision to put Boris Badanov as the guy in the crease of the 3-2. Teams that have given us trouble put a triple threat guy there, not a guy who teats the ball like a hot potato.

Laphonzo Ellis kept saying that FSU needed to get him the ball there..... and I kept thinking...... Why? What is he going to do with it when he gets it in that position?

The foundation of a blowout was in Hamilton's decision to put Boris Badanov as the guy in the crease of the 3-2. Teams that have given us trouble put a triple threat guy there, not a guy who teats the ball like a hot potato.
Or "Mr. Big"

There should be talk of mike gbinije as acc player of the year. Thank you for mentioning it.
He's been awesome, but you clearly don't know how this league works. If you are not one of the "Big 4" in North Carolina, you better be Superman to win that award. It's part of the reason, albeit a small part, why Maryland had no hesitation in bolting for a better financial deal. Clemson, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and FSU have all had deserving players left off All-ACC teams. So for a SU guy to get votes, let alone win, don't hold your breath! No matter how UNC ends the season, Johnson from UNC will probably get it. To my eye, Brogdon from Va. should contend, but Tobacco row will make this election look like the New Hampshire primary looked for Bernie (slight Boeheim resemblance) Sanders

He's been awesome, but you clearly don't know how this league works. If you are not one of the "Big 4" in North Carolina, you better be Superman to win that award. It's part of the reason, albeit a small part, why Maryland had no hesitation in bolting for a better financial deal. Clemson, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and FSU have all had deserving players left off All-ACC teams. So for a SU guy to get votes, let alone win, don't hold your breath! No matter how UNC ends the season, Johnson from UNC will probably get it. To my eye, Brogdon from Va. should contend, but Tobacco row will make this election look like the New Hampshire primary looked for Bernie (slight Boeheim resemblance) Sanders

I realize that. I wasn't predicting he's be named player of the year. I just wanted to know if there is a better player in the conference. There might even be others as good, (Brogdon is very good). But is there anyone who is clearly better?

I realize that. I wasn't predicting he's be named player of the year. I just wanted to know if there is a better player in the conference. There might even be others as good, (Brogdon is very good). But is there anyone who is clearly better?
I'll opine that one of the things that hurts G is he just is not a good FT shooter for a player of his caliber. I know he has improved a bit this year, but I have a recurring nightmare that he will miss a big one-and-one in a tight tournament game.

I'll opine that one of the things that hurts G is he just is not a good FT shooter for a player of his caliber. I know he has improved a bit this year, but I have a recurring nightmare that he will miss a big one-and-one in a tight tournament game.

He actually isn't that bad. He is 67% for the season and 78% since the UNC game. He would be 75% for the season if you exclude Pitt, Miami, UConn and Texas A&M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom