The Upside- Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I don’t think this is the beginning of an ill-timed slump for the Orange. I think this is just another Louisville-Syracuse game. We lost for the reasons we seem to so often lose to Louisville: they know how to attack our zone. They play extremely tight defense and they press us, which we are not used to, this augmented by the fact that we don’t have a true point guard in our starting line-up and have to “go small” to bring one in. I don’t think this will have anything to do with what we see Saturday night or the rest of the season. And with Louisville on self-imposed probation, we won’t see them again.

- Some players had good games, although there always se3emd to be downsides to the upsides. Trevor Cooney found the range in the second half and scored 19 points, including 5 three pointers. (Too bad he hit most of them after Louisville had taken control of the game.)

- Mike Gbinije, despite his missed dunks and free throws, had solid numbers: 13 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists. He should have been better but he wasn’t bad.

- Franklin Howard had 6 assists in 23 minutes and only a single turnover against the press. The problem: he only attempted one shot himself and missed it.

- DaJuan Coleman actually played pretty well when he was int here: 4 points,4 rebounds and a steal in 18 minutes. He was 2 for 2 from the field. The problem was, you can’t make more than two baskets unless you shoot more than 2 shots. Also, there were a couple of rebounds he should have had but his hands seemed to be the wrong end of the magnet.

- The refs were kind to us. Louisville attempted 44 two point shots and scored 50 points in the paint and got fouled only 9 times, (ratios of 4.9 and 5.6 to 1). Those 9 fouls netted them 2 free throw attempts, (a ratio of 0.2 to 1). We attempted 26 two point shots and scored 20 points in the paint while getting fouled 17 times, (ratios of 1.5 and 1.2 to 1). We went to the line 21 times from those 17 fouls. (a ratio of 1.2). It’s absolutely incredible that we found a way to lose- and not even get close with such favorable officiating. But there’s a story behind the story: They were fouling us to prevent use getting to the basket and we just weren’t doing very much at all to prevent them from getting to the basket: we got called for nothing because we were innocent of doing anything, which is not a virtue in basketball.

- I’m enjoying watching “Orange Overtime” after these games with Roosevelt Bouie and Mike Neer. Who is Mike Neer? He’s the coach who got the Rochester job Jim Boeheim was interviewing for when he got word that he’s been selected to replace Roy Danforth at Syracuse. He coached there for 34 years, (and then 3 more at Hobart) and won 629 games and national championship. Narrating a series of highlights and seeing a scramble for the ball i=on the floor, Mike called it the “Scrum on the Crum in the Yum”. (It’s the Denny Crum floor in the Yum Center). He must have been a fun guy to play for. Smart, to: He wants to see Syracuse put someone in the high post as other teams are doing to Syracuse. “A guy with the ball in the high post has 360 degrees of options.” Are you listening JB?

- Accurater and I have now watched, by my count, 10 SU football and basketball games together and we’ve lost 9 of them. But the company is good and the food is ‘evil’.

18-9 (8-6) with 4+ to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

"we got called for nothing because we were innocent of doing anything, which is not a virtue in basketball."

Tres droll! I thought us being fouled by them was going to work in our favor, but it most certainly did not. <HUGE SIGH> Okay, on to Pitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom