The Upside- Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We’ve played four games in the meadowland sin this series, all against national powers and the scores have been 29-42, 17-23, 15-31 and 33-50. These have shown us the difference between Syracuse and a national power but they’ve also showed the difference is not that large: we can compete with these teams. Put that with the 24-34 and 27-37 losses at home to LSU and Clemson last year and the 20-38 and 6-16 losses to Florida State and Clemson the year before and you realize that we are not a small college team. We have guys who can play, too. We just need a few more of them and =we can beat these teams. Matt Park mentioned that to Dino Babers after the game. Dino noted that Brian Kelly has been at Notre Dame for eight years and said he was looking forward to seeing what we will be in eight years. I hope it won’t take that long, Dino!

- Eric Dungey threw for two scores and ran for three more- against Notre Dame!. (Somewhere Walter Reyes is smiling.) On the season he is now 148/230 (64%) for 1,730 yards, 11TDs and 3 interceptions. He’s also run the ball for 116 yards and 5 scores. Over 12 games that would be 355/552 for 4,152 yards 26TDs, 7 interceptions and 278 rushing yards for 12 more scores. That’s 38 touchdowns accounted for. The real exciting thing is that I don’t even think he’s played well yet. This offense will really sing when he gets good at it. And we finally have a ‘system’, as I’ve bene calling for years- a scheme that can elevate less than 5 star talents. This guy’s re-writing the SU record book while he’s still learning.

- Amba Etta Tawo wasn’t targeted as often as he has been but he still had 7 catches for 134 yards and 1 score. Even that would be 84-1608-12 if he did that in every game. For the year he’s 47-840-6, which translates to 113-2016-14. And he’ll get better as Dungey gets better.

- We did a better job of getting other players into the act today. Phillips caught 6 balls, Ismael 5, Strickland 5, Estime 4, Butler 2 and Riley 2. Phillips has 42 catches for 357 yards and 3 TDs He’s on a 101-857-7 pace himself. We could have two guys with 100 catches!

- We also threw over the middle of the field more. You have to be able to exploit what they give you and make them cover the whole field.

- The Salt Badger roared today with 3 punt returns for 128 yards, one a 74 yarder to set up a score. He’s obviously better than Sean Riley, at least at this stage of their careers. He’s just as fast, is more elusive, is stronger and he has that attitude that a return is a chance to make a big play.

- Zaire Franklin has his best game with 9 tackles, a sack and an interception. Somebody was playing some defense.

- 5 of our remaining 7 opponents won’t be this good.

- I know we’ve been wandering in the woods of college football for 15 years and people are tired of requests for patience. But Dino Babers hasn’t been here for 15 years. His work here has just started. It’s going to get good. Real good. You’ll want to be there when it does.

2-3 with 7+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- We’ve played four games in the meadowland sin this series, all against national powers and the scores have been 29-42, 17-23, 15-31 and 33-50. These have shown us the difference between Syracuse and a national power but they’ve also showed the difference is not that large: we can compete with these teams. Put that with the 24-34 and 27-37 losses at home to LSU and Clemson last year and the 20-38 and 6-16 losses to Florida State and Clemson the year before and you realize that we are not a small college team. We have guys who can play, too. We just need a few more of them and =we can beat these teams. Matt Park mentioned that to Dino Babers after the game. Dino noted that Brian Kelly has been at Notre Dame for eight years and said he was looking forward to seeing what we will be in eight years. I hope it won’t take that long, Dino!

- Eric Dungey threw for two scores and ran for three more- against Notre Dame!. (Somewhere Walter Reyes is smiling.) On the season he is now 148/230 (64%) for 1,730 yards, 11TDs and 3 interceptions. He’s also run the ball for 116 yards and 5 scores. Over 12 games that would be 355/552 for 4,152 yards 26TDs, 7 interceptions and 278 rushing yards for 12 more scores. That’s 38 touchdowns accounted for. The real exciting thing is that I don’t even think he’s played well yet. This offense will really sing when he gets good at it. And we finally have a ‘system’, as I’ve bene calling for years- a scheme that can elevate less than 5 star talents. This guy’s re-writing the SU record book while he’s still learning.

- Amba Etta Tawo wasn’t targeted as often as he has been but he still had 7 catches for 134 yards and 1 score. Even that would be 84-1608-12 if he did that in every game. For the year he’s 47-840-6, which translates to 113-2016-14. And he’ll get better as Dungey gets better.

- We did a better job of getting other players into the act today. Phillips caught 6 balls, Ismael 5, Strickland 5, Estime 4, Butler 2 and Riley 2. Phillips has 42 catches for 357 yards and 3 TDs He’s on a 101-857-7 pace himself. We could have two guys with 100 catches!

- We also threw over the middle of the field more. You have to be able to exploit what they give you and make them cover the whole field.

- The Salt Badger roared today with 3 punt returns for 128 yards, one a 74 yarder to set up a score. He’s obviously better than Sean Riley, at least at this stage of their careers. He’s just as fast, is more elusive, is stronger and he has that attitude that a return is a chance to make a big play.

- Zaire Franklin has his best game with 9 tackles, a sack and an interception. Somebody was playing some defense.

- 5 of our remaining 7 opponents won’t be this good.

- I know we’ve been wandering in the woods of college football for 15 years and people are tired of requests for patience. But Dino Babers hasn’t been here for 15 years. His work here has just started. It’s going to get good. Real good. You’ll want to be there when it does.

2-3 with 7+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

SWC75 - didn't get to see the game had to work so I am not having the same negative reaction that I see others have on this Board right now.

I guess we are just right where I thought we would be 2-3. I was hoping for 3-2 but like you said 5 out of our remaining 7 are not as good as ND.

I wonder how everyone will feel if we are 3-3 after beating Wake. Still lots of football left to play...nice write ups!

SWC75 - didn't get to see the game had to work so I am not having the same negative reaction that I see others have on this Board right now.

I guess we are just right where I thought we would be 2-3. I was hoping for 3-2 but like you said 5 out of our remaining 7 are not as good as ND.

I wonder how everyone will feel if we are 3-3 after beating Wake. Still lots of football left to play...nice write ups!

Let's find out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom