The Upside- South Florida | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- South Florida

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We had a lot of stats that might help us win other games if we use them efficiently. 549 yards. 30 first downs. 105 plays. 37:48 possession time. Those numbers normally spell victory and they likely will if we can produce them again.

- Eric Dungey is on pace for 364 completions in 556 attempts (64.3%) for 3,840 yards and 28 touchdowns vs. 12 interceptions. And the training wheels are still on.

- Amba Etta-Tawo is on pace for 112 catches for 1,744 yards (15.6) and 12TDs. I wonder what Mel Kiper Jr. thinks of him?

- Erv Phillips is on pace for 120 catches for 936 yards (7.8) and 8 scores and wished he’d been thrown to one more time – when he was wide open and waving to Dungey in the 4th quarter. Erv had a great catch for SU’s first score, grabbing one Dungey threw through the arms of a defender as he (Erv), was falling down.

- Those guys and their colleagues will put up even bigger numbers as Dungey gets better.

- Dontae Strickland ran hard the whole game and totaled 127 yards on 30 carries. I hope they design a greater variety of running plays for him and the other runners. They'll get even more yards when we really open things up.

- Sterling Hofrichter continues to impress me as a punter. He can boom it or can use that rugby kick Riley Dixon used to use. He didn’t out-kick his coverage on that long TD return. The guys didn’t stay in their lanes and let the guy run past them. They should have been able to make the tackle as soon as he caught it.

- Cole Murphy has become a strong and reliable place-kicker.

- Willie Taggart started 7-21. He's 10-2 since. Hopefully it won't take that long for us to get going. But in South Florida we see a team that's been through the ringer and a roster of players that coach has recruited for his system and now comes the big payoff. Ours is coming, too. I know it seems as if we've been rebuilding forever but things did decline under Shafer and we are using new offensive and defensive systems so it is going to take a while for our time to come. But it will come.

- We just lost to two pretty good teams. There will be some teams we can beat coming up. We are a welterweight trying to become a junior middleweight and we lost to a heavyweight, (maybe a super-heavyweight) and a light heavyweight. This is going to take time. I’ll panic when Coach Babers does. He seems pretty calm so far.

1-2 with 9+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
- Sterling Hofrichter continues to impress me as a punter. He can boom it or can use that rugby kick Riley Dixon used to use. He didn’t out-kick his coverage on that long TD return. The guys didn’t stay in their lanes and let the guy run past them. They should have been able to make the tackle as soon as he caught it.

Well, yeah. But then he should've been able to make the tackle -- or even an attempt at a tackle -- after the returner got by everyone else. I'd never seen a punter actively run away from a play before. That was frustrating to watch. Punter or not, the kid didn't do his job on that play.

Well, yeah. But then he should've been able to make the tackle -- or even an attempt at a tackle -- after the returner got by everyone else. I'd never seen a punter actively run away from a play before. That was frustrating to watch. Punter or not, the kid didn't do his job on that play.

Kickers are impossible situations when the returner gets to them. The bets they can do is try to get the returner to turn toward the pursuit. He didn't do a very good job of that but punters don't get evaluated based on that skill. By the time the guy gets to them, too many other guys have made mistakes to worry abuut the punter, (or kick-off guy).

he was never within 10 yds of that kid who was running full tilt and he was getting blocked flat footed.

Amba Etta-Tawo has Sunday written all over him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom