Things that make you go hmm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things that make you go hmm

I really wish JB would try Howard at point and G at the 2 a bit each game. Does cooney really need 38 mpg?
Really not looking forward to another season where TC gets all the minutes for no apparent reason aside from being an upperclassmen.

Does he kill it in practice or something? What am I missing? He just seems like an extremely mediocre player who shouldn't be starting for a Syracuse level program.

I guess the only other options are a freshman when we're already playing 2 and a guy who might not even be on the team next year if he doesn't step it up consistently.

Well in three games Cooney is averaging 4 boards, 3 assists, and 3 steals. He's our third leading rebounder at guard. I know that's not shooting though. Interesting to see if Malachi will get killed if he has more 1-7's like last night.

As JB said after the game, "We could have played 8 guys and lost." Said we have five guys that contribute and then added Franklin was doing fine also.

Interesting how people look at Cooney differently. On the broadcast last night Rosie Bouie said he'd rather have Cooney on a bad night for him before a good night with other players. I tend to agree.
Honestly I'm not sure what that means from Rosie. G was shooting it well...I'm just thinking get FH some burn at the 1 with G at the 2. I really like FH handling the ball better than anyone on the team. By a wide margin.

My first thought was "no they'll play some other good teams OOC that could beat the cats", but after looking at their schedule it's not that great before SEC play. Boston U., USF, Illinois St., @UCLA, Eastern KY, Arizona St., tOSU, Louisville. There are some P5 teams in there, just not currently ranked. They only play 2 ranked conference teams in LSU and Vandy. If UK is still undefeated as of 1/30/16 they do play at Kansas in a rare OOC game during the conference season.
Yes, they go out to LA, so that may be challenging, but I don't know how UCLA has been so far. Ohio State and Lville are usually decent, sometimes more than decent! But enough to knock Kentucky off their perpetual pedestal? I guess we must wait and see.

I know it's so easy for SU fans to hate UNC and Duke. It seems as natural as breathing. But we are now in the ACC and I have to root for any ACC team to do well. It just seems reasonable, especially against Kentucky!

UCLA lost to Monmouth. They aren't beating UK. Good offensive team, but they don't play much defense.

Screwed!

Lol. I think we are going to be waiting a while again this year for them to lose. I have no idea on Louisville this year. They play all cupcakes in the non-conference beside that game.

Interesting how people look at Cooney differently. On the broadcast last night Rosie Bouie said he'd rather have Cooney on a bad night for him before a good night with other players. I tend to agree.

When he said that, I said, "that may be the craziest statement I've heard a broadcaster make in my life."

Who are these other players? If we're talking the shooting guards on the cupcake squads, maybe. Fact is, and this is NOT Cooney's fault AT ALL, we have inexplicably had a starting shooting guard for three years that would at the very best maybe possibly start for a year at most schools that our fanbase would group us in with as far as peer schools in basketball.

When G went our for a long stretch in the first half against cupcake U in the first half, who stepped up and delivered the points? Our 5th year starting shooting guard? Not so much. Again, not his fault, this isn't meant to decry his lack of offensive prowess, but that is what we're dealing with. Some people think he's Grayson Allen but defenses focus on him so much he can't deliver to the extent he's capable. He ain't that.

Honestly I'm not sure what that means from Rosie. G was shooting it well...I'm just thinking get FH some burn at the 1 with G at the 2. I really like FH handling the ball better than anyone on the team. By a wide margin.

imo.
G is going to be our isolation guy and pullup guy by default. I like the idea of scoring point guard from him it opens things up for everybody else. If anyone else is more suited for it let them earn it as a scoring sg or sf first. Problem with G playing off the ball is he could lean towards only looking for spotting up and not driving the lane. Hes going to learn when driving is a positive and when passing off is, but I like him playing more off 5-6 bounces then 2-3 as a point. Teams will see him as a pg no matter where is on the floor anyway.

I don't think we are going to see many changes with this team it would take a losing slump to force us to try new things, and its to early in the season for one of those with arguably the roughest conference schedule in the country, and this team knows that.

When he said that, I said, "that may be the craziest statement I've heard a broadcaster make in my life."

Who are these other players? If we're talking the shooting guards on the cupcake squads, maybe. Fact is, and this is NOT Cooney's fault AT ALL, we have inexplicably had a starting shooting guard for three years that would at the very best maybe possibly start for a year at most schools that our fanbase would group us in with as far as peer schools in basketball.

When G went our for a long stretch in the first half against cupcake U in the first half, who stepped up and delivered the points? Our 5th year starting shooting guard? Not so much. Again, not his fault, this isn't meant to decry his lack of offensive prowess, but that is what we're dealing with. Some people think he's Grayson Allen but defenses focus on him so much he can't deliver to the extent he's capable. He ain't that.
JB said they were going to have to get TC more open looks. That he only had one open look against Elon.

JB said they were going to have to get TC more open looks. That he only had one open look against Elon.

Yawn. That's exactly what we need to do. How did we get to this point? No early defections were shooting guards...

Seriously. Only one guy on this team is allowed to play through every mistake, through every misstep for 3 years. It's tiring. Defenses focus solely on him! He runs himself ragged! He plays big minutes! We have no inside presence! We have no second shooter! He doesn't get open looks! He.....is what he is. An energy/effort guy that gets minutes like he's a McD AA.

I think I would have been more comfortable with the small margin being due to poor shooting, and our pulling it out in the more traditional matter against an inferior opponent - by forcing turnovers and getting on the boards.

You can't lose the turnover AND offensive board battle to a team like Elon. I know our zone will sometimes hang us dry on the boards -- but turnovers as well.

It's a little concerning -- but yet it is early so I remain cautiously optomistic.

Lol. I think we are going to be waiting a while again this year for them to lose. I have no idea on Louisville this year. They play all cupcakes in the non-conference beside that game.

It is a weak schedule for Louisville but they do play at Michigan St as well, which is quite the test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom