This can't be right | Syracusefan.com

This can't be right

I always thought you had to be taking a min of 12 credits.

More than you'd guess. It's smart planning on his part to save just two easy electives for his final season. If I remember right, as long as that's all he needs to graduate, it's legit.

I don't believe that's the case. You need to make substantive academic progress towards your degree during the course of the year. Isn't that why many schools [including SU] have athletes load up on summer courses? That enables athletes to go lighter during the fall / spring semesters.

I think it is more academic year timeframe based, not just semester based. I.E., if I complete 30 credits in an academic year [and I think you are right that the numbers is really 24 credits], then it doesn't matter how I break that out across semesters.

Yes, I know that some colleges use trimesters instead of semesters, but it amounts to a similar calculation.

I don't think so. I thought for Fall athletes, you could complete 12 credits by the winter break. Didn't Matt Leinart only take ballroom dancing his senior year fall semester?

More than you'd guess. It's smart planning on his part to save just two easy electives for his final season. If I remember right, as long as that's all he needs to graduate, it's legit.
I believe you are absolutely right. Seems to me SU has had guys do it - especially if they red shirt their first year and take a heavy load then, leaving only a couple of credits to make up as a 5th year senior.

Got this off the NCAA site.

Remaining Eligible: Academics
Because intercollegiate athletics is part of the fabric of the university, student-athletes must be committed to academic achievement and the pursuit of a degree.

Student-athletes must meet academic standards throughout their careers on campus to remain eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Member institutions in each division create academic standards specific to that division’s goals.

In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-academics

Pretty sure there are exceptions for final semester. In this case, if Mariota doesn't graduate at the end of the semester, he'd be ineligible for post-season. (Guessing that he's a safe bet to get through these two courses though)

You guys are all talking progress etc. I'm talking credit hours enrolled in to play. I'm 99.9% sure the minimum is 12 hours to play, but it makes sense that wouldn't be required your last semester before graduating. If you need 6, you should be able to take 6. When athletes get ahead during the summer, it's so they can take the 12 instead of 16-18.

You guys are all talking progress etc. I'm talking credit hours enrolled in to play. I'm 99.9% sure the minimum is 12 hours to play, but it makes sense that wouldn't be required your last semester before graduating. If you need 6, you should be able to take 6. When athletes get ahead during the summer, it's so they can take the 12 instead of 16-18.

Does this not explain it?

All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

bevosu said:
Does this not explain it? All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

No. That's earned, not enrolled in. I think you have to be a full time student which is 12+ hours enrolled in per semester.

No. That's earned, not enrolled in. I think you have to be a full time student which is 12+ hours enrolled in per semester.

I assume this is similar to financial aid stuff. Where one needs to be a half time student (aka 1/2 of the schools required load, in most cases a full-time student is 12 credits, and thus half-time load would be 6 credits)

Obviously if there is an issue with what Mariota is doing it would be put out there somewhere. Since there is an SI story on it, the NCAA can't exactly pretend it doesn't know.

Think of it this way: you have an academic year to earn a certain number of credits. It doesn't matter how many you take any given semester / trimester, provided you hit the number.

For football, it makes sense [and I'm not suggesting all football players would structure it this way] to take a heavier load in the summer and spring, but a lighter one in the fall during season.

Libero2 said:
I assume this is similar to financial aid stuff. Where one needs to be a half time student (aka 1/2 of the schools required load, in most cases a full-time student is 12 credits, and thus half-time load would be 6 credits) Obviously if there is an issue with what Mariota is doing it would be put out there somewhere. Since there is an SI story on it, the NCAA can't exactly pretend it doesn't know.

I think he is fine if what he is taking in his last semester gets him to graduation. Like rebar said there's probably an exemption that last semester.

RF2044 said:
Think of it this way: you have an academic year to earn a certain number of credits. It doesn't matter how many you take any given semester / trimester, provided you hit the number. For football, it makes sense [and I'm not suggesting all football players would structure it this way] to take a heavier load in the summer and spring, but a lighter one in the fall during season.

http://cuse.com/sports/2013/8/22/Comp_0822133706.aspx?id=8671

retro44 said:
so what would happen to Oregon/nike if the kid didn't graduate?

No idea. But I knew I had seen the 12 hour thing someplace.

I'm sure between the AD compliance office, his advisor, the student, and the HC they would all something as important as keeping the star QB eligible for something as simple as taking enough credit hours.

If he is signed up for 6 hours, it's because he is allowed to.

Last edited:
When I was rowing you needed to considered a "Full time" student to compete, which meant 12 credits. As someone alluded to earlier, since Mariota needs only 6 more credits to graduate, they don't require him to take more than that.

If he needs 6 credits to graduate, that's all he needs to do. This is an exception, not the standard.

Additionally, one of the main reasons student-athletes need to take 12 is because at 99% of schools, that qualifies you to be a full-time student. If you fall below that, you're ineligible for PELL, TAP, financial aid, and certain other things like athletic scholarships.

Graduate students are only required to take 9 credits per semester - that is considered full time at most schools.

CuseCrew08 said:
When I was rowing you needed to considered a "Full time" student to compete, which meant 12 credits. As someone alluded to earlier, since Mariota needs only 6 more credits to graduate, they don't require him to take more than that.

Yep. That's where we got to.