This guy looks happy. | Syracusefan.com

This guy looks happy.

Just accept the fact that former HCDM has a personality that isn't well-suited to being the focal point of a program. He's an SU alum who did us a great service, but was incapable of being our long-term solution. No bitterness, just well-wishes.

Just accept the fact that former HCDM has a personality that isn't well-suited to being the focal point of a program. He's an SU alum who did us a great service, but was incapable of being our long-term solution. No bitterness, just well-wishes.

Don't agree at all.

He made a business decision.

I disagreed with the decision - a lot.

But had he stayed he would have continued to move the Program ahead.

When I watched the interview video I was thinking that I could not remember 9 minutes in a row of Doug being as engaging and open as he was in this one. He seems really happy. He probably was just not cut out to be a head coach - not becasue of coaching skills, but he just didn't have the personality or people skills. Dealing with demanding fans, booster and the stupid media is not a fun job.

I wonder if Shafer is having any fun. I sure hope so because he certainly has a big challenge under great pressure.

When I watched the interview video I was thinking that I could not remember 9 minutes in a row of Doug being as engaging and open as he was in this one. He seems really happy. He probably was just not cut out to be a head coach - not becasue of coaching skills, but he just didn't have the personality or people skills. Dealing with demanding fans, booster and the stupid media is not a fun job.

I wonder if Shafer is having any fun. I sure hope so because he certainly has a big challenge under great pressure.

Short memory

i see a picture of him working

?

there is a video of him smiling.

it's so weird that sometimes he smiles and other times he's not smiling

Don't agree at all.

He made a business decision.

I disagreed with the decision - a lot.

But had he stayed he would have continued to move the Program ahead.

Based on what? Doug couldn't get the top recruits. You think RW would be coming here under Marrone? I HIGHLY doubt it. Marrone didn't recruit Nassib, Grob did. Most of the guys that helped DM rebuild this program were Grob recruits. That being said, at least he knew how to coach the guys he had, something Grob clearly couldn't. Marrone pulled this program out of the absolute dregs. We were schooled by Akron in our own house. By the time Marrone left we were back in minor bowl games and at least able to beat Rutgers 1/2 the time instead of getting our doors blown off. Appreciate him for what he did but this town, this game(college), and being the major face of a college program was not for him. He's a helluva coach but not so great recruiter. I believe 4 years here was the absolute optimal amount of time.

My condolences to the Jaguars Offensive Line.

Yep, because he's utterly failed to do his job his last two stops.

Took perennial high level winners with tons of talent, functional cultures, and a recent history of winning, and tanked them both.

Based on what? Doug couldn't get the top recruits. You think RW would be coming here under Marrone? I HIGHLY doubt it. Marrone didn't recruit Nassib, Grob did. Most of the guys that helped DM rebuild this program were Grob recruits. That being said, at least he knew how to coach the guys he had, something Grob clearly couldn't. Marrone pulled this program out of the absolute dregs. We were schooled by Akron in our own house. By the time Marrone left we were back in minor bowl games and at least able to beat Rutgers 1/2 the time instead of getting our doors blown off. Appreciate him for what he did but this town, this game(college), and being the major face of a college program was not for him. He's a helluva coach but not so great recruiter. I believe 4 years here was the absolute optimal amount of time.

Wow. Come on he took over the very worst P5 program in the country. Did you expect him to be pulling 4star recruits after coming off 3 wins in 2 seasons? He may not have got the big recruit, but he was building towards it. All things considered he and his staff were just as good on the recruiting trail as this one. And what he may have lacked in recruiting he more then made up in with game planning, which was totally fine with me.

Grob was still pulling in guys like Sales, Smith, Nassib, Pugh, Jones, etc. They weren't 4-stars but could play. The amount of guys drafted last year tells me all I need to know about Doug's recruiting.

Geez I didn't mean to start another Marrone love/hate thread. I only thought he looked relaxed and happy and I am happy for him. Life is too damn short to wish anyone ill will (other than Georgetown, UCONN, PSU and Rutgers of course).

Yep, because he's utterly failed to do his job his last two stops.

Took perennial high level winners with tons of talent, functional cultures, and a recent history of winning, and tanked them both.
Marrone took a decent OLine in Buffalo and by the time he quit turned it into perhaps the worst in the NFL. Genius!

Marrone took a decent OLine in Buffalo and by the time he quit turned it into perhaps the worst in the NFL. Genius!

Yeah, they were so decent they drafted three OL in 2014. Sure sign that they were rock solid.

How many years between last year and the last winning season?

I think you probably place too much stock in personality when assessing the recruiting process. Doug was considered a top recruiter while at Ga Tech and UGA.

And, I think you have to remember that with the ACC, the ACC money and with the indoor facility and other upgrades, the ability to recruit kids to SU is now much easier than it was when Doug took over. We have a better product to sell.

Recall that Doug was saddled with a very tough stretch in SU Football history. And he was saddled with a very poor football infrastructure.

I recall posting about a dinner I attended following the first Pinstripe Bowl win. Doug talked about our facilities - how we were dead last in the Big East - how we did not even have sufficient training/rehab/medical equipment - how if we, the donors, could just get him to the middle of the pack in the BE, he would win a lot of football games.

He was right. While he was here we had serious disadvantages. And despite those disadvantages he won a lot of games - some really good games.

I like Scott Shafer a lot, believe me. And I expect him to succeed.

But if I were given a dose of truth serum, I would have to admit that I don't think he has the gravitas that Doug Marrone has. And I would prefer having him as our HC.

But time marches on and you can't turn the clock back I guess.

I think you probably place too much stock in personality when assessing the recruiting process. Doug was considered a top recruiter while at Ga Tech and UGA.

And, I think you have to remember that with the ACC, the ACC money and with the indoor facility and other upgrades, the ability to recruit kids to SU is now much easier than it was when Doug took over. We have a better product to sell.

Recall that Doug was saddled with a very tough stretch in SU Football history. And he was saddled with a very poor football infrastructure.

I recall posting about a dinner I attended following the first Pinstripe Bowl win. Doug talked about our facilities - how we were dead last in the Big East - how we did not even have sufficient training/rehab/medical equipment - how if we, the donors, could just get him to the middle of the pack in the BE, he would win a lot of football games.

He was right. While he was here we had serious disadvantages. And despite those disadvantages he won a lot of games - some really good games.

I like Scott Shafer a lot, believe me. And I expect him to succeed.

But if I were given a dose of truth serum, I would have to admit that I don't think he has the gravitas that Doug Marrone has. And I would prefer having him as our HC.

But time marches on and you can't turn the clock back I guess.

Good points. However, I keep thinking we won more games during Doug's tenure with good defense than we did with good offense. Shafer had a lot to do with any success DM had.

Good points. However, I keep thinking we won more games during Doug's tenure with good defense than we did with good offense. Shafer had a lot to do with any success DM had.

Shafer is a proven defensive coordinator. Hasn't yet proven himself as head coach, but I am for giving him this year (and assuming this year is not a complete disaster) next year as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah, they were so decent they drafted three OL in 2014. Sure sign that they were rock solid.

How many years between last year and the last winning season?
Offensive Line Efficiency according to FootballOutsiders.com (Run Blocking Adjusted Line Yards / Pass Blocking Adjusted Sack Rate)

Gailey Era

2010 - 20th / 17th
2011 - 12th / 1st
2012 - 7th / 10th

Marrone Er(ror)a

2013 - 16th / 29th
2014 - 26th / 20th

What a guru!