This is going to be a loooooong year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is going to be a loooooong year

Give Cooney credit for the steal and score but our half court offense is honestly worse than George McDonald's football offense.

Christ, you guys. I am not on any ledge. After Sunday I said on the Waters chat, we aren't good. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

I'm fine with your criticism of the team and how they're playing right now. I agree that the offense is garbage. The comment that we won't be good is BS though.

The rapid regression of Cooneys game is a large problem for us. Silent G is the far superior player to him. He needs to play 35 mins a game minimum. How anyone can watch the last 25 games from Trevor and not see he does nothing blows my mind. His d is average and his O is nowhere to be found.

I still think this team will be fine, but Jim has to stop being so loyal to a guy who just plain lost it.

Having a set that created a shot for a shooter would help. I'm not really arguing the virtues of cooney vs. others but cal has been in his shorts and the only good look he had, he knocked down. we don't really create looks for shooters particularly well.

I'm fine with your criticism of the team and how they're playing right now. I agree that the offense is garbage. The comment that we won't be good is BS though.

Young doesn't equal improvement though. I mean, these guys will get better, yes. Will they get appreciably better before the end of the year? I'm not so sure, but even if they do, getting to a point where you're a contender in the ACC seems a long, long way off. Still not sure who scores on this team. Maybe McCollough? Don't know.

This is a huge problem. There's no improvement here from last season. And I did not like the woofing after the one made three.

To be fair, I think he was happy to get a look.

Having a set that created a shot for a shooter would help. I'm not really arguing the virtues of cooney vs. others but cal has been in his shorts and the only good look he had, he knocked down. we don't really create looks for shooters particularly well.
If Cooney could put the ball on the floor and work on a floater or something teams couldn't get in his face. He is nothing more than a catch and shoot guy and that is on him and the coaching staff.

You can complain about a lot of things, but you aren't going to win any games when the point guard hands the ball to the other team.

If Cooney could put the ball on the floor and work on a floater or something teams couldn't get in his face. He is nothing more than a catch and shoot guy and that is on him and the coaching staff.

A couple of things here. First of all -- criticizing cooney is fine and warranted as I agree he hasn't developed much in his game beyond the deep ball. But honestly, what are you asking? Cooney's not going to be ray allen or rip hamilton. He's a shooter. If that means he should play 20 instead of 30 minutes, I'm cool with it. But not getting a look for a shooter isn't a shooter's fault unless he's just wandering around aimlessly.

I know its early and we are young but we have a long way to go to be even a good basketball team right now.

A couple of things here. First of all -- criticizing cooney is fine and warranted as I agree he hasn't developed much in his game beyond the deep ball. But honestly, what are you asking? Cooney's not going to be ray allen or rip hamilton. He's a shooter. If that means he should play 20 instead of 30 minutes, I'm cool with it. But not getting a look for a shooter isn't a shooter's fault unless he's just wandering around aimlessly.
Fine then JB should put his ass on the bench and stop giving the kid 35+ minutes each game to be nothing more than a decoy or jus eating a defender. If he can't catch and shoot his offense in the half court is subpar. I think the defense he gets on this board gives the kid less wiggle room.

Why is Cooney getting all this? Nobody played well today, not Christmas, not McCullough, not Joseph, and not Roberson, Gbinje was solid but come on, cut Cooney some slack.

Fine then JB should put his ass on the bench and stop giving the kid 35+ minutes each game to be nothing more than a decoy or jus eating a defender. If he can't catch and shoot his offense in the half court is subpar. I think the defense he gets on this board gives the kid less wiggle room.

How about finding a way to get him a look?

your lips to God's ears. the year is next year.

Why is Cooney getting all this? Nobody played well today, not Christmas, not McCullough, not Joseph, and not Roberson, Gbinje was solid but come on, cut Cooney some slack.
Cooney is a 4th year Junior on a team full of inexperienced kids. Rak Christmas has shown improvement. Cooney if he can't catch and shoot has shown nothing in a half court offense. He has not improved off the bounce at all and has no floater. I would play the kid less and let him have more energy playing less minutes.
Joseph didn't play well either but he is a freshman playing his 3rd game and not a redshirt Junior.

Guys...we are rebuilding...accept it. I said this team looked like a borderline NCAA team weeks ago. It still is. Best case they will be a 6 seed in the NCAA, worst case they'll be a 6 seed in the NIT.

We lost too much: no outside shooting, a PG learning, foul prone front court, and no real go to guy.

Last edited:
I don't give up, and look and play for next year after 3 games.
Enough dude dasher is not unreasonable. This team looks horrible in the half court offensively. We may make the tournament but this team looks bad. We barely scraped 60 points against Hampton for crying out loud.

Enough dude dasher is not unreasonable. This team looks horrible in the half court offensively. We may make the tournament but this team looks bad. We barely scraped 60 points against Hampton for crying out loud.

But hes CuseHulk. He never gives up!

Time to seriously rethink cooney out there. Looked totally unprepared tonight.

Alsacs said:
Cooney is a 4th year Junior on a team full of inexperienced kids. Rak Christmas has shown improvement. Cooney if he can't catch and shoot has shown nothing in a half court offense. He has not improved off the bounce at all and has no floater. I would play the kid less and let him have more energy playing less minutes. Joseph didn't play well either but he is a freshman playing his 3rd game and not a redshirt Junior.

Nobody played well, it's just not right piling on one guy, that's all I'm saying. Jabari Bird played his third game as well yet he out scored all of our players.

Everybody scapegoating cooney...Joseph decisions at point lead to some of the worst flooring spacing in years...Roberson or bj johnson need to have a reliable midranged game... Christmas is not Olajuwon...and McCullough needs to hit the freaking weight room

What does everyone see in this guy? He's on the floor for 30 minutes and has a hard time scoring 10 points. He's not a scorer. He's a jack of all trades role player not a leading man.
He's a Kueth Duany type on the floor. Sorry but cooney is playing horribly. We need to see what he can give us off the bench.

Everybody scapegoating cooney...Joseph decisions at point lead to some of the worst flooring spacing in years...Roberson or bj johnson need to have a reliable midranged game... Christmas is not Olajuwon...and McCullough needs to hit the freaking weight room
So it's okay to criticize a freshman playing his 3rd career game for playing poorly but criticizing a 4th year Junior who is one of the experienced players on the team for playing poorly is scapegoating the kid?
The team as a whole stunk but I think the grading curve for a 4th yr Jr should be higher than for a 3 game Fr point guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom