This is how scared the ACC is of Maryland's lawsuit ... | Syracusefan.com

This is how scared the ACC is of Maryland's lawsuit ...

MD is in all sorts of financial trouble with their athletics. I believe the suite is more to buy them time and to make it play better to Alums, Fans and the political landscape.

My uneducated guess is that this is going to end very badly for Maryland big time athletics. They cannot afford the exit fee.

Does Maryland's suit hold any water in Court? Are they expecting to pay the full Exit fee?

A few lawyers on another board...figure it will be settled for somewhere around $30M.

MD recently tried to hire a new assistant to replace their top guy Spinelli who went to BC. Their main target was Kenny Johnson, who was an assistant at Indiana with strong connections to Team Takeover. Johnson is a MD alum and he went to LV instead. MD admitted they had a limited budget and could not afford to pay him what LV paid him. You can also make the argument that if you want to be a head coach would you rather be an asst under Pitino or Turgeon.

A few lawyers on another board...figure it will be settled for somewhere around $30M.
I would think the ACC will need to enforce the exit fee as rigorously as possible, in order to dissuade league members from leaving in the future. Whatever amount the parties eventually settle for lowers the bar for teams considering future departures.

I would think the ACC will need to enforce the exit fee as rigorously as possible, in order to dissuade league members from leaving in the future. Whatever amount the parties eventually settle for lowers the bar for teams considering future departures.

I agree with you but what can the ACC do if Maryland can't (or won't) pay the full freight? That's why I'm guessing it is going to settle.

I agree with you but what can the ACC do if Maryland can't (or won't) pay the full freight? That's why I'm guessing it is going to settle.
It would be interesting to see exactly how much money the ACC has withheld from Maryland since they announced their intention to leave the conference. My guess is at least $30 million.

MD recently tried to hire a new assistant to replace their top guy Spinelli who went to BC. Their main target was Kenny Johnson, who was an assistant at Indiana with strong connections to Team Takeover. Johnson is a MD alum and he went to LV instead. MD admitted they had a limited budget and could not afford to pay him what LV paid him. You can also make the argument that if you want to be a head coach would you rather be an asst under Pitino or Turgeon.
That development is going to kill IU's ability to recruit in DC and entrench UL there. I bet UK recruits the DC metro area better than UMd does over the next 4 or 5 years.

More on Kenny Johnson Leaving Indiana for Louisville

If Maryland can't pay the exit fee, I hope the ACC goes for an injunction to prevent them from playing in the Big 10 until they do. That would be a great blow to Delaney.

Lawyers like to settle out of court but the ACC has no interest in settling out of court. Their existence depends on upholding the fee and they can go for interest on delayed payments. i would not want to be a turtle.

If Maryland can't pay the exit fee, I hope the ACC goes for an injunction to prevent them from playing in the Big 10 until they do. That would be a great blow to Delaney.

You just sue the Big10 at that point to enforce the payment. They are the party that orchestrated the move.

Also what kind of BS move is this by MD? They SIGNED the agreement, along with everyone else, saying they will pay this exact fee if they were to leave. They leave and now say "well fu*k you".

Take a judgment and levy against property and income. In NY, judgments accrue interest at 9.00%. Not a bad rate of return.

You just sue the Big10 at that point to enforce the payment. They are the party that orchestrated the move.

Also what kind of BS move is this by MD? They SIGNED the agreement, along with everyone else, saying they will pay this exact fee if they were to leave. They leave and now say "well fu*k you".
Actually, I don't think they did sign the agreement. One other team didn't sign either (FSU?). That was one of their early arguments.

orange79 said:
Actually, I don't think they did sign the agreement. One other team didn't sign either (FSU?). That was one of their early arguments.

But they did sign the agreement in how many votes it would take to pass the increase. And it passed.

But they did sign the agreement in how many votes it would take to pass the increase. And it passed.
Yup. Sign the bylaws? Abide by the bylaws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom