This is sweet redemption for Roberson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is sweet redemption for Roberson

so much for rewarding performance. don't step on a crack.

Roberson can't play with Coleman on the court. JB has made that adjustment and chose Roberson over Coleman for now.
He has been a beast on defense these 2 games as a rim protector.
The early lineups with Roberson, Coleman and Howard at the same time was pure offensive death. And when we don't score it's much easier for the other team to score in transition situations. Hope we never see that lineup again.

Yes honestly, it doesn't matter if he starts. Well oiled machine with this dynamic, leave it be. He's getting plenty of run so why start him and he gets yanked early for whatever reason? Maybe it eases him into the flow of the game and helps him see flaws he needs to patch up in the defense? It really might be better for him as it seemed to be for Dion. Might have helped for different reasons, but again, it's working for all 6 contributors. So let the beast out slowly!

roberson outplayed lydon today.make him 6th man. doesn't matter who starts .

Very happy for Roberson, and that JB finally listened to me!!! The back line defense is so much better with him out there - and those tips are important, kid makes plays even if they don't show up in the box score. Admittedly, I was all for Gillon getting about 5-10 minutes, so just as happy JB doesn't really listen to me. :)

Love him. Still think he should try a secondary career in ballet.

Not really.

But bottom line: very happy that Roberson has gotten re-engaged / infused into the lineup. Our recent "toughness" is in no small part attributable to what he does out there.

It is. But let's be honest. A reason we are in desperation mode is due to Roberson giving us piss poor effort in a bunch of games this year, specially South Carolina and Wisconsin, where he scored a combined one freakin' point. I love THIS Roberson, not the guy who doesn't show up. The guy who doesn't show up makes no sense to me. Giving 100% effort and being ready to play every day- every player should bring that.

Once again, Roberson is on a short list of the most enigmatic and frustrating players of the past 30+ years of Syracuse basketball. Guys can have good games and bad. I don't expect good games every game. I do expect guys to be ready to play every game if they are physically okay.

The doghouse he was in was earned. JB obviously didn't know how to deal with Roberson, an introverted, good kid who didn't like being JB's whipping boy. Why JB continued to slam hm is beyond me. Tyler doesn't respond well to it. JB is his coach, not some jerk on a message board. Four years and JB still doesn't know how to say certain things about Roberson. Whatever, Roberson is ready to go now.

If only he'd stop shooting that fugly jump shot of his...;)

Maybe. But at this point, doesn't really matter. After what happened earlier in the season, if Roberson continues to get 35+ minutes, I doubt he'd care. Starter or no.

Yup! A confident Robby can dominate the game physically in terms of offensive rebounding and rim protection. Just let him play.

There is little doubt now that JB has his iron 6. This is JB's comfort zone and has been, with very few exceptions (2012, ?), for 40+ years.

This team is way better than the record. Let's hope they can sneak into the NCAAT.

It is. But let's be honest. A reason we are in desperation mode is due to Roberson giving us piss poor effort in a bunch of games this year, specially South Carolina and Wisconsin, where he scored a combined one freakin' point. I love THIS Roberson, not the guy who doesn't show up. The guy who doesn't show up makes no sense to me. Giving 100% effort and being ready to play every day- every player should bring that.

Once again, Roberson is on a short list of the most enigmatic and frustrating players of the past 30+ years of Syracuse basketball. Guys can have good games and bad. I don't expect good games every game. I do expect guys to be ready to play every game if they are physically okay.

The doghouse he was in was earned. JB obviously didn't know how to deal with Roberson, an introverted, good kid who didn't like being JB's whipping boy. Why JB continued to slam hm is beyond me. Tyler doesn't respond well to it. JB is his coach, not some jerk on a message board. Four years and JB still doesn't know how to say certain things about Roberson. Whatever, Roberson is ready to go now.

If only he'd stop shooting that fugly jump shot of his...;)
Let's not jump on Roberson's early efforts alone. The whole team was a junkyard mess. Take a look at Lydon's stats for the same time period. Pathetic for such a talent.

JB has the right 5 figured out now and it's showing with great effort from all of them.

As for TT, he needs to get some minutes because we are going to need him as the season goes on. There will be games when Lydon fouls out because he still makes silly defensive moves and Battle will also be a concern.

Crossing my fingers for Frank to understand it's all about team and not I. We'll need him too if we are going to have any chance to be on the bubble.

i'm a big T-square fan. he's young and needs to log minutes. more than the past couple games. but roberson should start.

Let's not jump on Roberson's early efforts alone. The whole team was a junkyard mess. Take a look at Lydon's stats for the same time period. Pathetic for such a talent.

JB has the right 5 figured out now and it's showing with great effort from all of them.

As for TT, he needs to get some minutes because we are going to need him as the season goes on. There will be games when Lydon fouls out because he still makes silly defensive moves and Battle will also be a concern.

Crossing my fingers for Frank to understand it's all about team and not I. We'll need him too if we are going to have any chance to be on the bubble.

I didn't jump on Roberson's efforts alone. I said his poor play was "A reason" we were playing poorly.

Last edited:
I didn't jump on Roberson's efforts alone. I said his poor play was "A reason" we were playing poorly.
Well your whole post was about Roberson "A reason we are in desperation mode is due to Roberson giving us piss poor effort in a bunch of games this year,----" with no mention of how others poor play was just as damning.

Could add another 4-5 boards that he tipped our way but didn't grab.

Forget the jump shot, i wish he had a low post move. His offense is what it is at this point. Very underrated player though with his ups and downs. I'll be pulling for him and look forward to more performances like today and duke of last year.

Well your whole post was about Roberson "A reason we are in desperation mode is due to Roberson giving us piss poor effort in a bunch of games this year,----" with no mention of how others poor play was just as damning.

My bad. I was trying to stay on-topic. Do we really need to bring up the other issues? We all know what they are. That's why threads exist. I've never gone off topic. :p:confused:

I did not intend my post solely to bash Roberson. I'm thrilled he's played well the past two and a half games (he had a very good first half against BC).

i believe your chatroom posts were "dumb.dumb.dumb.dumb,dumb..."

Really, dude? Buzz off. It was about a specific play. I always use the chat room to vent spur of the moment. Am I really defending myself again about my chat room stuff? It's how I get through some games. I also said a ton of positive things about Roberson and others.

Yup especially as relates to TR. So many tip outs that do not show up in the box score. Maybe people judge after looking at stats and didn't watch the game? Silly. Those plays are otherwise a change in possession. Instead, even though he misses a lot of those putbacks, other times, it is an immediate step into look for a shooter. Cooney got those. TB, AW and Lydon get those now.

And what about the high low action with any combination of TT/L/R? Nifty passing going on lately. Pretty!
I think the player that tips out a missed shot that is controlled by a teammate is now credited with the rebound. At least that's how it's scored in the NBA.

25qrvyo.jpg

Why not start Lydon at the 5 and bring TT off the bench as needed? Lydon is going to the 5 for 37 minutes three minutes into the game anyway.