This Is Why Miner Was Wrong | Syracusefan.com

This Is Why Miner Was Wrong

Move them to Niagara, call them the Niagara Bills and then you have your Canadian expansion (sort of) and Buffalo still keeps them (sort of).

So you're saying that Minor saved the Bills and kept them in NY?

I have a feeling that money is gone for good. You never turn down a state handout. Someone else is more than happy to take it . Ugh

Do you really think $200MM was just sitting on the table for CNY? I think it was a political illusion. That project was never going to top the drive to keep WNY in the NFL.

Do you really think $200MM was just sitting on the table for CNY? I think it was a political illusion. That project was never going to top the drive to keep WNY in the NFL.
Yes, I do.

I do as well, each region was getting major $$$ to spend on an economic project. This was CNY, instead we are getting new roads in Slovay and a new theater on the lake. What?

Yes. Joanie Mahoney has been a big backer and ally of Cuomo, despite the different party affiliation.

Yep...your fictitious $200 million just showed up in Buffalo and for get this...A NEW BILLS Stadium. Who woulda thunk it?

Miner is a clown, plain and simple.

CuseOnly said:
Yep...your fictitious $200 million just showed up in Buffalo and for get this...A NEW BILLS Stadium. Who woulda thunk it?

Yeah this type of opportunity only comes along once in a generation as it did with the dome. The money has been set aside by political cronies to generate a reelection and us as taxpayers and the 20+ million NYS downstaters will pay for it if its used in Buffalo Watertown Rochester NYC or here at home in Syracuse. We don't get many shots to have the money flow up the Hudson AND Mohawk past Albany Id hate to see our community wait another 35 years for something transcendent like this. In 35 years our new Interstate infrastructure wont match with a new site either.

Truly the timing was perfect and this was a full on whiff.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Syracuse situation and is all about the death of Ralph Wilson. The NFL wants new owners to be in place by mid October from earlier news reports.

Who is currently paying for the renovations on the stadium now? 130$million spent.

Plus the are saying they want to be closer to their new Canadian fans...if that's the case why doesn't this task force demand Canada put in their fair share.

130$ million is a total waste of capital to be spending for a few seasons of play and then they have to pay $28 million to back out.

Who ever negotiated this renovation deal should have taken in the account of how old Ralph was. Will COR be the preferred developer,after all they did bribe Cuomo with $250,000 in campaign money.

Even if Syracuse did get the money,Ralph died and this task force would still be on it's way and when the cost overruns start coming in who gets the preferred treatment with the state helping to pick up the tab?

not a private university

TexanMark said:
http://pro32.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-niagara-falls-possible-home-bills NY Politicians will earmark money for the Bills/Bulls to keep the Bills in NY. Mayor Stef...you always say yes to $200M. Agree to the money then debate the particulars.
There is no difference. They have a task force to decide where to put it and how much to spend. They're going to take time to figure thus out. Which is what minor wanted to do

I don't pretend to know anything about the money involved. In reading some of the comments on here I would believe some people think its never going to happen. That being a new stadium in Syracuse. All this time I thought next year the state and the city would come to terms on a new stadium.

Bankruptcy looming, a broken school system, a water system that is on the brink of total collapse, these are all issues that are looming for the city. The state refuses to help and continues to hand down unfunded mandates, but somehow they have money laying around for a new stadium. Miner may have erred in not taking the money, but can people not see how unbelievably infuriating this state is.

Bankruptcy looming, a broken school system, a water system that is on the brink of total collapse, these are all issues that are looming for the city. The state refuses to help and continues to hand down unfunded mandates, but somehow they have money laying around for a new stadium. Miner may have erred in not taking the money, but can people not see how unbelievably infuriating this state is.
Isn't that happening in all cities in the upstate New York area?

There is no difference. They have a task force to decide where to put it and how much to spend. They're going to take time to figure thus out. Which is what minor wanted to do
The difference is Miner said no to the offer. It's gone now.

Isn't that happening in all cities in the upstate New York area?
For the most part I would agree. Ithaca would be the exception. Utica has been able to rehabilitate itself by brining in middle class Eastern Europeans who have grown the population and helped to raise property values.

Dmcnabbrules said:

I do in general agree with you it seems crazy some of the things that get proposed when so much needs help in our community. However this could have been a revenue generator for the city to maybe fix some of those problems long term with most of the construction money coming to build it out of county wide, university and statewide purses. Not to mention developing a new business district on vacant city land where there is currently no tax income.

The state I think sees these as Investments to cause revenue generation and job creation within the state instead of many short term handout band aids and that's why the numbers can look so big since its all one project. How accurate or misguided their efforts and math are, I couldn't say but I do know that SU sports is one of the biggest events in the area and it would have moved those events out of protection from taxes because the university knows they need the land where the dome is to expand rationally in the cramped site they inhabit and SU was willing to take the tax hit.

Overall Minor missed the opportunity to negotiate quietly for some short term state help in exchange for her support of a project which would have benefitted the city coffers down the road by bulilding a business district anf stadium subject to taxes and sales tax and allowing the university to expand on land it already owns instead of taking more property off the tax rolls.

Holy roid rage, Calm down. This is a board to discuss topics, not blast people cause they have a different opinion then you have.
know your history before commenting.

No matter what you think of Minor there is no argument that she blew one of the biggest opportunities to create jobs and hope in this city in over 30 years. Total ego driven self serving fool

The difference is Miner said no to the offer. It's gone now.

I can tell you for a fact Minor never said no......it had everything to do with to make sure local contractors had a fair shot at winning bids.

COR has a history to hire cheap out of state labor to build their box stores.