This Is Why Miner Was Wrong | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This Is Why Miner Was Wrong

The difference between the Bills and Syracuse is that the Bills can pick up and leave to go to just about any community they want including Canada. The bills leaving will have an economic impact. Even in it's public announcement the stadium will only be built if the new owners agree and you can your very last dollar that the new owners will playing community against community to get the best built stadium for free.

How would building a smaller stadium in Syracuse have a long term economic impact? People all ready come to Syracuse for 6-7 weekends a year, rent rooms and go to restaurants.

So some tell me how does having the potential to have 5-10 thousand fans less a game bring more money to the community. It's not like Syracuse is discussing from moving to D-III to D-I

Honestly its really not her fault, its the people who blindly voted for her while not doing their due diligence and making sure she would be the correct person to lead Syracuse years ago. We blindly just vote in any Democrat without having proper debates or research on the candidate. Its like everybody bitches about the issues after they are already in office. Let's face it there really shouldn't be Democrats and Republicans anymore because nobody ends up voting for the Republican anyways which actually hurts the entire process because your already pretty much going to lose without even starting. The process is broken.

I want to make sure I'm understanding before I comment. Are you saying there shouldn't be parties anymore or that there shouldn't be Democrat and Republucan bc of voting tendencies?

Bc if your thought process is to get rid of parties you're stepping onto the doorway of Communism. I agree the system is flawed and possibly even broken, but, separation of power and checks and balances still has a place somewhere. The founding fathers might've thought that parties would maintain a degree of collaborative thinking and rational as opposed to competitiveness of which party is in power but the ideology can remain. The representation is what needs to change, IMO.

She knew about this stadium long before it became public. The release of the new stadium timing is what blind sided her. Why hasn't Mahoney release that study where she used the money from the hotel surcharge tax which by the nature of it's authority doesn't have to be made public. is she hiding something.?

The inner harbor, but COR is dragging it's feet on that project.
So you are saying she opposed it because she was "blindsided" to get back at those who "blindsided" her. I think you nailed it.

The difference between the Bills and Syracuse is that the Bills can pick up and leave to go to just about any community they want including Canada. The bills leaving will have an economic impact. Even in it's public announcement the stadium will only be built if the new owners agree and you can your very last dollar that the new owners will playing community against community to get the best built stadium for free.

How would building a smaller stadium in Syracuse have a long term economic impact? People all ready come to Syracuse for 6-7 weekends a year, rent rooms and go to restaurants.

So some tell me how does having the potential to have 5-10 thousand fans less a game bring more money to the community. It's not like Syracuse is discussing from moving to D-III to D-I
you're right. the stimulus arguments do go out the window comparing the two. it's far more likely that the bills move than SU drops football

i don't think this is a good argument for either stadium

it's all so stupid. they're going to spend 90 mil to fix ralph wilson stadium just in time for them to move to a new stadium. no one went to any of those 90s bills games and thought gee this would be great if the stadium were nicer. there are some seats, there are some steps, you walk to your seat, you sit there, and you watch the game. if you have to fix some pipes and bathrooms, fine but otherwise, that's stadium is just fine too

The dome will need to be replaced at some point. This is about the transition to that day.

that was his point though... the $200 million always existed - just was going to go keeping NFL in WNY.
does anyone think that the state would ever say "sorry buffalo, your 200 million was already spent"

why do people think that the chance for a new stadium in syracuse is gone forever? there'll be other governors, when the dome really needs to get replaced, they'll make all the same tired arguments for about creating jobs then

No matter what you think of Minor there is no argument that she blew one of the biggest opportunities to create jobs and hope in this city in over 30 years. Total ego driven self serving fool

"Create jobs and hope"?

That's not exactly the magic bullet in long-term planning.

We can say this until we're blue in the face, but it's not getting through.

I agree, though. If built, the vague stadium idea wasn't going to have any economic impact beyond a thousand or so construction jobs for 24 months. Not worth the state's $200 million, not worth the opportunity cost associated with the land, and certainly not worth the major local contribution that's swept under the rug by the new stadium cheerleaders.

You agree that the system is flawed so we are in agreement that what the country is doing in the voting process is wrong? Why would you assume I am a proponent for communism based on what I said? Typical. Somebody making insinuations about my opinion on how we are voting in the country. And btw in no way shape or form am I defending Mayor Miner. I think she could be the worst mayor the city has ever had.

We can say this until we're blue in the face, but it's not getting through.

I agree, though. If built, the vague stadium idea wasn't going to have any economic impact beyond a thousand or so construction jobs for 24 months. Not worth the state's $200 million, not worth the opportunity cost associated with the land, and certainly not worth the major local contribution that's swept under the rug by the new stadium cheerleaders.
Of course it will have more impact. It's going to host SU events and other events that can't come here now due to the lack of appropriate facilities. The lack of a decent arena is why Syracuse is frequently overlooked in favor of Albany and Rochester. The current dome has had a huge impact on the city and a new dome will as well. At some point the dome will have outlived its useful life. That time is near.

You agree that the system is flawed so we are in agreement that what the country is doing in the voting process is wrong? Why would you assume I am a proponent for communism based on what I said? Typical. Somebody making insinuations about my opinion on how we are voting in the country. And btw in no way shape or form am I defending Mayor Miner. I think she could be the worst mayor the city has ever had.

I never once said you were a proponent of communism. I said the premise of dissolving parties can approach communism if in fact that's what you were thinking. I never once made that assumption. And, I, then defended our current system, flawed as it may be.

Of course it will have more impact. It's going to host SU events and other events that can't come here now due to the lack of appropriate facilities. The lack of a decent arena is why Syracuse is frequently overlooked in favor of Albany and Rochester. The current dome has had a huge impact on the city and a new dome will as well. At some point the dome will have outlived its useful life. That time is near.
what events are these?

I never once said you were a proponent of communism. I said the premise of dissolving parties can approach communism if in fact that's what you were thinking. I never once made that assumption. And, I, then defended our current system, flawed as it may be.

I specifically prefaced my response with a question so that you wouldn't think I was assuming anything about you in particular. Was just making a point about the eradication of parties.

what's wrong with the ON center? That facility is not that old but it's starting to sound like nothing but a big circle jerk for economic impact by many here. Close the ON center down,Demo. it and hope Wal-mart builds in it's place.?

Here's a list of all the college football stadiums and when built...there are many big time programs that have stadiums many decades older than Syracuse that are open to all the elements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums

does anyone think that the state would ever say "sorry buffalo, your 200 million was already spent"

why do people think that the chance for a new stadium in syracuse is gone forever? there'll be other governors, when the dome really needs to get replaced, they'll make all the same tired arguments for about creating jobs then

i wasnt agreeing or disagreeing... just pointing out what the poster was saying.

His point was that that kind of money was never available for syracuse. it was just politcal posturing.

Both USC and UCLA'S stadiums were built in the 20's,made out of concrete just like the Dome and yet you don't here those fan bases screaming for a new stadium to create temporary jobs.

I have had and still do have season tickets since the early 80's and I bet a lot of the posters here who are slamming Minor have none.

what's wrong with the ON center? That facility is not that old but it's starting to sound like nothing but a big circle jerk for economic impact by many here. Close the ON center down,Demo. it and hope Wal-mart builds in it's place.?

Here's a list of all the college football stadiums and when built...there are many big time programs that have stadiums many decades older than Syracuse that are open to all the elements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums
Do you work for the mayor? There isn't a fan base anywhere that wouldn't get fired up over their team getting a state of the art facility for their team to play in , yet you constantly deride it. This is a SU fan base site , not a politically slanted blog.

I also find it interesting that the city and state just spent 35 mil renovating Fowler only to announce its closing 6 months later.. What

Both USC and UCLA'S stadiums were built in the 20's,made out of concrete just like the Dome and yet you don't here those fan bases screaming for a new stadium to create temporary jobs.

I have had and still do have season tickets since the early 80's and I bet a lot of the posters here who are slamming Minor have none.
Those are football stadiums. The dome is and indoor multi-use (basketball and football) arena in a climate and place that demands it. The university is making a statement that the dome, in is present location and state is not going to work for the future. They would be the perfect tenant for a new facility because as others have said... unlike a pro team, they can't pack up and move after 10 years. In addition, the county-owned stadium could host many other events that bypass Syracuse. The War Memorial is too small and the dome has all the tax hassles SU does not want to deal with.

I have had season tickets for football since 1992 and went to most home games since 1980.

I also find it interesting that the city and state just spent 35 mil renovating Fowler only to announce its closing 6 months later.. What
It's not closing. Read more and you will see that the building will still be used as a high school.

Millhouse said:
do i need to call you any names or can you pick up on how smart i think you are?

lol
I believe this post adequately validates cuseinchina's opinion of you.

You're still a step below Tristan, keep practicing.

i wasnt agreeing or disagreeing... just pointing out what the poster was saying.

His point was that that kind of money was never available for syracuse. it was just politcal posturing.
your's just seemed like the post to respond to, wasn't disagreeing with you either

"Create jobs and hope"?

That's not exactly the magic bullet in long-term planning.
You are kidding, right? Jobs create hope. This is a major lost opportunity for Syracuse there is zero debate about that. When you have a gift of 200m offered that can create jobs you jump on it. Period