This team needs to get interesting in a hurry or I'm going to lose my daughters to soccer | Syracusefan.com

This team needs to get interesting in a hurry or I'm going to lose my daughters to soccer

Statesman1

2nd String
One unwanted side effect of this abysmal season is the disinterest of my two daughters, ages 6 & 9. I've alternated taking them both to games over the last several years and this year was tough. On some level, losing is acceptable as long as we are engaged in exciting and competitive games. Those were few and far between and there are only so many ice cream bars and popcorns that can wallpaper over the boredom of a child and keep them engaged in the experience. I'm in the danger zone, and if we don't get better quick, I'm going to be forced to choose between SU football and my kids- they may not like the answer!

Last edited:
One unwanted side effect of this abysmal season is the disinterest of my two daughters, ages 6 & 9. I've altwrnated taking them both to games over the last several years and this year was tough. On some level, losing is acceptable as long as we are engaged in exciting and competitive games. Those were few and far between and There are only so many ice cre bars and popcorn that can wallpaper over the boredom of a child and keep them engaged in the experience. I'm in the danger zone, and if we don't get better quick, I'm going to be forced to choose between SU football and my kids- they may not like the answer!
I hear you. My son is 16. I have taken him to at least one game every season starting with the Kickoff Classic against GT in 2001. He's only seen one win in person, the KSU pinstripe bowl. This year at the ND game, he was ready to leave in the 3rd quarter and he only watched a few of the games on tv this year. His attention is waning.

Rough Year, I always bring people, it was agonizing.

Go to away games. The team always plays better (Except of course, that abysmal performance in Iowa in 2007)

It was as bad a year as I can recall - and that includes Greg Robinson's years on the Hill.

Are we all in agreement that we want a winner who plays exciting football?
Yes, I think we are.

One unwanted side effect of this abysmal season is the disinterest of my two daughters, ages 6 & 9. I've alternated taking them both to games over the last several years and this year was tough. On some level, losing is acceptable as long as we are engaged in exciting and competitive games. Those were few and far between and there are only so many ice cream bars and popcorns that can wallpaper over the boredom of a child and keep them engaged in the experience. I'm in the danger zone, and if we don't get better quick, I'm going to be forced to choose between SU football and my kids- they may not like the answer!
Switch to soccer. You won't be dissappointed. Given free tickets to either, I would go to the SU soccer game. (We had FB seasons for 20 years or so.) Fast paced, great athletes, good skills, entertaining, no commercial breaks, done in 2 hours.

Switch to soccer. You won't be dissappointed. Given free tickets to either, I would go to the SU soccer game. (We had FB seasons for 20 years or so.) Fast paced, great athletes, good skills, entertaining, no commercial breaks, done in 2 hours.
I think he meant his kids might start playing soccer if they don't want to go to SU football games, and then he has to either go to their games or SUs

I think he meant his kids might start playing soccer if they don't want to go to SU football games, and then he has to either go to their games or SUs
Yes, both are playing and my 9 year old is going to stick with it. I'm thinking long term here, too. I live in Rochester and I already have a wife who won't come to football games- she hates it. If I lose the kids, it becomes purely a selfish move on my part to keep going if I can't get at least one of these kids interested. Don't need that headache every Saturday. Factoring in the drive it's a big investment in time. Down the road, if I don't keep them hooked on the game, we're talking years of tension over football Saturdays & Sundays, and potential acrimony with their own future husbands. It would be much better if they enjoyed the game and didn't resent becoming football widows every fall. Trust me I think about this stuff going back and forth on the Thruway.

I drive up from Jersey and rarely regret being selfish about it. Hell, I think that's the least my wife could do since I agreed to live in NJ. Regarding my kids, thankfully I dodged a bullet with the whole soccer thing. My 12 year old and 8 year old are excited when they're able to come up with me. Hopefully the product on the field will be better next year. I'm hopeful also that the spring game isn't Easter weekend again.

I drive up from Jersey and rarely regret being selfish about it. Hell, I think that's the least my wife could do since I agreed to live in NJ. Regarding my kids, thankfully I dodged a bullet with the whole soccer thing. My 12 year old and 8 year old are excited when they're able to come up with me. Hopefully the product on the field will be better next year. I'm hopeful also that the spring game isn't Easter weekend again.

Yikes NJ. You deserve a medal

And then we'll know this team is more boring than watching paint dry.