This was my Christmas post to my employees, referral sources and clients. The sentiments apply to all of you as well. Merry Christmas. | Syracusefan.com

This was my Christmas post to my employees, referral sources and clients. The sentiments apply to all of you as well. Merry Christmas.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
This Friday will be a different Christmas celebration for many of us. Every year, people have a Christmas holiday where a loved one is absent, but that is usually due to their passing, infirmity, or distance. This year, however, many of us will not be able to be with those who we love the most, and it will be solely due to Covid -19.

For me, this will be the first Christmas of my life that I will not see my parents. It will be the first year that I will not be with my sister. It will also be the first Christmas season that I will not see my oldest son, who is now 28 years old. I also will not see my niece, and shortly after Christmas she and her family will be moving to Maine.

I always try to look for the positive of any situation. With that in mind, I count my blessings that those who mean the most to me are all healthy. They are employed. Their families are well. They want for little.

Given all of those blessings, is it really important that we cannot physically be together on December 25th?

So, I have accepted that this Christmas will not be like my Christmases past. Instead of worrying about what is not, I will recall with warmth and affection those same past Christmases. I will make a point to remember the annual bad jokes, the gifts that I never would have thought of, but wound up loving.

I will remember past gatherings, and the family stories that are only told one time per year. I will fondly recall the annual Stevens’ family parties with my wife’s aunts, uncles and cousins and the signing of the same old songs. Who knows, I may find myself humming along to some of them.

I will also take the time to remind myself that I am so fortunate that my Christmases past have always been in warm houses, with lots of family, far too much food and drink and, objectively, more gifts than were needed; but I will also remember the gifts are really a reflection of love and caring, and nothing more. The true gifts were the presence of each other. I will say a prayer for those who have not been as fortunate as I.

I hope that my next Christmas will be more like my past Christmases. Whether or not that happens, I will be mindful to take the time to be thankful for all that I have, to be appreciative for all of the family filled Christmases past, and to be sure to enjoy the next one just that much more, come what may.

When I was a child, this scene from “A Charlie Brown Christmas” was meant to teach children the true meaning of Christmas. As an adult, it anchors me back to that meaning. Every year it brings a tear to my eye, and a feeling that I cannot describe. In my opinion, this reminder of what the Christmas season is truly about is needed more than at any time in my memory. As long as we carry this with us, can any of us truly have a bad Christmas?

Wishing the world a healthy Christmas and new year.

Joy and cheer to everyone, everywhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom