Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

He goes to Bishop Kearney, in JB's extended back yard. I imagine this kid's talent hasn't been lost on the SU staff.

Thomas Bryant is hardly an "under the radar" type player, so if the SU staff has not been in contact with he or his coaches regarding their interest, then they are not doing their job. As well as recruiting is going, I doubt that is the case.

From what I hear in Rochester, SU is very involved with his and Obokoh's recruiting.

Great to hear--I like the prospect of landing a 4-year kid with Obokoh's tools. I have a feeling that he'll prove to be a better version of Baye.

There is a good story on the other site about Thomas Bryant. He seems like a very bright young man.
link? (no word on how he looked at the elite camp)

link? (no word on how he looked at the elite camp)
The article is from the old site, and it is prior to the elite camp. I won't post a link out of respect for this board.

I went to Bishop Ludden last Saturday and watched the scrimmage between Ludden and Bishop Kearney. It was the second time I have seen Bryant in person. FWIW, I wasn't impressed either time with Bryant. In the scrimmage, Ludden was the more physical team up front and the ones got the better of the ones of Kearney each time they were on the floor together ( i will preface this in saying that Obokoh did not play). Bryant seemed to get easily frustrated with the physicality and displayed his frustration quite often. He was tied up with Dan Kaigler (ludden's big forward) and got into it with him a bit, and Kaigler offered his hand as the coaches told them to shake hands and Bryant just slapped it away (his attitude seemed a bit to be desired). Both times I saw him he did not dominate or do very much to make himself standout. Just my two cents from seeing him up close..

good report but sorry about the observations. He is only a sophomore so there is lots of time to develop. If he doesn't than SU moves on to another top recruit. Sorry you didnt see Obokoh...

I went to Bishop Ludden last Saturday and watched the scrimmage between Ludden and Bishop Kearney. It was the second time I have seen Bryant in person. FWIW, I wasn't impressed either time with Bryant. In the scrimmage, Ludden was the more physical team up front and the ones got the better of the ones of Kearney each time they were on the floor together ( i will preface this in saying that Obokoh did not play). Bryant seemed to get easily frustrated with the physicality and displayed his frustration quite often. He was tied up with Dan Kaigler (ludden's big forward) and got into it with him a bit, and Kaigler offered his hand as the coaches told them to shake hands and Bryant just slapped it away (his attitude seemed a bit to be desired). Both times I saw him he did not dominate or do very much to make himself standout. Just my two cents from seeing him up close..
Sounds like he's got a lot growing up to do, but he's still quite young.

not surprising at all that a sophomore in high school has an attitude problem
Eh, I don't know. I don't see it as a phase so I like it when our staff avoids the hotheads. Some get raised right, some are always fighting something or someone. The latter tends to carry over without some type of wake-up call... which won't come in the form of 'junior' or 'senior' year.

I've had enough Deshaun for one lifetime.

Eh, I don't know. I don't see it as a phase so I like it when our staff avoids the hotheads. Some get raised right, some are always fighting something or someone. The latter tends to carry over without some type of wake-up call... which won't come in the form of 'junior' or 'senior' year.

So, you wished Scoop had been expelled from SU. To each their own.

Soooo we shouldn't recruit any 15/16 year old who gets frustrated or maybe lets their emotions get away from them a little bit? I can't speak for you but I know there was a big difference in my maturity levels from the time I was 15 and by the time I was a freshman in college, and I know the same goes for quite a few people I know.

Soooo we shouldn't recruit any 15/16 year old who gets frustrated or maybe lets their emotions get away from them a little bit? I can't speak for you but I know there was a big difference in my maturity levels from the time I was 15 and by the time I was a freshman in college, and I know the same goes for quite a few people I know.
I'm saying no point taking risks on hotheads when you're lining up stellar recruiting classes bursting with character and can pick-n-choose your future teammates as elite programs do. Yes, that is what I believe. The infamous "locker room cancer" effect is very real IMO.

Coach K has been proving how effective character-recruiting is for decades. What is so wrong with it?

I'm saying no point taking risks on hotheads when you're lining up stellar recruiting classes bursting with character and can pick-n-choose your future teammates as elite programs do. Yes, that is what I believe. The infamous "locker room cancer" effect is very real IMO.

Coach K has been proving how effective character-recruiting is for decades. What is so wrong with it?

So no Dion then right? MCW yelled at JB last year we should have kicked him off the team correct?
"stellar recruiting classes bursting with character" What does this even mean?...sounds like BS media hype.

Dion may have been cocky but he was never causing trouble, and we had Scoop here to anchor him and keep him grounded... risk was pretty low for his talent. Even still, if you want to use Dion as an example, they're called "risks" for a reason... the potential reward is always bigger. If there were no potential it wouldn't be a risk, it would be just plain stupid. But for every Dion you can rail off 4-5 names of recruits that caused more problems than they were worth. Deshaun, Wright(s), Lloyd, Lloyd, McCroskey, Theus, etc. - an era of down years can arguably be attributed to attitudes. BTW, how quickly we forget, Dion was no saint his freshman year, fought with JB constantly, became a bench distraction, and was incredibly close to transferring... his transformation was storybook material, but you're crazy to expect it to happen again.

Regardless, my argument is that when you become an elite program you don't need to take as many risks... that's what is happening now IMO.

... and yeah ... I'm trying to lay BS media hype to get people excited about a team on the team's own fan message boards, my aim is to turn Syracuse fans into Syracuse fans. You're onto me, the plot is foiled.

It's interesting that the original poster mentions he seems like a bright young man in an article but then another poster thought he was immature with a bad attitude. I have know idea but we shouldn't get scared away because of one game. Maybe the other player said something offensive to Bryant and he didn't want to shake his hand. An example when I was in highschool playing soccer one team had players that would say really racist remarks to me. Nobody else could hear them.

Can't say what happened here but if someone said something or did something inappropriate then Bryant has every right to not shake the guys hand. I wouldn't. Now if it was just tuff basketball and he was frustrated then I would say he's immature.

Dion may have been cocky but he was never causing trouble, and we had Scoop here to anchor him and keep him grounded... risk was pretty low for his talent. Even still, if you want to use Dion as an example, they're called "risks" for a reason... the potential reward is always bigger. If there were no potential it wouldn't be a risk, it would be just plain stupid. But for every Dion you can rail off 4-5 names of recruits that caused more problems than they were worth. Deshaun, Wright(s), Lloyd, Lloyd, McCroskey, Theus, etc. - an era of down years can arguably be attributed to attitudes. BTW, how quickly we forget, Dion was no saint his freshman year, fought with JB constantly, became a bench distraction, and was incredibly close to transferring... his transformation was storybook material, but you're crazy to expect it to happen again.

Regardless, my argument is that when you become an elite program you don't need to take as many risks... that's what is happening now IMO.

... and yeah ... I'm trying to lay BS media hype to get people excited about a team on the team's own fan message boards, my aim is to turn Syracuse fans into Syracuse fans. You're onto me, the plot is foiled.

I agree, the program is better off taking guys who are good teammates and aren't going to cause problems. My point was to say we should stop recruiting a 15 or 16 year old kid, who happens to be a top 15 player in the country for his class, because he didn't give a firm enough handshake to a kid he obviously had some sort of problem with, isn't a real strong strategy for success. Most guys who are that good are very very competitive. Much more competitive and intense than the average person who just thinks they're competitive because they don't like to lose. He's still pretty young and if the worst thing he does in the heat of the moment is not shake a kids hand, I'm ok with that. Like HouseofCuse said, we have no idea what went on, what was said, or what the issue was. I'm kinda embarassed this has even become an issue...

It's interesting that the original poster mentions he seems like a bright young man in an article but then another poster thought he was immature with a bad attitude. I have know idea but we shouldn't get scared away because of one game. Maybe the other player said something offensive to Bryant and he didn't want to shake his hand. An example when I was in highschool playing soccer one team had players that would say really racist remarks to me. Nobody else could hear them.

Can't say what happened here but if someone said something or did something inappropriate then Bryant has every right to not shake the guys hand. I wouldn't. Now if it was just tuff basketball and he was frustrated then I would say he's immature.

Most of your comment is off base and has no relevance. They were playing and the Ludden player was more physical, they got tied up and Bryant reacted rather ridiculously.. That simple.. He was not a dominant player in the game...That simple..

I agree, the program is better off taking guys who are good teammates and aren't going to cause problems. My point was to say we should stop recruiting a 15 or 16 year old kid, who happens to be a top 15 player in the country for his class, because he didn't give a firm enough handshake to a kid he obviously had some sort of problem with, isn't a real strong strategy for success. Most guys who are that good are very very competitive. Much more competitive and intense than the average person who just thinks they're competitive because they don't like to lose. He's still pretty young and if the worst thing he does in the heat of the moment is not shake a kids hand, I'm ok with that. Like HouseofCuse said, we have no idea what went on, what was said, or what the issue was. I'm kinda embarassed this has even become an issue...

Be embarassed for whatever reason.. It was just my observation, he was not a dominant player in both times I have seen him up close and his attitude was lacking and it was obvious..I will just leave it at that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom