Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

C
JB et al know who is leaving, or who they will advise to leave. SU does not over offer. If JB has offered Bryant, which all indications are that he has, and Bryant has given a secret committment, which one would think he as from JB's comments, JB knows another spot is opening up, likely to be either CM's or TR's.
Could be both.

This isn't rocket science. McCullough has been very clear on his intentions to only briefly visit the SU campus. Except in the case of an injury, He is going to get lots of PT, show case his skills, and follow the $$.

JB knows more about who is going pro or leaving than anyone here. One posters opinion of CM and his lack of play seems to have had a lot of negative influence on the board. CM will turn pro and prove that poster wrong. His play will shut the guy up. If it doesn't we won't sign TB. Simple math and I agree with you wholeheartedly. JB knows talent, not sure about the poster.

JB knows more about who is going pro or leaving than anyone here. One posters opinion of CM and his lack of play seems to have had a lot of negative influence on the board. CM will turn pro and prove that poster wrong. His play will shut the guy up. If it doesn't we won't sign TB. Simple math and I agree with you wholeheartedly. JB knows talent, not sure about the poster.
Shots fired! th_shaqoohhh.png

Have we ever seen that happen? Taking a prior year's scholarship and not passing it along to the next?
sean williams, lesean howard guys that were in my opinion were asked to move on so a transfer will free the scholly up. Also Tee I can't see guys like BJ and Buss sitting and not playing and them not looking at transferring. So by the year to year I didn't mean they would just pull a kids scholly they would help him find a new school of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
sean williams, lesean howard guys that were in my opinion asked to move on so a transfer will free the scholly up.
Yeah, of course it happens all the time. More often than not, I am sure it isn't a straight up request that a player leaves. More of making it clear that the player will not be playing in his career at SU and that there are choices if the kid wants to play, and that SU will help in the search to find a better fit. No coach wants to be the guy that just cut a kid that he recruited. They can't afford to burn bridges like that.

sorry I thought that was implied when I said they were asked to move on? Obviously they are not going to just take away the guys scholly without helping him find a school to transfer to.

sean williams, lesean howard guys that were in my opinion were asked to move on so a transfer will free the scholly up. Also Tee I can't see guys like BJ and Buss sitting and not playing and them not looking at transferring. So by the year to year I didn't mean they would just pull a kids scholly they would help him find a new school of course.
True, true. I gotcha, makes sense. Does happen from time to time and you're right, we can and should make room for Thomas "TB = Beast" Bryant.

I recall a lot of criticism on this board with schools that do that like Cream with Patterson. I thought SU usually stayed under the allowable scholarship limit so am a little surprised that we would essentially "pull" a scholarship. We may help a player find another school but that doesn't make it a good practice. Has to be devastating to a player and his family unless it is obvious that they are not going to receive any meaningful playing time during their career. Assume they don't have to red shirt with the transfer.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but not good if it's Patterson. Don't know of other obvious candidates. Has already spent an extra year in high school.

Never. They were told they would likely never play at SU and if they wanted to move on, JB would help, but they were welcome to stay.

your right cause what player that was told they would never play would want to transfer. You can say it any way you want but you don't think that Jb did that cause he didn't want the kid to transfer so he could replace him with a more talented player?

Never. They were told they would likely never play at SU and if they wanted to move on, JB would help, but they were welcome to stay.

I would be curious to know how JB handles this situation. Maybe he is just a bit more subtle about it than Calhoun and the others SU fans have routinely criticized for not reawarding scholarships to players that they don't want to return (want to "run off").

If he handled it like you suggest than he can't know today that he'll have a scholarship available for Bryant or Jones. The kid that he talks to and suggests won't ever play might in fact say "I want the SU education and I am satisfied to be nothing more than a 4 year practice player if I get that education." And while everyone is certain that McCullough and/or Roberson might turn pro after next season, that is assuming no injuries and that they play to a level that will allow them to draw professional interest. I assume if CM blows out his knee in the first practice and has to sit out the season than he would be back. So while JB can be relatively confident he'll have another scholarship open up, he can't be absolutely certain unless he is willing to resort to telling someone that they aren't being renewed. In all likelihood it wouldn't come to that, but that may be why Bryant isn't in the fold. If push came to shove depending on how JB handles he might have to tell him he needs to go elsewhere.

Where are some people getting the assumption Roberson may go pro after this year?? Kid barely played last year and is still learning. Some of these guys must be the ones that said Coleman and Rak were leaving two years ago and we all see how that panned out.

Where are some people getting the assumption Roberson may go pro after this year?? Kid barely played last year and is still learning. Some of these guys must be the ones that said Coleman and Rak were leaving two years ago and we all see how that panned out.

Its a possibility because he will likely start and play 28+ minutes a game. With the way he rebounded this summer in limited minutes all be it against lesser competition he could easily be putting up 13 and 8 or something along those lines. If he shows potential to expand his offense and makes some jumpers it isn't out of the question. Its not so much what he didn't do last season as its projecting what he may be able to do this season. Kidd was a double double machine in Estonia playing 25min. I can understand that point of view.

Personally I am in the camp that thinks CMac is much better than most seem to give him credit for and he will be playing for a draft spot. He needs to do less than most forwards simply because of his size, athleticism and fluidity to impress the scouts and get drafted very highly. If he does what I expect him to do and BJ is the spark plug scorer off the bench that he showed he can be in Estonia than I think Roberson would likely be back for a Junior season. I really see Tyler as a work horse rebounder this season, feasting and beasting on the glass at both ends and out running other teams forwards up and down the floor.

Last edited:
Its a possibility because he will likely start and play 28+ minutes a game. With the way he rebounded this summer in limited minutes all be it against lesser competition he could easily be putting up 13 and 8 or something along those lines. If he shows potential to expand his offense and makes some jumpers it isn't out of the question. Its not so much what he didn't do last season as its projecting what he may be able to do this season. Kidd was a double double machine in Estonia playing 25min. I can understand that point of view.

Personally I am in the camp that thinks CMac is much better than most seem to give him credit for and he will be playing for a draft spot. He needs to do less than most forwards simply because of his size, athleticism and fluidity to impress the scouts and get drafted very highly. If he does what I expect him to do and BJ is the spark plug scorer off the bench that he showed he can be in Estonia than I think Roberson would likely be back for a Junior season. I really see Tyler as a work horse rebounder this season, feasting and beasting on the glass at both ends and out running other teams forwards up and down the floor.
Here's the way I see it and people may or may not agree which is fine. An underclassman will step up. Win, lose, there's no other choice. One of 4 or 5 young guys will get his. Doesn't matter if we go 0-30 or 30-0. Cooney will score in chunks. Rak will not be our leading scorer. One of the frosh-sophs will accumulate enough "numbers" for the professionals to give him a look.

So I really think there will room for one more. Again, we have a significant enough pool of young resources that at least one of them will be marketable to make it to the league next summer.

Here's the way I see it and people may or may not agree which is fine. An underclassman will step up. Win, lose, there's no other choice. One of 4 or 5 young guys will get his. Doesn't matter if we go 0-30 or 30-0. Cooney will score in chunks. Rak will not be our leading scorer. One of the frosh-sophs will accumulate enough "numbers" for the professionals to give him a look.

So I really think there will room for one more. Again, we have a significant enough pool of young resources that at least one of them will be marketable to make it to the league next summer.

Its a solid point that whether or not we are good one of the forwards is going to be putting up numbers regardless. I think all three of our young forwards are going to be putting up numbers and that we will be pretty damn good especially when it matters coming down the stretch.

I do agree with your scenario Tee and I think that is what it will take for a successful year. I think the younger guards will also have to step up next year. I also think that Cmac is the one who they anticipate will move on to the pros given the fact that he wants to do better for his family situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me unmisremember...didn't we give a scholly to a walk on? Has that been included in the availables? Seems like that would be one that would have clearly been identified as "year-to-year" as long as we don't need it for a beast like TB.

Yep and if you want a backup plan in case SU doesn't have a spot then I can see how that would work for him. I will say what happened to all the other big time suitors? I think they know its SU.
Bing, bing, bing, bing,... we have a winner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom