Thought for Midnight Madness | Syracusefan.com

Thought for Midnight Madness

longislandcuse

Living Legend
One of my favorite hip hop artists is Lecrae. He's releasing an album this fall and going on tour. The artist he is touring with is Andy Mineo. I haven't heard much about this artist aside from stuff my friends from Syracuse and NYC would post on Facebook. I decided to check him out.

Andy Mineo is a "Christian" rapper from Syracuse who now resides in NYC. He is signed to Lecrae's record label and has appeared on Sway in the Morning multiple times on XM Radio Shade 45. I say "Christian" in parentheses because like Lecrae he doesn't only rap about Jesus. He does however have an ultra positive message with clean lyrics which would be a great for midnight madness. I understand its about getting name ppl know in the joint for rep building and recruiting but this artist is starting to blow up mainstream and is from Syracuse. According to his Wiki page, formerly signed to Marshall Street label via the University.

Not to mention his music is DOPE. He had to clarify comments recently where he said Christian hip hop in the past was corny, but he was right. His music is, IMO, as cutting edge as Kanye's new album where he blended mainstream hip hop and Death Grips style hardcore rap. Sway calls him the future of hip hop. So much so that his album is on the top of my workout playlist rn. It just gets you amped! High energy, clean hip hop with a positive message. I get that he doesn't need to be at a University event rapping about Jesus all night but he has a lot of mainstream material as well.

Check one of his songs out..

One of my favorite hip hop artists is Lecrae. He's releasing an album this fall and going on tour. The artist he is touring with is Andy Mineo. I haven't heard much about this artist aside from stuff my friends from Syracuse and NYC would post on Facebook. I decided to check him out.

Andy Mineo is a "Christian" rapper from Syracuse who now resides in NYC. He is signed to Lecrae's record label and has appeared on Sway in the Morning multiple times on XM Radio Shade 45. I say "Christian" in parentheses because like Lecrae he doesn't only rap about Jesus. He does however have an ultra positive message with clean lyrics which would be a great for midnight madness. I understand its about getting name ppl know in the joint for rep building and recruiting but this artist is starting to blow up mainstream and is from Syracuse. According to his Wiki page, formerly signed to Marshall Street label via the University.

Not to mention his music is DOPE. He had to clarify comments recently where he said Christian hip hop in the past was corny, but he was right. His music is, IMO, as cutting edge as Kanye's new album where he blended mainstream hip hop and Death Grips style hardcore rap. Sway calls him the future of hip hop. So much so that his album is on the top of my workout playlist rn. It just gets you amped! High energy, clean hip hop with a positive message. I get that he doesn't need to be at a University event rapping about Jesus all night but he has a lot of mainstream material as well.

Check one of his songs out..

I'd rather see the Orange marching band or BB game band play different songs.

Simon and garfunkle

It will be like Central Park all over again:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine
Tell her to make me a cambric shirt
(On the side of a hill in the deep forest green)
(Tracing a sparrow on snow-crested ground)
Without no seams nor needlework
(Blankets and bedclothes the child of the mountain)
Then she'll be a true love of mine
(Sleeps unaware of the clarion call)
Tell her to find me an acre of land
(On the side of a hill, a sprinkling of leaves)
(Washes the ground with so many tears)
Between the salt water and the sea strand
(A soldier cleans and polishes a gun)
Tell her to reap it in a sickle of leather
(War bellows, blazing in scarlet battalions)
(Generals order their soldiers to kill)
And to gather it all in a bunch of heather
(And to fight for a cause they've long ago forgotten)
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine

Who cares whom KY or Duke has? It is totally irrelevant to SU. In the past few years, we have not had enough BASKETBALL at Midnight Madness (just a riot and some stabbings). Start with the women's team having some skill contests and a scrimmage. Then have the men do some skill contests and a REAL scrimmage. Let's get a good look at the freshmen and the returnees who did not play much last year. Everyone says BJ can do this... and Tyler can do that. Let's see what they can do.

Last edited:
While Kentucky gets Drake, Duke gets Kendrick Lamar and we trot out the marching band?

If we are going to half to compete with other schools for brand recognition then the AD should spend some bucks and get some decent talent. They can get some of the money back by filling the Dome with ticket holders!

Who cares whom KY or Duke has? It is totally irrelevant to SU. In the past few years, we have not had enough BASKETBALL at Midnight Madness (just a riot and some stabbings). Start with the women's team having some skill contests

You go from stabbings to women testing their skills. My mind is not pure because what jumped into it after you wrote this would have got me banned again!

I say keep it local. They'll bring the house down with this, at least for the over 60 crowd. (but I think some of them have since gone to the great Midnight Madness in the sky?)

I like the idea but did you see my post about "talent" ?

Who cares whom KY or Duke has? It is totally irrelevant to SU. In the past few years, we have not had enough BASKETBALL at Midnight Madness (just a riot and some stabbings). Start with the women's team having some skill contests and a scrimmage. Then have the men do some skill contests and a REAL scrimmage. Let's get a good look at the freshmen and the returnees who did not play much last year. Everyone says BJ can do this... and Tyler can do that. Let's see what they can do.

Having a descent Midnight Madness concert might help with recruiting. I said "might".

Having a descent Midnight Madness concert might help with recruiting. I said "might".
That's a totally absurd premise. We already have our 2015 class... and no kid in the 2016 or 2017 class is going to remember (or care) who performed at Midnight Madness in 2014 at the 12 schools that are recruiting him. Kids come to SU because they like Boeheim, the assistant coaches, the Dome, playing time, the fact that Newhouse is here, the fact that Syracuse is closer to NYC than a lot of other schools, etc. They go to Duke or KY because it IS Duke or KY. They don't pick a school because of a Midnight Madness concert

Last edited:
That's a totally absurd premise. We already have our 2015 class... and no kid in the 2016 or 2017 class is going to remember (or care) who performed at Midnight Madness in 2014 at the 12 schools that are recruiting him/.
So you don't think the parade of top flight artists that perform for schools like Kentucky helps their brand? Of course it's not going to make a difference when we have our class made up but it will to future classes when recruits talk about how much fun they had at our midnight madness.

Kentucky recruit tells all his boys who tell all their boys about how dope UK's madness was with this artist and that celeb and every year a new recruit tells new friends and other recruits about this. Meanwhile we have a glorified practice every year? There's a reason why universities put up with possible issues, like ones we've had, to cave in to demands for big name rappers by the mens basketball team. It's a recruiting tool.

Hate to rub anything in but even we've gotten jcole, kendrick, gambino, ace hood, asap mob, krewella, steve aoki and various other names over just the past two years.

Su should get chance the rapper