Thoughts about next year. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts about next year.

It's a given that next year's team won't provide the suffocating defense of this year's group, and playing DC more will shift the emphasis to offense for next year's team. That's not a bad thing, with SU joining the ACC, because the refs won't condone rough play. A Coleman-Fair-Grant set will rebound effectively and outlet for fast breaks. A Kieta-Fair-Grant set will still be Block City if interior defense is a need. I'm not counting Rak in the mix because his availability is being questioned. However, tilting toward offense means someone has to start shooting reliably among the Cooney-Ennis-Gbinije group or else Fair will be our only outside weapon. I'm assuming, for conversation's sake, that that will happen. If so, we should enjoy the results.-VBOF

What are you hearing, Tom?

I've been hearing it from lots of people around town for a couple months now, for what it's worth.

Working off of Tom's roster,

CJ and Grant are going to be monsters next year. CJ's outside shot is already there, nearly 47% and look for Grant to attack the lane like he did this year, get high percentage shots. Add in DC2 getting more touches, we can really open up looks for the guards. That said, I am hopeful of Ennis and Mike G, but I am not sure they will penetrate as much as MCW and Triche. I hope I am wrong.

One of Patterson, Cooney and BJ must step up and contribute. It's asking a lot for the younger guys, but they are here for a reason. But for Trevor, he has to knock down shots and I think he will. If not, we will have two freshmen playing meaningful minutes at guard come March.

I think Roberson gets a decent amount of run as he will be able to do a lot of things at both forward positions both offensively and defensively.

I have a question, and I'm guessing it's too early to tell.
If Rak is gone, does Chino still redshirt? Our centers like to foul, or at least that's how the refs would have it. ;)

It's a given that next year's team won't provide the suffocating defense of this year's group, and playing DC more will shift the emphasis to offense for next year's team. That's not a bad thing, with SU joining the ACC, because the refs won't condone rough play. A Coleman-Fair-Grant set will rebound effectively and outlet for fast breaks. A Kieta-Fair-Grant set will still be Block City if interior defense is a need. I'm not counting Rak in the mix because his availability is being questioned. However, tilting toward offense means someone has to start shooting reliably among the Cooney-Ennis-Gbinije group or else Fair will be our only outside weapon. I'm assuming, for conversation's sake, that that will happen. If so, we should enjoy the results.-VBOF
I don't think it's a given that next years teams D won't rival last years group. Look at the top D we can put out there: BMK > BMK, CJ =>CJ, Grant => JS, the top D out of the front court looks like it will be better.

Yes we lose length from going from MCW to Ennis. But while Brandon was good, he may be replaced by more physical lengthy potential in either MG or Buss, who both come in with more height and in Buss' case a freaky wing span. The overall guard length potential seems about the same. As for the hustle component, I for one am very confident you will see it in spades out of the new guys. Their court time depends on it. We know it, they know it, it's just not that big of a secret. Only Ennis could get away with loafing and still see court time, but I just don't think that's how he rolls.

Yes, DC2 needs to improve his D. But if he doesn't JB can do situational substitutions that look to be able to put a nasty, lengthy D out there again.

I don't think it's a given that next years teams D won't rival last years group. Look at the top D we can put out there: BMK > BMK, CJ =>CJ, Grant => JS, the top D out of the front court looks like it will be better.

Yes we lose length from going from MCW to Ennis. But while Brandon was good, he may be replaced by more physical lengthy potential in either MG or Buss, who both come in with more height and in Buss' case a freaky wing span. The overall guard length potential seems about the same. As for the hustle component, I for one am very confident you will see it in spades out of the new guys. Their court time depends on it. We know it, they know it, it's just not that big of a secret. Only Ennis could get away with loafing and still see court time, but I just don't think that's how he rolls.

Yes, DC2 needs to improve his D. But if he doesn't JB can do situational substitutions that look to be able to put a nasty, lengthy D out there again.

Maybe we could have an "offensive" line-up to get a lead and a "defensive" line-up to protect it, although i don't recall JB ever doing anything like that, except maybe on alternate possessions in the final minute of a game.

Christmas is not coming back.

To me there's nothing worse than a post that begins "We'd be better off without XYZ player..." but I just started to write one. Obviously, if Christmas opts to return, I'd be perfectly happy with that, but let's just assume for a minute that he doesn't. Isn't it possible that we would actually have an "addition by subtraction" situation if Keita and DC share the center minutes rather than dividing them amongst a 3-headed rotation? I firmly believe that big men can develop offensive skills over four years but it appears, at least to me, that Rak may never get there. I hope for his sake that he returns to school - honestly, where are on earth is he going if he doesn't? But if he doesn't, I don't see much of an impact on our team next year.

Did... did you type the "G" in Gbinije in strikethrough? Kind of a stealth silent G, yet noticeable to fastidious readers?

If so, I'm giving you a Tee for that post and I'm going to adopt the practice myself, and credit you when asked about it.

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

I hear he is not a fan of college, really hates taking courses and doing school work. Just wants to get out and start making money as a pro somewhere. Decided he was done before the season even began.

Could be wrong but have heard this from multiple sources.

So how does that make him different from every single other D-I college basketball player?

I will start by saying I have no reason to believe we shouldn't have big expectations for next year's team. I mean, what they lack in some areas, they have in others. We really, really struggled to figure out how to score this season and that had to do with guys unfamiliar with that role being forced into it (Fair) and others being asked to do things they weren't capable or ready to do (MCW/Triche asked to be consistent scoring threats, same for Coleman). If coleman's conditioning improves and he makes some technique improvements (better release point, more consistency on FTs), he should be a much better player -- adequate defensively (I hope) and pretty solid offensively. Cooney should be more prepared for success as well and Fair seemed much more comfortable as a go-to type guy later in the season. Won't ever be a Waiters/Flynn/Melo-type in terms of creating offense, but should be very solid in that role. Grant should be improved and he already looked very comfortable in extended playing time. Keita is great depth. The reports on Gbijne are good and there should be a frosh or two that can help. This team should be fine -- maybe more 23-24 regular season wins instead of high 20s, but should be fine.

Now, the one thing I will say is that I doubt they will come close to this past group defensively. Guys like MCW with that length and anticipation are remarkably difficult to replace at the top of the zone. Triche I'm not worried about, but MCW was a game-changer up there and we'll see more minutes out of DC next season, so I can't imagine that will make for as good a group defensively.

To me there's nothing worse than a post that begins "We'd be better off without XYZ player..." but I just started to write one. Obviously, if Christmas opts to return, I'd be perfectly happy with that, but let's just assume for a minute that he doesn't. Isn't it possible that we would actually have an "addition by subtraction" situation if Keita and DC share the center minutes rather than dividing them amongst a 3-headed rotation? I firmly believe that big men can develop offensive skills over four years but it appears, at least to me, that Rak may never get there. I hope for his sake that he returns to school - honestly, where are on earth is he going if he doesn't? But if he doesn't, I don't see much of an impact on our team next year.

Yup, I like this post. Rak will always look better in person and on paper than he actually will be on the court. Of course, I would have said the same about Fab and I would have been waaaayyy wrong, so there's that. But ultimately I just don't think he's a guy who cared that much about the little things that make you good.

And my simple rule is this: If a kid doesn't want to be there, his departure is always addition by subtraction. The Sox could have traded Carl Crawford for $.10 on the dollar AND he could've gone to LA and torn it up and I'd still say I was fine with the trade. Dude hated boston and it simply wasn't going to happen there.

So how does that make him different from every single other D-I college basketball player?
There are far more D-1 players that know they are going to be making money somewhere besides basketball.

There are far more D-1 players that know they are going to be making money somewhere besides basketball.

First of all, I was attempting to make a light-hearted comment. SEcondly, even a high percentage of dudes at mid-majors think they're going to make careers out of hoops. It's not really exaggeration to say academics are an afterthought for many of these kids and many athletes in general (even in lax where there is no career opportunity).

I remember the Jackson at the 4 experiment time too. Not a good look.
Yeah we were an injured Center away from winning national championship with Jackson play power forward

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Bringing back CJ is so Key, can't stress it enough.
We have CJ, Gbinije, Coleman, Ennis, and Patterson who can take you one on one.

While I think we will see Patterson, Ennis and Coleman do alot more one on one then some think next year thats not the big question. The BIG question is can Patterson, Ennis and Coleman get atleast 12 good shots for us against good competition when they have the mismatch?

By comparison we usually have only 2-3 isolation players.
last year I give CJ got a B+ by seasons end and Mike a B because he needed a screen sometimes, and Triche a C- but he stepped up to atleast a C by march.

I think Patterson will come in no worse then C- Triche but I am guessing atleast a C, Ennis will come in no worse then C Triche. Gbinije I dont know but it sounds like he is a solid C+ at worst, Dajuan was no worse then D+ to C- by seasons end but we didn't get to see much of him. He will get better in the offseason. And CJ will atleast be a B+ as he can take his man one on one. That being said

You look back to 11-12 I give Dions a A as he got by his man at will, 5th year Scoop a B-, Triche a C- and KJO a C-.
You look back to 09-10 and 2002-2003 and we had quite a bit of isolation going. Good teams usually do, but you don't have to be loaded with it to win it all.

I also got to add I think Grants best chance to score next year is in isolation if he doesn't find a quicker more confident release. That and he can add another isolation player to our arsenal. I think this will be a deeper isolation team then even 09-10 and people are going to be surprised.

While I think we will see Patterson, Ennis and Coleman do alot more one on one then some think next year thats not the big question. The BIG question is can Patterson, Ennis and Coleman get atleast 12 good shots for us against good competition when they have the mismatch?

last year I give CJ got a B+ by seasons end and Mike a B because he needed a screen sometimes, and Triche a C- but he stepped up to atleast a C by march.

I think Patterson will come in no worse then C- Triche but I am guessing atleast a C, Ennis will come in no worse then C Triche. Gbinije I dont know but it sounds like he is a solid C+ at worst, Dajuan was no worse then D+ to C- by seasons end but we didn't get to see much of him. He will get better in the offseason. And CJ will atleast be a B+ as he can take his man one on one. That being said

You look back to 11-12 I give Dions a A as he got by his man at will, 5th year Scoop a B-, Triche a C- and KJO a C-.
You look back to 09-10 and 2002-2003 and we had quite a bit of isolation going. Good teams usually do, but you don't have to be loaded with it to win it all.

I also got to add I think Grants best chance to score next year is in isolation if he doesn't find a quicker more confident release. That and he can add another isolation player to our arsenal. I think this will be a deeper isolation team then even 09-10 and people are going to be surprised.

What would you give Melo in terms of grading?

We have always looked for mismatches and iso's in our offense but I feal next year with the way Ennis moves the ball we could be more like 09 when we moved the ball well until we had an open shot or got it to a big guy with an advantage down low. Juudging by your grades I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I just think we will have more shooters and some effective post guys in DC2, Grant and Roberson that we really didn't have last year.

... Gbinije I dont know but it sounds like he is a solid C+ at worst, ...

The surprising fact is that we don't have a real good assessment of Gbinije at this stage. He practiced in the SU program for 5 months -- we ought to have a much better sense of how he can play.

The summer development of Grant & Coleman, and what Gbinije can bring at SG, are my keys to the season.

Did... did you type the "G" in Gbinije in strikethrough? Kind of a stealth silent G, yet noticeable to fastidious readers?

If so, I'm giving you a Tee for that post and I'm going to adopt the practice myself, and credit you when asked about it.

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif
Yup, the keyboard is a pallette and I use all the colors.-VBOF

I'm not sure I can agree with at assertion about Rak not improving. Unless his head is totally emersed up his rectum,he must know his limitations on the court offense wise. Hard work and some coaching in combination might be enough to get him off the the list of "addition by subtraction players".couchburn

I wouldn't sleep on BJ Johnson. This kid is a highly skilled offensive player and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the best 3 pt shooter on the team next year. He is able to get to the rim and create his own pull up shot off the dribble.I think he will see time at the 2G spot next year. He will need to put on weight and get stronger before he can play the 3 down the road. But he might be the surprise of the year next season.

I will never ever say we are better off with a player leaving after i made that mistake with dion. I was convinced he was a cancer and we would be better off with him not returning last yr. Boy was i wrong, will never make that mistake again. Would love to have Roc back but understand if he does not and wish him the best.

Good for him for knowing why he wants. I'll gladly root for him wherever he ends up playing.

Time for DC to step up.
That will actually be a little sad, I liked the kid. Felt he could have had a D-Nic, Laz Sims, Schayes late blooming in him. In todays 1 or 2 and done, Juniors have more space between them and those behind them than they had 20 years ago. Regardless I did like him and would miss him.

Depends if Obokoh is ready for the speed of the game(doubtfull), but with the long bench we have Rak has a chance to be part of a championship team, that already has 5 guys that can play forward, 4 that can play guard, and 3-4 that can play center. Having that 3rd center is kind of key.

It might hurt his pride some but bringing him in to d up when we are up gives us more strength and toughness in the paint. Sounds like he is gone but I imagine its in the back of his mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom