Thoughts about the state of the progam... | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts about the state of the progam...

nzm136

All Conference
1. The sky is NOT falling. Our (far and away) most important player missed the vast majority of the game and Villanova is an elite FCS team. Our offense was facing the worst realistically possible scenario and 'Nova was amped up for the game (whereas we probably overlooked it a bit) and the game took place at the beginning of the year. The fact that this is a week 1 game matters because scholarship limit isn't really felt yet (players aren't tired and/or injured) and 'Nova had all off season to prepare for this game. It wasn't pretty, but we held under pressure, and pulled out the W. That counts for something and it's unfortunately easy to forget the important silver linings and look at this game as "just" a narrow win over a FCS team. Don't fall into that trap.

2. That said, we were not anywhere close to as prepared as we should have been. I honestly think that HCSS is the right guy. I just think that he is way to nepotistic. Our assistant coaches are MAC level, and it has shown in the past, and it showed tonight. We aren't a Mickey Mouse program. Those of us who remember before the fall of Coach P/start of the Grob years know that, and those of us who only recently jumped on the train can appreciate that we were the first team picked in the 2nd BIG EAST raid (in fact, we were Va. Gov. interference short of being the 2nd team picked in the first raid), and we are the program that was a Mayoral vote short of lining up a new $500 million stadium from outside money, on top of our current substantial facilities improvement projects (i.e. IPF, locker room renovations, student center renovations, weight room, rehab facilities, field improvements, etc.). We have the desire, the support, and the heritage. We just need to start directing that towards personnel. MAC-level assistant caches won't cut it in the ACC.

3. We have great conference affiliation, great history (win, NC's, Heisman, Maxwell, HoFers, etc.), and a great product (support, education, facilities, traditions - like the yearly Fort Drum trip). There's no reason why we can't field a great team. Its easy to look at the Grob teams and forget who we are. Don't fall into that trap.

Villanova is an elite FCS team might be one of the best posts in syracusefan.com history.
1. Nova football: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villanova_Wildcats_football

2. Laugh all you want about early season upper echelon FCS games, but this does happen from time to time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game

There are FCS wins against FBS teams every year. Sure there are many more losses, but these gams are excellent trap games and they do bite when they're overlooked.

it feels like you are trying to tell us to not worry, but then you are telling us that we have MAC level coaches. yikes.

That win gave App State more top 5 wins than VPI. Keep that in mind when you mock me.
It's hard to stomach any rationale that in any way says an FCS school, no matter their FCS rank, should be able to beat us. I say beat us bc although we won, Nova thoroughly outplayed and out coached us.

That's a problem.

it feels like you are trying to tell us to not worry, but then you are telling us that we have MAC level coaches. yikes.
The world isn't all black and white. Barely winning this game doesn't mean that the season is doomed. However, having a g5 coaching staff does limit our upside.

In other words, don't overreact to the game (pt. 1), but don't settle (pts. 2 & 3).

It's hard to stomach any rationale that in any way says an FCS school, no matter their FCS rank, should be able to beat us. I say beat us bc although we won, Nova thoroughly outplayed and out coached us.

That's a problem.
No. FCS teams beat FBS teams every year, including P5 teams. FCS teams *can* beat us. That's just a fact of life. However, FCS teams shouldn't beat us. That's a subtle distinction, but it makes a big difference.

EDIT: I do agree with the rest of your post (i.e. out coached and out played being a *major* problem), though.

[QUOTE="2. That said, we were not anywhere close to as prepared as we should have been. I honestly think that HCSS is the right guy. I just think that he is way to nepotistic. Our assistant coaches are MAC level, and it has shown in the past, and it showed tonight. We aren't a Mickey Mouse program. .[/QUOTE]

Clemson guy here. Just wanted to chime in on this point. I don't know enough about your coaches backgrounds to have an opinion on their abilities, but this comment struck a nerve with me. This was one of Tommy Bowden's biggest flaws. He would not change asst coaches. Our fanbase called for numerous changes over the years to address obvious weaknesses and he wouldn't budge. We had some terrible assistants (one of them a family member).

At the end, he hung the double albatrosses of Rob Spence and Vic Koening around his neck and sunk himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom