Thoughts on Klinnsman and USMNT | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Klinnsman and USMNT

Orangezoo

In the wind
So now that we have a pretty good portfolio of games to grade him on I am curious what others thoughts are so far.

For me I feel he has brought some systematic good via stressing youth development, going out and recruiting those with citizenship or the ability to do so along with helping to keep the team relevant in the news with his constant statements to the press.

In just the past few years we looked dominant in qualifying, made it out of the group of death and have seen the MLS start to blossom with one of the biggest off -season DP hauls ever and significant growth via aligning with and creating new USL Pro teams. I think all of the above is wonderful for U.S. Soccer and should help attract top athletes into the sport and help build a really strong talent pool to pick from.

I think that is all the good. The bad I have to say is evident as well. As a tactician he is really suspect so far. He makes changes after success or failures which boggles my mind a bit. He did a poor job planning for potential injuries in the WC that limited us. He clearly plays politics with who plays vs not based upon getting guys like Green etc to commit. Lets hope Julian is no Freddie Adu as his growth has stalled to a halt so far.

In addition to this I think he highly undervalues friendlies. I certainly understand that they are indeed "friendlies" but they do help us in our positioning as we move towards the next WC if we qualify. The 3-5-2 experiment made little sense to me after seeing Tim Howard under so much pressure in Brasil. The whole idea of experimentation as well builds in an excuse of losing games we are able to jump into. Anyways I think he was a very good transitional step for U.S. Soccer but I am not so sure we need to keep him around beyond Russia 2018.

I have a tough time making up my mind on him. I was convinced he had it out for LD with the WC snub and the tweets from his son, but in LD's last cap he kept Landon out there longer than he should have and you could see how much he wanted him to score. The cynic would say he just wanted the goal, but it was a friendly it looked like genuine emotion.

I agree that he made a mistake with our WC roster, but I think overall the program is moving in the right direction and at this point he gets my vote of confidence.

I have a tough time making up my mind on him. I was convinced he had it out for LD with the WC snub and the tweets from his son, but in LD's last cap he kept Landon out there longer than he should have and you could see how much he wanted him to score. The cynic would say he just wanted the goal, but it was a friendly it looked like genuine emotion.

I agree that he made a mistake with our WC roster, but I think overall the program is moving in the right direction and at this point he gets my vote of confidence.

Yeah i have to say the overall progress at all levels is hard to ignore. Also as an MLS fan i am also more excited than ever about the matchups with the quality of talent that will be out there. Oddly despite JK stressing the need to go abroad for comp, the enthusiasm and quality shown at the WC clearly has had an impact on players overseas. The evolution of the MLS into a bigger player globally and pressure to modify the CBA to allow it so may be closer than originally thought. Can't discount the media coverage of nbc for the epl either. It all helps. We just need another U.S. WC over here to really seal the deal.

US Soccer and MLS will ultimately be made or broken by how serious all soccer entities in our country approach youth development.

it has NOTHING to do with "once the best athletes choose soccer.." argument. That's irrelevant. The US lacks technical and tactical qualities because we're so obsessed about athleticism.

Once we have lots of youth coaches that actually know how to coach (not even close yet) then you'll see progress.

Once the majority is this: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/01/29/chivas-usa-academy-future

Then we can see big tangible progress. I'm bullish on MLS, think it has massive potential and will grow. the first club that takes youth dev seriously will win titles and get massive transfer fees, prompting the others to follow. that in turn will help the USMNT

Count me pro Kinnsman!

I think he's been great for the US. He's no above reproach and certainly not the best coach in the world. But he's probably much better than anybody else we are likely to get.

Yeah i have to say the overall progress at all levels is hard to ignore. Also as an MLS fan i am also more excited than ever about the matchups with the quality of talent that will be out there. Oddly despite JK stressing the need to go abroad for comp, the enthusiasm and quality shown at the WC clearly has had an impact on players overseas. The evolution of the MLS into a bigger player globally and pressure to modify the CBA to allow it so may be closer than originally thought. Can't discount the media coverage of nbc for the epl either. It all helps. We just need another U.S. WC over here to really seal the deal.

Good point. For all his this emphasis on dual citizenship he's proven he doesn't discount domestic guys and MLS guys. I never thought Beckerman would be a good national team level player and JK's faith in him proved me wrong.

US Soccer and MLS will ultimately be made or broken by how serious all soccer entities in our country approach youth development.

it has NOTHING to do with "once the best athletes choose soccer.." argument. That's irrelevant. The US lacks technical and tactical qualities because we're so obsessed about athleticism.

Once we have lots of youth coaches that actually know how to coach (not even close yet) then you'll see progress.

Once the majority is this: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/01/29/chivas-usa-academy-future

Then we can see big tangible progress. I'm bullish on MLS, think it has massive potential and will grow. the first club that takes youth dev seriously will win titles and get massive transfer fees, prompting the others to follow. that in turn will help the USMNT

While i get your point you and I define athletes differently. What i mean by top athletes are those who have extreme talent both self made and incumbent who choose soccer as their sport. Soccer is a common complementary sport to everything but american football. Thus skilled athletes still treat it as another sport they play vs "the sport"the play. The youth system is absolutely the key but this concept applies to getting those skilled youths to choose and commit to the sport at that age as well.

. Soccer is a common complementary sport to everything but american football. Thus skilled athletes still treat it as another sport they play vs "the sport"the play..

Not in CNY. If you are not a year round player (unless you are a really stellar athlete, but then your skills aren't up to par) then you won't play on one of the power soccer school teams.

Not in CNY. If you are not a year round player (unless you are a really stellar athlete, but then your skills aren't up to par) then you won't play on one of the power soccer school teams.

If you're playing high school soccer you're not that good or you're not close to a USSDA team. The best players play USSDA and not HS.

Alex Bono left Bville soccer to play USSDA with Empire United.

Im from NEPA and played HS.. AAU and any league i could. Comp was def very good in the whole region and i concur with cf88.

With that said it doesn't detract from it being a complementary sport still. Its growing into requiring year round investment but only in more urban regions.

Good point. For all his this emphasis on dual citizenship he's proven he doesn't discount domestic guys and MLS guys. I never thought Beckerman would be a good national team level player and JK's faith in him proved me wrong.
I thought Bruce Arena made it to the the quarter finals and that team played the best game I have ever seen a US National Team play in the 2002 WC(vs Germany). Only a horrible missed hand ball on the goal line kept it from going to extra time. Klinnsman owes his success to the super human efforts of one player ( Howard ) I would dump Jurgy now but I know I'm in the minority and it will never happen. Sorry this was meant to reply to different quote My bad.

Played very well in the first half vs. Panama. This Zardes kid is a player!
Watch alot of Galaxy games, You could watch this kid get better every time out and playing with Keane and Donovan was a Godsend for his career.

Yeah i had wondered why it took so long for zardes to get a shot. Getting some national team exposure prob comes with some european offers as well.

Yeah i had wondered why it took so long for zardes to get a shot. Getting some national team exposure prob comes with some european offers as well.

Ever since Onyewu's saga I cringe a little when I hear that. I get why guys want to prove themselves over there, but I question how getting buried on the bench and only sniffing the field in club friendlies damages player confidence versus being a star in MLS.

Ever since Onyewu's saga I cringe a little when I hear that. I get why guys want to prove themselves over there, but I question how getting buried on the bench and only sniffing the field in club friendlies damages player confidence versus being a star in MLS.

Yeah I meant that in a neutral context more than anything as too often you see them never get a chance to do their thing and end up as a reserve. Will be interesting to see if Yedlin ever does even get a shot. I felt it may be a tad early for him to make that move.

Yeah I meant that in a neutral context more than anything as too often you see them never get a chance to do their thing and end up as a reserve. Will be interesting to see if Yedlin ever does even get a shot. I felt it may be a tad early for him to make that move.

Yeah, and believe me, I get it. When AC Milan calls, how can you say no? I guess I would just hope guys have a good agent that can get them out of a bad situation if it develops.

I have a feeling it's better for the US to have our guys practice against the best and be coached by the best in Europe and play a lot less, than to stay and be stars in the MLS. I just don't see how dominating inferior opponents makes you better.

Klinsman has the USA scheduled for a bunch of tough friendlies before the summer Gold Cup and all of them are on the road except Mexico in San Antonio in April. The USA will play @ Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark. Hopefully the team can get some results. If the USA wins this Gold Cup we clinch a bid to the Confederations Cup in 2017.

Klinsman has the USA scheduled for a bunch of tough friendlies before the summer Gold Cup and all of them are on the road except Mexico in San Antonio in April. The USA will play @ Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark. Hopefully the team can get some results. If the USA wins this Gold Cup we clinch a bid to the Confederations Cup in 2017.
San Antonio will be the most hostile of the venues.

I have a feeling it's better for the US to have our guys practice against the best and be coached by the best in Europe and play a lot less, than to stay and be stars in the MLS. I just don't see how dominating inferior opponents makes you better.

It depends on how much inferior they are. Obviously there's a point of diminishing returns at some point where dominating them does nothing for you. On the flip-side if the competition level is good enough I think there are big psychological advantages to being seen and treated as a star versus sitting on the bench getting the message that you don't measure up. Malcolm Gladwell writes about this in his one of his books. Essentially there's a fair amount of evidence that being a big fish in small pond is better for you than you being a small fish in a big pond. Obviously being a big fish in the big pond is better than both, but that just isn't possible for most people. Sorry for the pop psych derail.

Count me pro Kinnsman!

I think he's been great for the US. He's no above reproach and certainly not the best coach in the world. But he's probably much better than anybody else we are likely to get.

This x1000. Mourinho is not walking through that door. If history is any guide, the next best option for the US will be a college coach or a mercenary coach. I'll stay with JK, thanks. Jurgen is not without his flaws but his vision for US soccer development is fundamentally correct. Our guys should be playing overseas, e.g. It's a 2-decade project, realistically. Stick with him.

While i dont disagree at all with that sentiment, i think it is also worth noting that the mls will be the most competitive it has ever been and continues to get better. In addition you have to take into account the chemistry benefit gained from having guys like bradley and jozy play together at the club level. As much as talent plays a key role in international success, the familiarity of the german players through playing together at the club level shined through. In spain's run you saw the same 5 years ago. I think certain positions benefit from playing at that elite level where others need the pitch time and benefit from the chemistry factor. The MLS growth has to start playing a bigger role and as it starts to get stronger it will be the ideal scenario to have your best playing together year round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom