Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts

Francis03

All American
I'm boycotting the main board because I know I'll probably get banned for responding to some of the nonsense I've seen recently. So I decided to share some thoughts here where some of my favorite posters come along to drop some reasonable knowledge. You guys might disagree with some thoughts but it's always fun and interesting to share different views.

1)I was spoiled into thinking we could always have kids like MCW sitting on our bench because we would always be loaded with talent at the guard position. Fact is that the lack of combo guard depth has killed us for the last two years. Which imho is inexcusable for a program like SU. Missing out on Sheed Jordan aka Black Jesus and turning down Monte Morris hurt us. 5th years such my guy DeAndre Kane and even Antonio Barton would've been worthwhile gambles as well. All four players would've blended well with Tyler but hey that's life. I'm sure the staff expected Silent G to be better overall.

2)I root for the jersey and I'm no homer or hater to any player but imho moving forward I would prefer to see Cooney coming off the bench. Obviously that will depend on the development of our returning players like Buss, Silent G, and BJ. I feel Cooney's best role is to be the sharp shooter off the bench and provide a spark if he's on the money, because as a starter he just doesn't provide much if his threes aren't falling. I know he has a lot of defenders who think he can do no wrong but I have to keep it real on here. He has two more years left, so hopefully he can turn it around.

3)When it comes to recruiting I think the staff is already acknowledging the flaws of having the lack of combo guards and shooters. Which is why I'm glad we have locked down shooters like Richardson and Lydon. Plus if we can land a guard in 2015 such as Howard or Briscoe, then you're talking about adding another combo with size that can make an impact on both ends. Plus in 2016 we're in good shape with Battle, who could possibly reclassify to 2015.

4)If Ennis is gone then I think it's important to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO guard to help out Joseph. I think Joseph could be better than most expect and the transition/face pace style should return, but I think it would be unfair to rely on another freshman to carry the heavy load once again. For as good as Tyler was, the season still ended in a second round exit so guard depth is still important.

5)As mentioned in another thread. Give me Bryant over Diagne if we had to choose one. One thing that this team lacked was an alpha-dog. Give me one player who is an animal that will rub off that vibe on his teammates. BMK strikes me as having that personality but unfortunately he just never had the talent/skills to be anymore than a hustle player.

6)It would be criminal if Grant leaves because he has so much to work on but if that happens then I think the wing trio of Roberson, CMac, and BJ is good enough to make due next season. I really expect to see a big sophomore leap from Roberson. BJ should work his behind off and become better and McCullough will have flashes here n there of what he can be when he puts it all together but I don't think we'll see all of that in year one.

7)I think Tyler should come back because I don't see how he's ready physically for the Association, but I think from his point of view a top 15 pick at this point might be too hard to pass up. So until he says he's returning I'll just say he's gone. It'll suck to see him go but we have seen much better players leave and we've been alright after.

8)Weird season this was. Went from one of my favorite teams to watch since the 09/10 squad to my most dislike since the Donte Greene squad back in 07/08.

9)I'll say this that JB has always done his best work when expectations are low. So even if Ennis and Grant are gone then I wouldn't on the team right away until we see how the roster shapes up for the fall. Depending on who returns, player development, and any additional players that we add, who knows how next season will play out. After losing Jonny/Devo/Paul, I never thought that we would have a team that could possibly win a chip before Arinze got hurt the following season.

10)With the teams left in the sweet 16, who are you guys cool with winning a chip? As long as it's not UK and Yukon I'm good with whoever wins it.:)

Last edited:
Gathering my thoughts and will be back to post, but yeah, agree wholeheartedly on many of your points, especially about and Kenturkey. And also, combo guard, we need that back. I love Ennis' game, but even the greatest of floor generals need a breather or change of pace when struggling.

Zags said today on local radio he has been told Ennis is likely to go 8-10. If the kid gets a promise in that range, he's got ago.

Francis, do you get the feeling this Bryant/diange decision lasts into late into next season? Right now with the current roster and future signees, the five seems like the weakest position.

Zags said today on local radio he has been told Ennis is likely to go 8-10. If the kid gets a promise in that range, he's got ago.
If that's the case then I can't hate on the kid for leaving and doing what he has to do.

Francis, couldn't agree more with your thoughts. Interesting point about the lack of an alpha dog. Numerous games this season where I felt that was sorely missing. As much as I love CJ, I wish there was some stronger emotional leadership - somebody with some attitude. Unfortunately I don't think we will get that from Rak but I definitely see it in K Joseph down the road, as well as Buss to a degree.

I see why some are skeptical about our chances wo Ennis and Grant but like you, I thought the same after Harris, devo, Flynn exodus. Not saying we will match 2010 but I think there are a number of people who can surprise us. Forwards will have better handle than this years and better range as a unit; joseph pushing the ball will play to our strengths; G shouldn't be as worried about his short leash; we could have some more depth (if JB allows it); and it's inevitable we will be a better passing team, right?

Francis, do you get the feeling this Bryant/diange decision lasts into late into next season? Right now with the current roster and future signees, the five seems like the weakest position.
Diagne plans to decide around the summer. Bryant I'm not so sure but he knows if he wants SU then he can't wait forever.

Francis, couldn't agree more with your thoughts. Interesting point about the lack of an alpha dog. Numerous games this season where I felt that was sorely missing. As much as I love CJ, I wish there was some stronger emotional leadership - somebody with some attitude. Unfortunately I don't think we will get that from Rak but I definitely see it in K Joseph down the road, as well as Buss to a degree.

I see why some are skeptical about our chances wo Ennis and Grant but like you, I thought the same after Harris, devo, Flynn exodus. Not saying we will match 2010 but I think there are a number of people who can surprise us. Forwards will have better handle than this years and better range as a unit; joseph pushing the ball will play to our strengths; G shouldn't be as worried about his short leash; we could have some more depth (if JB allows it); and it's inevitable we will be a better passing team, right?
I remember the Nova game back in December when we were down 18 and I saw Grant grab Cooney and others to huddle up and was shouting instructions to them and we went on a big run to win the game after that. This past Saturday in the Dayton game while the whole team played like crap in the 1st half, I remember after a foul the Dayton players were amped huddling up while our guys just stood around like whatever and just ignored each other. Not saying that's the difference of winning or losing but I love to see some passion at least. Joseph's AAU coach Vinny Pastore praised how good Joseph's leadership was over the years but I think it's hard for a freshman to just come in and do that but we'll see.

Style of play and a quicker pace should benefit the team next season than what we saw this year. We'll definitely have the personnel for it.

About Cooney. Although I am a huge supporter of TC and will continue to do so, you might have something with him coming off the bench. Worked for Dirty and Dion.

And to your point about guard depth, 100% agree. If Ennis bolts, we need another natural point guard. G has his moments, but another guy that can turn the corner with his dribble and dish or get it into the lane.

Its always great to hear your thoughts Francis.

Here are a few of my random thoughts on personnel, etc.

Cooney is going to be the starter next year, and he is going to be great. His biggest problem was being forced into action too soon. Most shooters take a few years to round into form. This was true of Shumpert, Nichols, Rautins, Southerland, even Wes Johnson (though his growth came at Iowa St. and not SU). Unfortunately the difference between Cooney and most of those guys is we had no other options. We had to play him as a freshman when he should have been sitting the bench and improving his game as Patterson did this year. This year he had to play a ton because Gbinije was not good enough. If Cooney does not blossom as a junior I might change my opinion on him, but the percentages seem to indicate that we get a big jump in production from him next year.

At the same token, I think BJ Johnson is a year away from contributing. I would be surprised to get much from him next year.

The real battle should be between Gbinije and Patterson for back-up shooting guard. Even if Ennis comes back we need someone to give Cooney a break. The guy runs as much or more during the course of a game as any player I have ever seen. It would be good to have a guy who can play 10 to 15 good minutes a game at the two next year to take some of the load off. If we don't get a big jump in production from one or both of those two it will be a disappointment.

Speaking of Ennis, I think he gets drafted about 10 spots lower than people are projecting, if he goes. Last year MCW was a low first round pick, and helped himself by making it to the final four. Then he helped himself again in workouts when teams saw a 6'6 guard a seven foot wingspan and a crazy vertical. Every year some players get bumped up in the draft because of post season success, this year some of those guys are going to be passing Ennis. Then he is going to get another drop when scouts see that he is 6'2 with no special length, speed, or jumping ability. That said, I have no idea if all this means he is going to stay or go, but I really don't think he is a top 10 pick if he goes. Much more likely he ends up around 20.

Last year we tried to get Barton to transfer here, but I have an educated guess that Ennis was so good it scared him away. If Ennis does leave, it will be interesting to see what the transfer situation looks like. You have to think a fifth year senior would like his chances to earn a bunch of minutes with only a freshman to compete against. And who wouldn't want to be the starting point guard for a team like Syracuse? Then again we might be better off if Joseph is good enough to scare a few possible transfers off himself.

The same is true with Coleman. If we have Coleman healthy we are in good shape at the center position. If not it will be interesting to see if Boeheim like Obokoh in the back up center role or if he tries to get a stop gap to fill in where Coleman should have been.

As far as future recruiting goes. I want Bryant and Battle. If we get those two we will be elite for a while to come, no matter who else we get/don't get.

A lot of good stuff.

We've been talking about McCullough. There wouldn't be much concern with replacing Grant if McCullough was as good as advertised.

Did Boeheim actually say at one time that McCullough was his best recruit since Melo?

I thought at the beginning of this year we were a year away. I think this team was very similar to 2010-2011. We really only had four guys be main contributors this year. In 09-10 we had 7 main guys and 11-12 we had 8-10.

This year our offense was way to predictable. Cooney as the shooter, fair and grant attacking the basket. Even Ennis wasn't that comfortable shooting jump shots.

Besides needing more shooting, would it really be asking to much for Roc to make a senior year level improvement comparable to Rick Jackson. We just need some prescience inside to take the pressure off Cooney/ other shooters from the perimeter and we have missed that for a few years.

I think we see improvement out of everyone returning, because that's usually what Syracuse players do, but I have to agree with you Francis, it seems to me Grant definitely should come back. I don't see anyway how he should make the jump this year when he is projected to go in the 20's.

It seems to me we are starting to build considerable depth for the future so I am excited to see how the team rounds out next year. I think we finally saw silent g make improvements down the stretch. He finally started to be aggressive. I'd like to see what other improvements he can make over the summer. Heck maybe he can even start at the three and help take some of the pressure off Cooney on the outside.

About Cooney. Although I am a huge supporter of TC and will continue to do so, you might have something with him coming off the bench. Worked for Dirty and Dion.

And to your point about guard depth, 100% agree. If Ennis bolts, we need another natural point guard. G has his moments, but another guy that can turn the corner with his dribble and dish or get it into the lane.

First half of the year Cooney was who we all hoped he would be. I'm hopeful he can get back there since he has a couple more years and as others have pointed out, it tends to take some shooters time.

With that said, he can't get his shot off like the bigger forwards (Wes, Nichols, southerland), and doesn't appear to have range like GMac or Rautins. He needs to bring something else to the table - he has no court vision and doesn't get assists, and rarely takes it to the rim. I feel as if he is constantly over thinking and has the 3 pointer on his brain all too often. It's his role but he needs be be a basketball player first.

Its always great to hear your thoughts Francis.

Here are a few of my random thoughts on personnel, etc.

Cooney is going to be the starter next year, and he is going to be great. His biggest problem was being forced into action too soon. Most shooters take a few years to round into form. This was true of Shumpert, Nichols, Rautins, Southerland, even Wes Johnson (though his growth came at Iowa St. and not SU). Unfortunately the difference between Cooney and most of those guys is we had no other options. We had to play him as a freshman when he should have been sitting the bench and improving his game as Patterson did this year. This year he had to play a ton because Gbinije was not good enough. If Cooney does not blossom as a junior I might change my opinion on him, but the percentages seem to indicate that we get a big jump in production from him next year.

At the same token, I think BJ Johnson is a year away from contributing. I would be surprised to get much from him next year.

The real battle should be between Gbinije and Patterson for back-up shooting guard. Even if Ennis comes back we need someone to give Cooney a break. The guy runs as much or more during the course of a game as any player I have ever seen. It would be good to have a guy who can play 10 to 15 good minutes a game at the two next year to take some of the load off. If we don't get a big jump in production from one or both of those two it will be a disappointment.

Speaking of Ennis, I think he gets drafted about 10 spots lower than people are projecting, if he goes. Last year MCW was a low first round pick, and helped himself by making it to the final four. Then he helped himself again in workouts when teams saw a 6'6 guard a seven foot wingspan and a crazy vertical. Every year some players get bumped up in the draft because of post season success, this year some of those guys are going to be passing Ennis. Then he is going to get another drop when scouts see that he is 6'2 with no special length, speed, or jumping ability. That said, I have no idea if all this means he is going to stay or go, but I really don't think he is a top 10 pick if he goes. Much more likely he ends up around 20.

Last year we tried to get Barton to transfer here, but I have an educated guess that Ennis was so good it scared him away. If Ennis does leave, it will be interesting to see what the transfer situation looks like. You have to think a fifth year senior would like his chances to earn a bunch of minutes with only a freshman to compete against. And who wouldn't want to be the starting point guard for a team like Syracuse? Then again we might be better off if Joseph is good enough to scare a few possible transfers off himself.

The same is true with Coleman. If we have Coleman healthy we are in good shape at the center position. If not it will be interesting to see if Boeheim like Obokoh in the back up center role or if he tries to get a stop gap to fill in where Coleman should have been.

As far as future recruiting goes. I want Bryant and Battle. If we get those two we will be elite for a while to come, no matter who else we get/don't get.

Something about our offense has to change if Cooney is to make the leap you expect. He just doesn't seem to be able to get the separation he needs in order to take and make the number of shots it will take to turn people's opinion around on him. I think he needs to extend his range even farther this off-season but he also needs to work on the dribble drive so teams don't know what to actually expect from him. And maybe the latter is kind of what you are getting at.

First half of the year Cooney was who we all hoped he would be. I'm hopeful he can get back there since he has a couple more years and as others have pointed out, it tends to take some shooters time.

With that said, he can't get his shot off like the bigger forwards (Wes, Nichols, southerland), and doesn't appear to have range like GMac or Rautins. He needs to bring something else to the table - he has no court vision and doesn't get assists, and rarely takes it to the rim. I feel as if he is constantly over thinking and has the 3 pointer on his brain all too often. It's his role but he needs be be a basketball player first.
I would love him to use a quick first step to at least shoot mid range with some room or penetrate. He did this a few times earlier in the year but not nearly enough. You're right. He needs another dimension.

Something about our offense has to change if Cooney is to make the leap you expect. He just doesn't seem to be able to get the separation he needs in order to take and make the number of shots it will take to turn people's opinion around on him. I think he needs to extend his range even farther this off-season but he also needs to work on the dribble drive so teams don't know what to actually expect from him. And maybe the latter is kind of what you are getting at.

What I think is going to change is he adds the one or two dribble drive into a pull up. You could see he was working on it. I think he begins to perfect it next year.

I really think both Ennis and Grant need to come back. I certainly can't fault them for leaving. I personally don't see Ennis going out like that. His expression after Dayton reminded me of Trey Burke during the last two games of his freshman year at Michigan.

The thing that disappointed me most about this team is that it seemed Miami figured us out. They slowed the game down which prevented us from scoring. We saw none of the fast breaks or lobs inside. I wondered all season if this was on Ennis or JB's gameplan for a freshman point guard. If we get back to running next year, I think Cooney becomes a deadly threat. On the fast break teams will have to decide to commit to defending the ball or Cooney setting up on the 3 pt line. Kaleb Joseph has been compared to Kemba Walker and would thrive with the fast paced game. Look how good we appeared to be in the Duke game. We just have never been a good half court team.

I think JB sells Grant on being a focal point of the offense, he comes back. If we cheat the forwards like we have in years past, I just can't see how he doesn't destroy teams on the fast break. Backdoor ally-oops should be a play we see consistently out of Grant and CMac. Grant improves his shooting a bit and we showcase his athletic ability no way he is not a lottery pick.

BJ Johnson and Buss are my wild cards. Both could be huge at the top of the zone and ooze athleticism. If they can consistently shoot they should be fun additions to watch.

I would love him to use a quick first step to at least shoot mid range with some room or penetrate. He did this a few times earlier in the year but not nearly enough. You're right. He needs another dimension.

It's frustrating because, except for the passing element, I think he has the ability to be more potent than Rautins. He has the ability to put it on the floor but he chooses not to most of the time. It's probably the bad screening and play design most of the time I bet when he can't get free for a look. This HAS to change. Syracuse is an elite program and there is something wrong when your shooter can't get free. I see Heslip on Baylor wide open most of the time. Does he start by the way? Can't remember.

A lot of good stuff.

We've been talking about McCullough. There wouldn't be much concern with replacing Grant if McCullough was as good as advertised.

Did Boeheim actually say at one time that McCullough was his best recruit since Melo?
So McCullough says if I recall correctly.

I thought at the beginning of this year we were a year away. I think this team was very similar to 2010-2011. We really only had four guys be main contributors this year. In 09-10 we had 7 main guys and 11-12 we had 8-10.

This year our offense was way to predictable. Cooney as the shooter, fair and grant attacking the basket. Even Ennis wasn't that comfortable shooting jump shots.

Besides needing more shooting, would it really be asking to much for Roc to make a senior year level improvement comparable to Rick Jackson. We just need some prescience inside to take the pressure off Cooney/ other shooters from the perimeter and we have missed that for a few years.

I think we see improvement out of everyone returning, because that's usually what Syracuse players do, but I have to agree with you Francis, it seems to me Grant definitely should come back. I don't see anyway how he should make the jump this year when he is projected to go in the 20's.

It seems to me we are starting to build considerable depth for the future so I am excited to see how the team rounds out next year. I think we finally saw silent g make improvements down the stretch. He finally started to be aggressive. I'd like to see what other improvements he can make over the summer. Heck maybe he can even start at the three and help take some of the pressure off Cooney on the outside.
I think Rak can become a very solid player but imho I don't think JB was the right coach for him to succeed in the early goings. He seems to be the type that just needs to play and go through the motions whether good or bad. JB giving him the quick hooks after one mistake was no way to help his development. It's no coincidence that he played his best ball ever when BMK was hurt and wasn't worried looking over his shoulders after making a mistake.

I can't see how any GM unless he wants to get fired would draft a wing like Grant who hasn't hit at least one 3-pointer all year in the top 20. You don't leave early to be drafted in the 20's unless you have money issues or want to become the second coming of Donte Greene, who is now currently collecting checks in China. The 2015 draft is extremely weak, so hopefully JB and Harvey tell Jerami that coming back and working on his game next season is better than spending the majority of the season in the D-league next year eating ramen noodles every night on the road. You need more than a spin move into a double team to be successful in the Association.

Last edited:
So McCullough says if I recall correctly.
Thanks Francoise! Love the post...I know peeps are down a little on Cmac...but not me. That dude is The Gift. His motor doesn't bother me, but it seems like he defers a lot. I maintain he's going to be a star though...

You know the one guy we could use...Whitehead... So dumb.

As far as teams to win it all...Arizona...

I think Rak can become a very solid player but imho I don't think JB was the right coach for him to succeed in the early goings. He seems to be the type that just needs to play and go through the motions whether good or bad. JB giving him the quick hooks after one mistake was no way to help his development. It's no coincidence that he played his best ball ever when BMK was hurt and wasn't worried looking over his shoulders after making a mistake.

I can't see how any GM unless he wants to get fired would draft a wing like Grant who hasn't hit at least one 3-pointer all year in the top 20. You don't leave early to be drafted in the 20's unless you have money issues or want to become the second coming of Donte Greene, who is now currently collecting checks in China. The 2015 draft is extremely weak, so hopefully JB and Harvey tell Jerami that coming back and working on his game next season is better than spending the majority of the season in the D-league next year eating ramen noodles every night on the road. You need more then a spin move into a double team to be successful in the Association.

I didn't look at the stats, but Grant had to have taken more 3 pointers last year in limited minutes than he did this year, right? He definitely needs to keep working on that jumper, but I'm not sure he's ever going to straighten out that form.

Completely agree with you on Rak. Especially about the time when BMK was hurt. Easily the best ball he played all year.

Any idea what happens with DC?

Agreed with your points.

And yes, Cooney absolutely is a bench talent. That's not an insult. It's just reality. He never necessarily earned that starting position, he just fell into it due to our lack of recruiting guards. He had a great game against Notre Dame and a solid 1st half of the season, but he absolutely fell apart when it mattered.

I think he'll succeed as a shooter off the bench, he has tremendous energy.

Edit: Until Cooney can create offense for others, get to the line more or be a better all around defender...I'd rather G start. Especially if G improves his shot.

We'll be deadly down low next year. G and KJo will penetrate and dish to the three headed monster.

I'm not sure Cooney will.

Last edited:
Completely agree about Cooney. This his best role would be off the bench because right now all he offers is a streaky shot. No handle, no dribble drive and average defense. The ability to spark the offense could be huge off the bench however. If he struggles, then it wouldn't force us to play a guy who doesn't offer anything.

If Grant and Ennis come back we will have a similar squad to this year. I think we'd be better defensively because McCullogh and Grant would be nasty wings and Rak is a great shot blocker. BUT still have similar issue of not being able to shoot. I think we'd have a five man bench: Coleman, Joseph, G, Roberson, Johnson. Big IFs will be if Roberson can make the sophomore jump a la Joseph/Fair/Grant and can McCullough make an impact from day one or will he be a 5min and pull guy like Rak/Fab/Coleman. We will need Johnson's shooting at times. He looks pure. If shooting comes together and team hits it's stride has FF potential.
Line-Up:
Ennis ~35
Cooney ~25
Grant ~35
McCullough ~20
Rak ~30

Joesph (1/2) ~10 /Roberson (3/4) ~20 / G (2/3) ~20 /Johnson (2/3) ~10 /Coleman (5) ~10

If they leave, we will NEED to take a JUCO/5th year at guard. Joesph will need someone to split minutes with. This team will have NIT written all over it.
Line-Up:
Joseph ~32
Cooney ~30
G ~35
McCullough ~20
Rak ~30

Transfer/Buss (1/2) ~10
Roberson (4/5) -20
Johnson (2/3) ~15
Coleman (5) -10

I didn't look at the stats, but Grant had to have taken more 3 pointers last year in limited minutes than he did this year, right? He definitely needs to keep working on that jumper, but I'm not sure he's ever going to straighten out that form.

Completely agree with you on Rak. Especially about the time when BMK was hurt. Easily the best ball he played all year.

Any idea what happens with DC?

You are correct. Grant was 6-15 from three last year. This year 0-2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom