Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts

JB specifically mentioned it in an interview. Said he will next add dribble and shoot.

Yes -- he should. And that has been an obvious since he stepped on campus 3 years ago.
I wonder why you treat Cooney as a special case. CJ worked on adding a move to his right; Rak added a little hook move and improved his free throws. Gbinije has a ways to go, but it is obvious he worked at PG play. Could add to the list.

Arizona bothers me every time I watch them play. They are as close to a replica as our team this year as you can get. They play great defense and have trouble scoring/shooting. They even lost one of their best players yet somehow they're still playing. Somehow they finished the season strong. They had some close calls like we did but they grew as a team and got better as the season went along, not worse.
Agree 100% with your whole post. I thought Zona was done as possible championship contenders when Ashley was out for the year. Not because I thought Ashley was great but when you have a thin rotation losing a player that gives you about 12ppg is huge. Like you said though, they adjusted and the close calls only got them stronger and playing better.

Good post. Can you imagine if we played SDSU, lol? First of all, Arizona MUST have superior conditioning and be mentally tough. They play a thin bench, weathered the storm of constant tough SDSU pressure D, and weathered the storm of Tarczewski getting an early 4th foul. I made a post yesterday about it but one factor which makes Arizona excellent is their passing. Not a lot of ball stopping either yesterday at least. Ball stopping would've gotten them beaten. Also Gordon and RHJ are better than people think at passing and putting it on the floor.
Yup, passing and spacing is another great aspect that they're very good at. It's especially impressive since they don't have that one pure consistent outside shooter for the opponents to worry about. As sandman noted above, as much as we love CJ and Grant, neither was much good at finding the open man on drives. The SU staff actually recruited RHJ as a PG in the early goings and I think we can see now why they thought he had the potential to play at that position.

Same as the staff. A kid that will out work everyone to improve his weaknesses.
At some point though that hard work has to translate to games not just out working people in practice. I respect what Cooney does for the team and think he's valuable but if someone can produce than that person deserves to start or get more minutes, and I'm not ready to say silent g, buss, or bj are better or more deserving but if they are they should be getting more time, especially when Cooney is in one of his long shooting slumps.

RF2044 said:
I've been saying it! Our offensive woes are not all just about shooting--we lack balance.

Ryan, I apologize. I somehow missed your posts and your analysis is usually one that I agree with strongly. It has gotten much harder for me to look at and post on the board because I feel I have to dig through a lot of muck to get to the good content.

I can only think that if we had a healthy DC2, this season and specifically Trevor's season would have finished differently.

Diagne plans to decide around the summer. Bryant I'm not so sure but he knows if he wants SU then he can't wait forever.

I can't see Bryant committing before November. He wants to take his visits.

Agreed with your points.

And yes, Cooney absolutely is a bench talent. That's not an insult. It's just reality.

I think he'll succeed as a shooter off the bench, he has tremendous energy.

Cooney finished 2nd in the ACC in steals, didn't he?

Has JB ever named a sophomore starter and then put him on the bench next year for an underclassman? I don't really recall that happening off the top of my head? Leads me to believe that Cooney will be starting here two more years. I think Cooney will benefit from a faster pace offense and get more open looks in transition. Also he would benefit greatly from not being the only shooter on the team.

As much as I like CJ I am happy to see us move on from the ISO CJ offense. It was awful to watch. CJ wasn't good enough to lead like that.

Allen Griffin.

Ryan, I apologize. I somehow missed your posts and your analysis is usually one that I agree with strongly. It has gotten much harder for me to look at and post on the board because I feel I have to dig through a lot of muck to get to the good content.

I can only think that if we had a healthy DC2, this season and specifically Trevor's season would have finished differently.

No worries!!!

Have a great weekend, Sean!

Cooney finished 2nd in the ACC in steals, didn't he?

Yes.

However that's misleading, as he was not quite the defensive talent we're used to at the guard position in the zone.

At some point though that hard work has to translate to games not just out working people in practice. I respect what Cooney does for the team and think he's valuable but if someone can produce than that person deserves to start or get more minutes, and I'm not ready to say silent g, buss, or bj are better or more deserving but if they are they should be getting more time, especially when Cooney is in one of his long shooting slumps.

And if they are they will.

Yes.

However that's misleading, as he was not quite the defensive talent we're used to at the guard position in the zone.

People are misguided about defense at the top of the zone. Cooney nor Ennis had the length that MCW and Triche had. So right off the bat they won't be as effective. Not always going to have that length and many times in the past it's been so. Flynn and many others didn't have that length. But Ennis and Cooney both worked as hard as anyone especially Cooney. Show me how many times he didn't fight through over or under a screen. JB thinks Cooney is a very good defender and has said as much, but yet again you disagree with him to toss out a sound bite.
Yes -- he should. And that has been an obvious since he stepped on campus 3 years ago.
I wonder why you treat Cooney as a special case. CJ worked on adding a move to his right; Rak added a little hook move and improved his free throws. Gbinije has a ways to go, but it is obvious he worked at PG play. Could add to the list.

Who is tearing Cooney special? Fair had to work in it and never got there. Rak worked in that hook and only used it a handful of times. So someone asked about Cooney improving. JB said he will work more in his dribble and pull up. Has nothing to do with anyone else. It was a reply to what he needed to work on and he will.

nice thread

Two quick points:

1) Touched on a little but I think losing Coleman really hurt this team in the long run. With such an offensively challenged team having BMK (and I love BMK always will) in the game really killed us. Coleman I thought was starting to show that he could play more minutes and I think he would have done well in conference play with bigger bodies to bang with. He was our best offensive center and I really hope we have him to compliment RaXmas next year.

2) Lot of mentions of Gbinije at forward, and I really hope we don't see much of him at forward next year. With or without Grant I think it will be a bad sign if he is playing forward. 1) The coaches brought him here to play guard. 2) He is a terrible rebounder as a forward. 3) With Ennis gone I think we will need him to play the point a lot more to help Kaleb. 4) It means Roberson/CMAC/BJ aint cutting it. Though to look at it differently it could mean Kaleb/BJ/Buss are playing well at guard.

one other one:

I love CJ but the whole isolation and Melo plays for him is where our offense went to . I have said this earlier in the season, but the offense should have gone through our best two players, Ennis and Grant. CJ still would have got his 16-18 points but the offense would have flowed much better.

I've been saying it! Our offensive woes are not all just about shooting--we lack balance.

We lacked the ability to hit a tough shot with a fast release in isolation. Syracuse offense is built around alot of isolation ball imo. We operate on intimidating the opponent its the only way we play basketball. They might not let up but they will feel the pressure in games we control.

I think back to 09-10 rautins, wes, ao, Kjo, even scoop later in the season had isoation scoring skills. A big reason we were so dominant, and can be extemely overlooked, because of two things. One our ability to score from all over the court that year which lead to assists. And two we had a few verteran shooters from outside with real deep range, that could also shoot under pressure.

AO had the ability to back his man down 92 percrent of the time, Rautins the ability to hit a three with a hand in his face, and wes' the ability to make his defender play off him so he could shoot or drive. KJO had the ability to take his man one on one from the top of the three point with fresh legs,and by march scoop started to develop the same.

I fear this could continue into next year if grant leaves or doesn't put some weight on. We will see Joseph forcing alot early, and I can't imagine mccullough as a big isolation scorer to maybe late in the season.

I think Gbinije has a outside chance of becoming a decent isolation scorer (especially at forward) if he can start knocking down those 12 footers from the sides not just the top of the free throw line.

The first thing I look at from a Syracuse team is isoation scorers. Most top 5 dominant teams usually have 2 or atleast one really good one.

Last edited:
10)With the teams left in the sweet 16, who are you guys cool with winning a chip? As long as it's not UK and Yukon I'm good with whoever wins it.:)
Guess I'm going to have to be a big fan of both the Michigan schools on Sunday. Louisville had that game until Russdiculous decided to show up. As much as I hate UK, I have to give the young pups their props. In both the last two games in crunch time, they have played smart and knocked down clutch shots. Hopefully that comes to an end on Sunday.

People are misguided about defense at the top of the zone. Cooney nor Ennis had the length that MCW and Triche had. So right off the bat they won't be as effective. Not always going to have that length and many times in the past it's been so. Flynn and many others didn't have that length. But Ennis and Cooney both worked as hard as anyone especially Cooney. Show me how many times he didn't fight through over or under a screen. JB thinks Cooney is a very good defender and has said as much, but yet again you disagree with him to toss out a sound bite.

Who is tearing Cooney special? Fair had to work in it and never got there. Rak worked in that hook and only used it a handful of times. So someone asked about Cooney improving. JB said he will work more in his dribble and pull up. Has nothing to do with anyone else. It was a reply to what he needed to work on and he will.

I know I am just repeating what has been said by many on this board already. I don't know how anyone can bury TC after this year. His improvement in all facets to his game were secong to none on this team. He works harder than anyone to get open. I thinnkthe biggest things that hurt him coming down the stretch were

1. Better teams have the ability to focus on one player and taking him out of the gameplan. It was easy looking at the ND game thatif you take TC away we are going to struggle.

Not enough open looks. Most games he was taking 3s off the curl which is a pretty low percentage shot. The more I watch these other games, the sharpshooters like Stauskas, Heslip etc. get several transition open looks each game. This gets them into rhythm and able to get hot.

3. This was not a good passing team. Our team success is usually predicated on the number of assisted baskets pergame we have. I think last year we averaged like 15 assists per game. This year we had numerous games at the end of the year where we had less than 10. Part of it is pace of play but part of it isnt. You can,t get open looks if you dont move the ball.

I really think TC will end up as the second best 3 point shooter of all time by any metric (volume, %). Not sure why all the hate because he is more than that but even with just that we are lucky to have him.

Same as the staff. A kid that will out work everyone to improve his weaknesses.
Working hard is great and is critical in improving regardless of your line of work or passion. At the same time hard work doesnt always cut it. Hunters have a saying " good dog cant hunt". There is no doubt that TC is a good dog. It remains to be seen if he will ever hunt. Lets hope that he continues to work hard and that all of that hard work finally translates into game performance.

Guess I'm going to have to be a big fan of both the Michigan schools on Sunday. Louisville had that game until Russdiculous decided to show up. As much as I hate UK, I have to give the young pups their props. In both the last two games in crunch time, they have played smart and knocked down clutch shots. Hopefully that comes to an end on Sunday.
I will puke twice, one for each of and UK if they win their next game. Can't stand either team to win this.

I have read this entire thread and many more on the main basketball board and unless I have missed it somewhere, I have not seen anyone discuss the lack of post production hurting our shooting percentage from deep. I don't know if the bigs we had are just not good passers or I they are ball hogs, but one of the reasons Andy was so good was getting kick outs from the post. Andy definitely hit shots off screens like Trevor shot all year, but it is very hard for me to remember many instances where the ball went from the post back out to Trevor. I feel this is what kills us when we play teams like Pitt and Louisville because they do this to perfection. If a shooter like Mike Marra (the kid from UL that careered it against us that day in the dome) can hit shots like that, Trevor can.

I think the main problem with this thought (and I completely agree with the idea behind it) is that we just didn't give many touches to the big men in the first place. Think about the only times you saw BMK with the ball this year. Always at the top of the key, never in the post. After the first couple games everyone knew the only place he was going to pass was back to Ennis or to a cutting Cooney under the basket (which worked in about 3 games and was shut down forever after that). Rarely would you see a big get the ball in the low post, and Rak actually did make a couple great passes from there to Cooney opposite for a three. But most of the time Rak would try to score. We almost never set Grant up underneath (despite how effective he could be - see the end of the Duke game) and if he did get the ball it almost never went opposite.

But you and Ryan are right, more balance will help the offense flow again. I hope we can find it.

You know what I realized today. Scottie Wilbekin was a two star recruit. Russ Smith was a three star recruit. Both are Seniors. Watching Wilbekin play today was fun. Meh is such a good player. He's totally in control. Funny a guy like him isn't coveted in the NBA while a guy like Ennis is. Wilbekin was the better player this year.

What was the story with Monte Morris?
Back in 2011 before Ennis was even being recruited by the staff, Morris came to the SU Elite Camp expecting to receive an offer and then committing shortly after. Morris leaves the Elite Camp with no offer and the rest was history. A Morris commitment wouldn't have scared off Ennis, but maybe at that time JB didn't think Morris was good enough to play at SU.:noidea:

Screw both Michigan schools. Lets go Gators and Badgers.:)

If either Yukon or UK wins the chip. Then I'm banning myself from the board for one month lol real talk.

I'm boycotting the main board because I know I'll probably get banned for responding to some of the nonsense I've seen recently. So I decided to share some thoughts here where some of my favorite posters come along to drop some reasonable knowledge. You guys might disagree with some thoughts but it's always fun and interesting to share different views.

1)I was spoiled into thinking we could always have kids like MCW sitting on our bench because we would always be loaded with talent at the guard position. Fact is that the lack of combo guard depth has killed us for the last two years. Which imho is inexcusable for a program like SU. Missing out on Sheed Jordan aka Black Jesus and turning down Monte Morris hurt us. 5th years such my guy DeAndre Kane and even Antonio Barton would've been worthwhile gambles as well. All four players would've blended well with Tyler but hey that's life. I'm sure the staff expected Silent G to be better overall.

2)I root for the jersey and I'm no homer or hater to any player but imho moving forward I would prefer to see Cooney coming off the bench. Obviously that will depend on the development of our returning players like Buss, Silent G, and BJ. I feel Cooney's best role is to be the sharp shooter off the bench and provide a spark if he's on the money, because as a starter he just doesn't provide much if his threes aren't falling. I know he has a lot of defenders who think he can do no wrong but I have to keep it real on here. He has two more years left, so hopefully he can turn it around.

3)When it comes to recruiting I think the staff is already acknowledging the flaws of having the lack of combo guards and shooters. Which is why I'm glad we have locked down shooters like Richardson and Lydon. Plus if we can land a guard in 2015 such as Howard or Briscoe, then you're talking about adding another combo with size that can make an impact on both ends. Plus in 2016 we're in good shape with Battle, who could possibly reclassify to 2015.

4)If Ennis is gone then I think it's important to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO guard to help out Joseph. I think Joseph could be better than most expect and the transition/face pace style should return, but I think it would be unfair to rely on another freshman to carry the heavy load once again. For as good as Tyler was, the season still ended in a second round exit so guard depth is still important.

5)As mentioned in another thread. Give me Bryant over Diagne if we had to choose one. One thing that this team lacked was an alpha-dog. Give me one player who is an animal that will rub off that vibe on his teammates. BMK strikes me as having that personality but unfortunately he just never had the talent/skills to be anymore than a hustle player.

6)It would be criminal if Grant leaves because he has so much to work on but if that happens then I think the wing trio of Roberson, CMac, and BJ is good enough to make due next season. I really expect to see a big sophomore leap from Roberson. BJ should work his behind off and become better and McCullough will have flashes here n there of what he can be when he puts it all together but I don't think we'll see all of that in year one.

7)I think Tyler should come back because I don't see how he's ready physically for the Association, but I think from his point of view a top 15 pick at this point might be too hard to pass up. So until he says he's returning I'll just say he's gone. It'll suck to see him go but we have seen much better players leave and we've been alright after.

8)Weird season this was. Went from one of my favorite teams to watch since the 09/10 squad to my most dislike since the Donte Greene squad back in 07/08.

9)I'll say this that JB has always done his best work when expectations are low. So even if Ennis and Grant are gone then I wouldn't on the team right away until we see how the roster shapes up for the fall. Depending on who returns, player development, and any additional players that we add, who knows how next season will play out. After losing Jonny/Devo/Paul, I never thought that we would have a team that could possibly win a chip before Arinze got hurt the following season.

10)With the teams left in the sweet 16, who are you guys cool with winning a chip? As long as it's not UK and Yukon I'm good with whoever wins it.:)
BJ started working out on Sunday the day after the lost.

Don't see UConn beating Florida, but I also didn't see them beating MSU, but MSU had no one to match up with Napier/Boatright

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom