Thrifty Yanks have tough decisions ahead | Syracusefan.com

Thrifty Yanks have tough decisions ahead

They need a major overhaul. What seemed like an embarrassment of starting pitchers going into 2012 is a glaring need now. They made a dumb move in letter Mo's successor get away. They are letting the wrong guys go.

I love Cano, but the mega contracts never work in baseball. I think the first decision is to let him go.

Soriano walked away from a $14 million option because he refused to be a set up man for one more year.

He got a two year $28 million deal to be the closer in Washington.

They need a major overhaul. What seemed like an embarrassment of starting pitchers going into 2012 is a glaring need now. They made a dumb move in letter Mo's successor get away. They are letting the wrong guys go.

You can always find another closer though. They were overpaying Soriano to be a setup guy, but as an insurance policy it ended up working out well. No disrespect to Mo, who's the greatest to ever do this, but sometimes closers can emerge out of nowhere. Wasn't Jason Grilli doing a great job closing for Pittsburgh? After spending so much time as a journeyman.

Cano is going to be the tough one. He's the only guy on the team who basically played all season long, and he was the only bat they could count on at times. But he'll also be 31 when next season starts, and the Yankees contracts of 8 years or more haven't exactly been working out. I hate the idea of giving anyone more than 5 years these days.

They are praying so much that ARod gets suspended that even God himself is sick of hearing about it.

But he'll also be 31 when next season starts, and the Yankees contracts of 8 years or more haven't exactly been working out

It ain't just the Yankees. Long term deals to guys over 30 almost never work out. But i bet the Yankees still sign him to one

In fairness, Matt, turns out that they did have an 'embarrassment of starting pitchers'.

Who's their ace? Is it Nova? Only 132 innings and a high WHIP when contrasted with his ERA. Kuroda? He'll be 39 next year. Sabathia no longer looks like an ace, or anything close to it. A mid-rotation innings eater, at best. If Pineda can come back and somehow resemble the guy the Yanks thought they 'stole' some 3 or 4 years ago, they might cobble together a league average rotation. And none of those guys consistently go deep into games, so they're gonna need to put a solid bullpen together.

And maybe next year's offense will be better...but they'd have to sign Cano to a long-term extension to reasonably expect it.

Question: Are the Yanks already planning to forego high $$ FA's? If so, next year doesn't look great either.

You can always find another closer though. They were overpaying Soriano to be a setup guy, but as an insurance policy it ended up working out well. No disrespect to Mo, who's the greatest to ever do this, but sometimes closers can emerge out of nowhere. Wasn't Jason Grilli doing a great job closing for Pittsburgh? After spending so much time as a journeyman.

Cano is going to be the tough one. He's the only guy on the team who basically played all season long, and he was the only bat they could count on at times. But he'll also be 31 when next season starts, and the Yankees contracts of 8 years or more haven't exactly been working out. I hate the idea of giving anyone more than 5 years these days.

They are praying so much that ARod gets suspended that even God himself is sick of hearing about it.

I just read that Cano is looking for 10 years and $305M, so we can forget about him returning, it appears. Yanks would have to be stupid to do another deal like that.

In fairness, Matt, turns out that they did have an 'embarrassment of starting pitchers'.

Who's their ace? Is it Nova? Only 132 innings and a high WHIP when contrasted with his ERA. Kuroda? He'll be 39 next year. Sabathia no longer looks like an ace, or anything close to it. A mid-rotation innings eater, at best. If Pineda can come back and somehow resemble the guy the Yanks thought they 'stole' some 3 or 4 years ago, they might cobble together a league average rotation. And none of those guys consistently go deep into games, so they're gonna need to put a solid bullpen together.

And maybe next year's offense will be better...but they'd have to sign Cano to a long-term extension to reasonably expect it.

Question: Are the Yanks already planning to forego high $$ FA's? If so, next year doesn't look great either.

I'm wondering if the Steinbrenners are getting ready to sell the team. It's going to be awfully hard to justify those ticket prices as the squad turns into a non-contender.

I just read that Cano is looking for 10 years and $305M, so we can forget about him returning, it appears. Yanks would have to be stupid to do another deal like that.

Just cause he is looking for that doesn't mean anyone has to offer it to him.

If he gets $300 million, I don't even know what to say. Not happening.

Of course, the Yankees gave a 32 year old A-Rod 10/275 6 years ago. IF that was fair (it wasn't) then 10/305 is probably fair for Cano

Just cause he is looking for that doesn't mean anyone has to offer it to him.

If he gets $300 million, I don't even know what to say. Not happening.

Of course, the Yankees gave a 32 year old A-Rod 10/275 6 years ago. IF that was fair (it wasn't) then 10/305 is probably fair for Cano

I think they're a lot smarter than that now.

Yeah I don't think Cano is getting an A-Rod contract from anyone. I can see him trying to use that in a negotiation though.

Yanks offered Cano 7 years $170 mil at the beginning of the season. Cano's agent refused.

Both sides won't have anymore contact until the season is finally over.

If that is true, he's effectively eliminating every team but the Dodgers. The Yankees aren't going there, and there's no way the Angels would after Pujols and Hamilton.

Gee, imagine a line up of a healthy Brian Roberts (DH) (fingers crossed), Nick Markakus, a healthy Manny Machado (fingers double crossed) Cano, Chris Davis, Adam Jones, Matt Weiters, AJ Hardy and Nate McCLouth.
Actually, money will be better spent on pitching and quality depth. Sigh!

I doubt the Angels will get involved given their backloaded terrible deals (and that Trout will have a payday coming). Pujols deal handcuffs them.

Boston is out, 2B is covered.

So who does that leave? Cubs? Cardinals? And of course, the LA Dodgers.

10 years, $305M will likely leave the Dodgers negotiating with themselves.

No more 8+ year deals.

I don't know why any team would commit to these long term deals. Look at Pujols and Hamilton for the Angels. Look at Arod and even Teixiera . If I was a GM I am not sure I would give anyone more than a 5 yr. deal. Baseball salaries are outrageous. What I don't understand is why the Yankees farm system is so pathetic. It has got to be a reflection of Cashman's ability as a GM.

10/305 - I would laugh at him...repeatedly...and when I was done laughing I would point at him and laugh some more. And I love Cano. Buh-Bye - I wouldn't even try to sign him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom