Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
13094929-mmmain.jpg

Adonis Ameen-Moore refocused after enduring 'rocky' 2012 season

Syracuse tight end Beckett Wales not practicing, other notes and observations from Fort Drum

Wales sidelined for 2nd day of practice at Fort Drum

Syracuse offensive line bigger than last year but among smallest in ...

SU Football Team Deploys To Fort Drum

Syracuse cheerleaders, band get new uniforms: Are Orange football and basketball teams next?

-0eda0bb8ea5f96b9.jpg

Macky MacPherson follows grandfather, Dick, as leader of Syracuse football team

Photos

SU Football Players Compete in Leadership Drills at Fort Drum

Photo gallery: Syracuse football players work on team-building at Fort Drum

Videos

The Syracuse Orange football team takes part in drills at Fort Drum

Video: Syracuse football players complete Army small unit ...

Video: Jeremi Wilkes, Ivan Foy lead blindfolded trust exercise at Fort ...

Dan Tortora with Syracuse Orange LB Josh Kirkland

Syracuse Orange QB turned WR John Kinder (Video by Dan Tortora)

Dan Tortora with Tim Daoust, Syracuse Orange Asst Head Coach

Recruiting

North Miami Beach WR/DB Steven Ishmael at media day

Miramar DB Andre Godfrey at media day

Former Players

Shamarko Thomas' Maturity Jump-Starts His Career In The ...

LeBeau on Thomas

Donovan McNabb responds harshly to RG3 saying it 'was best they ...

Donovan McNabb: RG3 'getting brainwashed' by Redskins

bilde

Delone Carter of the Colts, smiles after making a reception during Colts practice, Anderson University, Anderson, Tuesday, August 13. 2013. Robert Scheer/The Star

YSU's Wolford Reacts to Peterman Arrest

YSU football player arrested on warrants

YSU defensive back arrested on 2012 warrant

Giants' Pugh excited for delayed NFL debut

Gregory had a pass breakup and a near int in practice

ACC

ACC Atlantic Coast Conference football to air on WBBZ-TV

VPI a year away

ACC preview: Is Clemson the team to beat?

Savage wins Pitt's starting quarterback job

Virginia Tech, Penn State set 2022-23 series

Video: Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech: ACC Top 25 Players to Watch

Video: Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State: ACC Top 25 Players to Watch

Video: David Watford Named Virginia's Starting QB - ACC NOW

Nation

Patrick Stevens' preseason college football rankings, Nos. 86-90

Clowney will play opener vs. North Carolina

SEC, Big Ten won't license trademarks to EA

BCS standout games and moments

Transfer

Ex-Arkansas WR McKay to transfer to Cincy

High School

As football season draws closer, concussion safety is on the minds ...

NFL

13245879-mmmain.jpg

NFL suspends former Corcoran star Jo-Lonn Dunbar for violating PED policy

Blog

The Syracuse Orange 2013 College Football Preview

Great profile of Macky. I will say again that the syracuse.com folks have done well with these profiles. Nice to get a bit more insight into the players. Hope they continue this throughout the year.

On another note, is the new Sr. Exec. Assoc AD a former govt employee? Every quote seems to be of the "we are looking at all options" kind. FB is less than 2 weeks away- there are either new uniforms, no new uniforms, or "stay tuned for a surprise".

if you look at the pic's from a few days ago you can see wales with a Pad on one calf even then in the FG drills

Comments:

Just got through re-watching AAM's high school highlights...wow. What a combination of read, speed and power. I can't for the life of me understand why a kid this talented would handicap himself by coming in overweight and out of shape. Moore had an opportunity to hit the field running . In the meantime, other players out worked him and the guy they called the mini bus in practice, literally went to the back of the big bus. AAM has only himself to blame for the situations he got into. The only thing he can do is bust his butt, play by the rules and his time to shine will come. Adonis, we all believe in you, so don't get down. Keep working hard on the field and in the classroom. Don't ever again handicap your future, fly straight and stay true to your goals and you will make it in football and life. Make yourself, your real and extended families proud!

The offensive line is only notably shorter and smaller than 4 of it's ACC opponents. As long as they are nasty, hard nosed and hard working they should be fine. It's the size and speed of the ACC defenses that is more of a concern, I would like to see those numbers.

This is SU's second year going to Ft. Drum. Last season, after starting 2-4, some of the team building learned from our military helped keep them focused. The change of scenery keeps things interesting for the players and coaches and opens their eyes to realities beyond the football field.

Seeing young men their own age training for the serious job of defending our country can only serve to keep football in perspective. I hope Ft Drum adopts us as their college team and that many of our warriors get to attend games at the Dome where we can all show them our appreciation for their service.

The new cheerleading uniforms proudly shout to the world we are "Syracuse". All I can say ladies is sit ups and pushups. Anyone care to venture guesses as to what Nike will come up with for the football team? What would you like to see, something traditional or gimmicky?

Six years ago I met Macky by chance at Green Lakes golf course. He and his brother Cameron asked If I'd care to join them. We played the remaining holes together and after a bit I learned these polite kids were the grandsons of one of our most beloved coaches.

After learning MacPherson had committed to Syracuse, I watched CBA every time their games were televised. His shot gun snaps were delivered precisely 99.9% of the time, I couldn't wait to see him perform in an Orange uniform. The year before he got here our offense was limited because we had to throw out the shotgun as we didn't have a snapper as good as this high school kid.

Ran into Mackey last year in the Carrier Dome at halftime after he and some other players appeared with the Pin Stripe Bowl trophy. Macky remembered me and the time we played golf. He was the same polite, friendly kid I had met all those years before. I, for one, am very happy with the success this "undersized" center has had. He has proven his critics wrong through sheer hard work and determination. Coach Mac II? It could happen down the road, the kid's a real leader and not a Rudy as some believed him to be.

Donovan McNabb has turned into a quote machine. I don't remember him being that way when he was here. Many wish he would stop getting into these useless debates and become the positive guy we remember during his years here and on that 96 NCAA finals team.

A lot of us wasted time on Dale Peterman, a kid who can't seem to stay out of trouble. Too bad.

The profile pieces that the writers at the PS have done have been good to very good. The Macky piece was one of the better ones.

Still does not absolve them (most notably Cohen) of the shenanigans they have pulled. But it does show that they have the ability to write in complete sentences and put a couple paragraphs together that make sense (more than can be said for a few others in their position in the past).

Thinking about it more, I don't necessarily put all of the blame a 23-year old kid who is in his first professional job. How many mistakes did I make in my first job or two? A lot. But I wasn't scrutinized by the public. And I also had a boss who was able to guide me.

Which brings me to a question: Where is the sports editor at the PS? Does one exist? Is he/she telling Cohen what he needs to hear in all of this? I guess we will see in the near and far future - or as long as he's at the PS.