Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

Syracuse Formally Announces Home and Home Series with SEC Power LSU (PS; Poliquin)

..."I've got signed contracts with the date all set," insisted Herman Frazier, SU's deputy athletics director, on Wednesday afternoon. "It is a done deal. The LSU game will definitely be played in the Carrier Dome in 2015. You have my oath on that."...

14714211-mmmain.jpg

Charley Loeb and Scott Shafer

Video: Syracuse Reveals New Nike Uniforms for 2014 Season (PS; Mink)

They filed into the players' lounge inside the football wing of Manley Field House, dozens of Syracuse football players arriving for a 4 p.m. team meeting to get their first look at the new uniforms for the upcoming season.

Out walked linebackers Cam Lynch, Dyshawn Davis and quarterback Terrel Hunt, each in a different uniform. All three were among the players and staff that met with Nike last summer to discuss design concepts for the new look that is unlike any uniform that came before it...

-4c2bffecc46e08a5.jpg

SU Recruits on New Uniforms: Too Smooth (syracuse.com)

Adly Enoicy: "Think that there's always room for change and improvements, and these new uniforms are an example of one. I see these uniforms as a start to a new beginning, one to be remembered as we incoming freshmen plan to make a statement and change to the game, along with the returning players wanting to outdo their performances the prior year."

Rodney Williams: "I like the meaning behind the designs as well as the phrases/words, and the combinations that can be put together excite me. But I just can't wait to play football."

Juwan Dowels: "The uniforms stand for a fresh start!"

Aaron Roberts: "I love 'em. I like the 44 aspect of them. The helmets are really nice. I like they are modernizing the tradition of Syracuse."

Denzel Ward: "I love them. The white ones are the best ones to me, then the gray ones. Can't wait to get mine on."

Four Cool Things About the New Syracuse Football Uniforms (PS; Mink)

1. New orange tops and pants are coming, too

This might have gotten lost in the shuffle, but Syracuse did promise orange tops and pants will be revealed at a later date.

It will be used as a team motivator. Like the gray alternate, you never know when you might see it — maybe when the defending national champs come to the Dome in October.

You can see a mock up of the orange look on Cuse.com.

2. Slogans on the inside of the back collar
The program has a creed, and that is the word "discipline," an acronym with various mantras representing each letter. The word is written on the inside of the road white uniform.

Written on the inside of the home blue uniform is the phrase "lock the gate," a nod to Shafer's introductory press conference in 2013 when he referred to "a Dome that shakes and intimidates. And when we get the opposition in the Loud House, we lock the doors behind them and we don't let them out for 60 minutes or more, whatever it takes."

NCAA Institutes 'Tom Brady Rule' to Protect QBs from Low Hits While Throwing (PS; Carlson)

It was likely lost in the frenzy over Syracuse's new uniforms and the debate over platinum as a primary color, but the NCAA passed a new rule Wednesday that will further protect quarterbacks.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel voted to extend the definition of roughing the passer to include hits below the knee when a defender is unabated to the quarterback. It also forbids players from rolling or lunging into the quarterbacks' legs.

The rule is in effect only when a quarterback is in a throwing posture. Quarterbacks can be hit below the knee when they are scrambling, when a defender is blocked into the quarterback or if the defender appears to be trying to wrap up the quarterback for a "conventional tackle."

The rule closely resembles the current roughing the passer rule used in the NFL. That rule was modified in 2009 after quarterback Tom Brady was injured by a low hit from Bernard Pollard in a game against the Kansas City Chiefs...

Syracuse's Self Appointed Fashion Maven Weighs In with His Opinion on the New Uniforms (PS; Poliquin)

It's official, folks. The Orange, in an acknowledged attempt to woo more of that high-school prime dazzled by kaleidoscopic threads, is playing keep-up-with-the-Joneses … or in this case, the Ducks. The head-turning Oregon Ducks who seem to have been rainbows in their previous lives. And it's doing just fine.

SU Football May Need Frosh DBs to Contribute This Fall (PS; Mink)

The defensive back numbers going into Saturday's scrimmage are not ideal. It has been that way most of the spring for secondary coach Fred Reed.

One starter, all-ACC safety Durell Eskridge, has been held out of contact all spring while he recovers from a hip and finger injury. Another, cornerback Brandon Reddish, likely won't be a big part of Saturday's game either.

"I don't anticipate (Reddish) doing anything," Reed said following Tuesday's practice. "The most important thing right now is getting him to full strength going into the fall."

The same can be said others in the unit, too. But even with a healthy lineup, Syracuse doesn't have much wiggle room with experienced back-ups. For that reason, it's important the six defensive backs expected to start practicing with the team in August enter the preseason ready to help (the seventh, Lamar Dawson, has said he expects to delay his enrollment following a health scare). In fact, that's the message Reed has relayed to them in recent weeks...

Recruiting

image.jpg

Tyrone Plays Basketball Too

Tyrone Perkins

Tyrone Perkins First Verbal in 2015 Recruiting Class (PS; Mink)

Consider this the cherry on top of what has been an eventful day for Syracuse football.

The Orange received its first verbal commitment for the 2015 recruiting class on Wednesday night, and like last year, it comes from a prospect in its home state.

That would be Tyrone Perkins, a running back from Locust Valley (N.Y.) Friends Academy. CuseNation.com, a Syracuse football recruiting website, first reported the news, which came on the same day Syracuse unveiled new uniforms and announced a home-and-home series with LSU starting in 2015 at the Carrier Dome.

Perkins was not ranked by any of the major recruiting services at the time of his commitment, so it's unknown what other schools showed interest in him.

Late Wednesday, 247Sports' national recruiting director JC Shurburtt rated Perkins as a high three-star prospect...

Long Island RB Tyrone Perkins Becomes 1st Member of Class of 2015 (DO; Dougherty)

Running back Tyrone Perkins verbally committed to Syracuse on Wednesday night, becoming the first player to join the Orange’s Class of 2015, according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site..

Perkins is finishing his junior year at Friends Academy in Locust Valley, N.Y., and is listed at 6 feet and 190 pounds by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. He’s not rated or ranked by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., but the site does list his 40-yard dash time at 4.50.

In a highlight tape posted five months ago at the conclusion of his junior season, Perkins displays an ability to get around the edge and shake defenders with strength and athleticism. The video lists him as a team captain with 91 rushes for 1,029 yards and 24 touchdowns on the season.

Perkins is set to join Syracuse in 2015, following 2014 running back commits Naesean Howard (three stars) and Ervin Phillips (two stars).

Last edited:
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.
News

Syracuse Formally Announces Home and Home Series with SEC Power LSU (PS; Poliquin)

..."I've got signed contracts with the date all set," insisted Herman Frazier, SU's deputy athletics director, on Wednesday afternoon. "It is a done deal. The LSU game will definitely be played in the Carrier Dome in 2015. You have my oath on that."...

14714211-mmmain.jpg
I'd like these inis far more if there was an actual#44 i sued to a worthy running back. Its my feeling that if its ever used again it should be a RB who wears it. The great 44s were the greatest RBs that Syracuse university ever had in its history of football. It should be used as a recruiting tool that is shown all the positive things that can happen after putting that jersey on and showing off their ability on the field Magazine covers features before the game on the broadcast network not to mention the attention of the pro scouts looking for the next big thing for their team.
Charley Loeb and Scott Shafer

Video: Syracuse Reveals New Nike Uniforms for 2014 Season (PS; Mink)

They filed into the players' lounge inside the football wing of Manley Field House, dozens of Syracuse football players arriving for a 4 p.m. team meeting to get their first look at the new uniforms for the upcoming season.

Out walked linebackers Cam Lynch, Dyshawn Davis and quarterback Terrel Hunt, each in a different uniform. All three were among the players and staff that met with Nike last summer to discuss design concepts for the new look that is unlike any uniform that came before it...

-4c2bffecc46e08a5.jpg

SU Recruits on New Uniforms: Too Smooth (syracuse.com)

Adly Enoicy: "Think that there's always room for change and improvements, and these new uniforms are an example of one. I see these uniforms as a start to a new beginning, one to be remembered as we incoming freshmen plan to make a statement and change to the game, along with the returning players wanting to outdo their performances the prior year."

Rodney Williams: "I like the meaning behind the designs as well as the phrases/words, and the combinations that can be put together excite me. But I just can't wait to play football."

Juwan Dowels: "The uniforms stand for a fresh start!"

Aaron Roberts: "I love 'em. I like the 44 aspect of them. The helmets are really nice. I like they are modernizing the tradition of Syracuse."

Denzel Ward: "I love them. The white ones are the best ones to me, then the gray ones. Can't wait to get mine on."

Four Cool Things About the New Syracuse Football Uniforms (PS; Mink)

1. New orange tops and pants are coming, too

This might have gotten lost in the shuffle, but Syracuse did promise orange tops and pants will be revealed at a later date.

It will be used as a team motivator. Like the gray alternate, you never know when you might see it — maybe when the defending national champs come to the Dome in October.

You can see a mock up of the orange look on Cuse.com.

2. Slogans on the inside of the back collar
The program has a creed, and that is the word "discipline," an acronym with various mantras representing each letter. The word is written on the inside of the road white uniform.

Written on the inside of the home blue uniform is the phrase "lock the gate," a nod to Shafer's introductory press conference in 2013 when he referred to "a Dome that shakes and intimidates. And when we get the opposition in the Loud House, we lock the doors behind them and we don't let them out for 60 minutes or more, whatever it takes."

NCAA Institutes 'Tom Brady Rule' to Protect QBs from Low Hits While Throwing (PS; Carlson)

It was likely lost in the frenzy over Syracuse's new uniforms and the debate over platinum as a primary color, but the NCAA passed a new rule Wednesday that will further protect quarterbacks.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel voted to extend the definition of roughing the passer to include hits below the knee when a defender is unabated to the quarterback. It also forbids players from rolling or lunging into the quarterbacks' legs.

The rule is in effect only when a quarterback is in a throwing posture. Quarterbacks can be hit below the knee when they are scrambling, when a defender is blocked into the quarterback or if the defender appears to be trying to wrap up the quarterback for a "conventional tackle."

The rule closely resembles the current roughing the passer rule used in the NFL. That rule was modified in 2009 after quarterback Tom Brady was injured by a low hit from Bernard Pollard in a game against the Kansas City Chiefs...

Syracuse's Self Appointed Fashion Maven Weighs In with His Opinion on the New Uniforms (PS; Poliquin)

It's official, folks. The Orange, in an acknowledged attempt to woo more of that high-school prime dazzled by kaleidoscopic threads, is playing keep-up-with-the-Joneses … or in this case, the Ducks. The head-turning Oregon Ducks who seem to have been rainbows in their previous lives. And it's doing just fine.

SU Football May Need Frosh DBs to Contribute This Fall (PS; Mink)

The defensive back numbers going into Saturday's scrimmage are not ideal. It has been that way most of the spring for secondary coach Fred Reed.

One starter, all-ACC safety Durell Eskridge, has been held out of contact all spring while he recovers from a hip and finger injury. Another, cornerback Brandon Reddish, likely won't be a big part of Saturday's game either.

"I don't anticipate (Reddish) doing anything," Reed said following Tuesday's practice. "The most important thing right now is getting him to full strength going into the fall."

The same can be said others in the unit, too. But even with a healthy lineup, Syracuse doesn't have much wiggle room with experienced back-ups. For that reason, it's important the six defensive backs expected to start practicing with the team in August enter the preseason ready to help (the seventh, Lamar Dawson, has said he expects to delay his enrollment following a health scare). In fact, that's the message Reed has relayed to them in recent weeks...

Recruiting

image.jpg

Tyrone Plays Basketball Too

Tyrone Perkins

Tyrone Perkins First Verbal in 2015 Recruiting Class (PS; Mink)

Consider this the cherry on top of what has been an eventful day for Syracuse football.

The Orange received its first verbal commitment for the 2015 recruiting class on Wednesday night, and like last year, it comes from a prospect in its home state.

That would be Tyrone Perkins, a running back from Locust Valley (N.Y.) Friends Academy. CuseNation.com, a Syracuse football recruiting website, first reported the news, which came on the same day Syracuse unveiled new uniforms and announced a home-and-home series with LSU starting in 2015 at the Carrier Dome.

Perkins was not ranked by any of the major recruiting services at the time of his commitment, so it's unknown what other schools showed interest in him.

Late Wednesday, ' national recruiting director JC Shurburtt rated Perkins as a high three-star prospect...

Long Island RB Tyrone Perkins Becomes 1st Member of Class of 2015 (DO; Dougherty)

Running back Tyrone Perkins verbally committed to Syracuse on Wednesday night, becoming the first player to join the Orange’s Class of 2015, according to .

Perkins is finishing his junior year at Friends Academy in Locust Valley, N.Y., and is listed at 6 feet and 190 pounds by . He’s not rated or ranked by , but the site does list his 40-yard dash time at 4.50.

In a highlight tape posted five months ago at the conclusion of his junior season, Perkins displays an ability to get around the edge and shake defenders with strength and athleticism. The video lists him as a team captain with 91 rushes for 1,029 yards and 24 touchdowns on the season.

Perkins is set to join Syracuse in 2015, following 2014 running back commits Naesean Howard (three stars) and Ervin Phillips (two stars).