Thursday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Thursday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am filling in temporarily for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

OL Chandler Jones to Choose UL or Syracuse 7 PM Friday (Courier-Journal; Jones)

The Louisville and Syracuse football teams are the finalists for three-star Atlanta-area junior offensive guard Chandler Jones, who plans to announce his college decision on Twitter at 7 p.m. Friday.

chandlerJones @CJ72_TSP
Follow

Prayed about it talk to my parents and bros im ready I will be committing on friday at 7pm stay tuned

8:31 PM - 23 Apr 2014

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Jones said he has made up his mind but is yet to inform the Cardinals or the Orange where he's headed.

20130921_lbm_bk3_344.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Scott Shafer Shares His Thoughts on SU Spring Practice/Assessments and Player Development (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Scott Shafer jumped on the post-spring ACC football coaches teleconference today to talk all things Syracuse Orange football. Aside from his mention that kicker Ryan Norton has been suspended from the squad, here's what else he had to say...

On the biggest strengths he sees about SU going into the summer.
Well, you know, I think I kind of like this linebacker outfit. We lost a good player in Marquis Spruill, but I like the leadership and the work ethic out of that group. Dyshawn Davis has done a nice job along with Cam Lynch leading that group. I like our discipline. I like the development of Marqez Hodge in the middle. Looking forward to getting Luke Arciniega back. He's out with some lower body injuries, but he's doing a lot better. So I would say that linebacker crew would be the starting point.

And then on the offensive side of the ball, I really like the way our offensive wide receiver group competed, not necessarily saying their ability level is superior to a lot of people that we play, but their work ethic was really good, and I think that's a great place to start. So those two areas probably would be the ones that jump out at me right now.

-54d7772a4e810f66.JPG

Jay Bromley (96)

ESPN Draft Guru Mel Kiper Has Jay Bromley in the 3rd or 4th Round (PS; Mink)

There is not as much buzz surrounding the Syracuse football draft class as there was this time a year ago when the school had a pair of possible first-round picks in quarterback Ryan Nassib and offensive lineman Justin Pugh.

But ESPN's renowned draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. slightly changed that narrative Wednesday when he projected out Syracuse's top draft prospects.

Previously, most prognostications placed Syracuse's best draft-eligible prospects near the end of the draft. Kiper, speaking with reporters on a 90-minute teleconference Wednesday, believes defensive tackle Jay Bromley could hear his name called in the third or fourth round.

"Bromley, I think to me, is a guy that starts to really come together as a football player," Kiper said. "I have Bromley right now at No. 9 (among defensive tackles) which puts him in a third- or fourth-round category because I don't think a lot of these defensive tackles are going to go."

SU Kicker Ryan Norton Suspended for Violating Team Rules (TNIAAM; Farrell)

In Saturday's Spring Game, it was Alex Hodgkinson – not Ryan Norton – who handled the kicking duties. During the ACC coaches' teleconference, Scott Shafer explained why. Norton has been suspended again after breaking team rules.

"I had to suspend Ryan from the team for a little bit," Shafer said. "I’m looking forward to his return at the beginning of the summer. He violated some team rules and he’s done a nice job taking ownership."

It is Norton's second suspension in a five-month span. He was inactive for Syracuse's win against Wake Forest, following charges of resisting arrest and underage drinking.

20121112_kkt_bk3_267.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Keon Lyn

The Tao of Keon Lyn (TNIIAM; Keeley)

Former Syracuse Orange cornerback Keon Lyn has made it this far, so he's not going to let something like an injury end his journey just yet.

Lyn is holding a private workout at SU next week, hosting various scouts and NFL folks so they can see what he can do. He lost the end of his senior season to a knee injury and wasn't ready in time to participate in Pro Day. Lyn has already met with the Oakland Raiders, Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions, though he won't say exactly who is attending the workout.

ACC News

ACC Coaches Want to Keep 8 Game Conference Schedule (ESPN; Dinich)

ACC coaches are in favor of sticking with an eight-game league schedule as the conference prepares to again debate an eight- or nine-game format at next month's spring meetings in Amelia Island, Fla., according to Duke coach David Cutcliffe, who is chair of the ACC coaches' committee.

The coaches and athletic directors will meet May 12-15, and the future schedule is a high on the agenda and could come to a vote. In fact, many within the conference are hoping it does, as it has been discussed for years. The ADs have the final vote, and the coaches have been overruled in the past on this issue. In May 2012, the ADs voted in favor of a nine-game schedule only to revert to eight games after announcing a partnership with Notre Dame.

UL Re-Adjusting to Petrino As It Enters New Conference (PS; Stevens)

Louisville enters a new conference this fall that is already somewhat familiar because of its Big East ties to Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

It also is adjusting to a new coach that Cardinals fans already know plenty about.

Bobby Petrino is back at Louisville, and just as the well-traveled coach helped the Cardinals make the leap from Conference USA to the Big East almost a decade ago, he's doing the same as the school makes another conference transition.

And in some ways, the scenario he faces isn't all that much different. Louisville was already a solid program when he arrived the first time and proceeded to go 41-9 over four seasons from 2003 to 2006. The Cardinals were 23-3 the last two years under Charlie Strong, who left to replace Mack Brown at Texas in January.

Duke Likely to Use Multiple QBs Despite Connette's Departure (PS; Stevens)

A multi-quarterback system doesn't always work. Duke, though, made the most of playing both Anthony Boone and Brandon Connette a season ago as it claimed the ACC's Coastal Division.

Boone was the starter, but Connette played a notable role in goal-line situations. He rushed for 14 touchdowns — half of Duke's entire team total — and was a vital part of Blue Devils' success.

However, Connette announced after Duke completed spring practice last month he would transfer for his final season to be closer to his ailing mother in California. For Boone, his role remains the same as he heads into his senior season.

Still, expect to see someone else at quarterback in spots. It's just coach David Cutcliffe's way.

"I'm serious about finding our younger quarterbacks some meaningful snaps," Cutcliffe said. "I did it at Ole Miss (as a head coach), I did it at Tennessee (as an offensive coordinator). I've always tried to stay aware of that depth."

14763145-mmmain.jpg

Cole Stoudt

Cole Stoudt Takes Over for Boyd at QB for Clemson (PS; Stevens)

The ACC witnessed an exodus of multi-year starting quarterbacks after last season, from Stephen Morris at Miami to Logan Thomas at Virginia Tech to Chase Rettig at Boston College.

Even conference newcomer Louisville has to replace mainstay Teddy Bridgewater.

The biggest departure of all, though, is arguably Clemson's Tajh Boyd. After all, he did set an ACC record for career touchdown passes and lead the Tigers to three consecutive 10-wins seasons.

It's why one of the conference's most scrutinized players heading into the season will be senior Cole Stoudt, the man who will serve as Boyd's immediate successor.

He's not a completely unknown commodity, throwing for 742 yards, eight touchdowns and one interception in 119 career attempts while backing up Boyd. And that provides some assurance to Tigers coach Dabo Swinney, whose team should again be among the best in the league.

Ex-BC TE Charged With Beating Homeless Man (AP)

Two former college football players who went to high school together were charged with beating up a homeless man.

Craig Parsons, a former Boston College tight end, and Anthony Varrichione, an ex-quarterback at Marist College, were accused of kicking and punching the 50-year-old man unconscious early Jan. 26 in the city's Allston neighborhood.

Parsons and Varrichione were charged Wednesday with assault and battery causing serious bodily injury and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon -- their shoes. Parsons also was charged with intimidating a witness.

Parsons' attorney, Michael Doolin, said his client was wrongfully identified. "C.J. is a good kid from a good family. We are hopeful that he will be exonerated," he said.

Varrichione's lawyer, Tim Flaherty, said the same of his client. Neither attorney would comment further on the allegations.

Thanks for the articles Tom.

ACC coaches in favor of 8 games...they would also be in favor of 10 home games as well. As long as the SEC and Big 10 go that route of 9 I hope the ACC does as well.

One very nice thing about scoring a lot of points and blowing teams out like Clemson did, your backup qb's get a lot of game reps. Let's hope this happens for the our Orange this year...in a good way!

Don't like our chances w/ Chandler jones considering he hasn't even visited.