Thursday | Syracusefan.com

Thursday

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU

-f1b235b36442d2a3.JPG

BMK and JB About to Visit Boeheimburg

SU Basketball Add Loyola (Md.) to 2014-15 Schedule (PS; Waters)

Syracuse University has added another non-conference game to its 2014-15 basketball schedule.

The Syracuse Orange men's basketball team will host the Loyola (Md.) Greyhounds at the Carrier Dome on Nov. 25.

The game will be the first meeting ever between Syracuse and Loyola.

The date of Loyola game joins a few other games that are already known, including games at Michigan and Villanova along with a home game against St. John's. Syracuse's full schedule, including the dates and times for ACC games, is not expected to be released until late August.

Loyola went 11-19 last season under first-year coach G.G. Smith, who is the son of Texas Tech Coach Tubby Smith. Smith was an assistant with the Greyhounds before being appointed head coach in April 2013.

JB Helps Secure $100K Gift for Boys and Girls Club of Syracuse (PS; Poliquin)

He'd done this kind of thing before, standing in front of folks who'd been lured into the tent … this time, literally. So Jim Boeheim can read an audience, and he did so from atop the little stage that he'd climbed during Tuesday's very warm afternoon.

"I was going to take my jacket off," Boeheim announced as he fiddled with his blazer, "but I got in trouble the last time I did that."

They roared at that one, all right. The 300-plus employees who'd been given a work break to gather in a lot outside Eaton's Crouse-Hinds on 7th North Street instantly recalled Boeheim's sideline disrobing down at Duke last season … and they howled and applauded.

SU Sales Pitches for Top 2015 Remaining Targets (BR; Neuman!)

The Syracuse basketball team may only have two recruits in the 2014 class, but head coach Jim Boeheim is building a powerful 2015 group.

Syracuse already has four commits in the 2015 class. Boeheim has, per ESPN's ratings, one 5-star recruit and three 4-star prospects. Malachi Richardson is the prize of the class, and he is joined byMoustapha Diagne, Tyler Lydon and Franklin Howard.

Even though those four players plus the underclassmen currently on the roster would make for a full squad, Boeheim hasn't stopped trying to lure more players. Syracuse is still in the mix for Thomas Bryant, a 5-star center out of Rochester, and Derrick Jones, a 5-star forward from Philadelphia.

Other

denzel-gregg-reboundingjpg-218c63c43fe461bb.jpg

Meet Syracuse's Unknown Division I Basketball Player, Denzel Gregg (PS; Ditota)

The city of Syracuse's most anonymous Division I basketball player stands nearly 6-foot-7. He possesses an alluring breed of athleticism that enticed St. Bonaventure coach Mark Schmidt to offer opportunity in the form of a basketball scholarship. He owns the kind of academic acumen that allowed him to skip third grade and finish his freshman year of college with a 3.1 GPA in finance.

Meet Denzel Gregg, a lifetime resident of Syracuse who will enter his sophomore year at St. Bonaventure. In a college basketball environment that annually lifts Syracuse University to the top of national attendance figures, Gregg has somehow slipped our scrutiny.

He played freshman and junior varsity basketball at Nottingham High School, then transitioned to Bishop Grimes, where Section III transfer rules kept him off the court. From there, he transferred to St. Thomas More, an all-boys private school in Connecticut.

DELSEA_GIRLS_BB_LEAGUE_THH_0030_12775227.jpg

Hakim Warrick's Little Sister Ciara Keitt Will Be Senior Leader for Washington Township Basketball Team (nj.com; Chappelear)

Ciara Keitt played with plenty of confidence for the Washington Township entry Monday night in back-to-back games of the Franklin Township Summer Girls Basketball League.

That’s good news for the high school’s Minutemaids, who will rely heavily on her leadership this winter.

While she was a part of the South Jersey Group IV title-winning Minutemaids as a sophomore, her family is no stranger to championships. Her older brother is Hakim Warrick, who was part of Syracuse University’s national title team as a sophomore in 2003 and played parts of nine seasons in the NBA. It’s a legacy that Keitt is proud of, but one which doesn’t rule her life.

“There’s not really any pressure,” she said. “My mom brought me here, let me (decide) what sports I wanted to be in and follow my desires. It’s great to have in the family tree. He inspired me a lot, so did my mom who played in high school. I just picked it, and I’m pushing myself the way I want to.”

4b6f4ec3-4bba-46a6-a03f-e0381674b4e4.jpg

Syracuse Native David Muir Was Always on a Path to Becoming a Network Anchor (PS; Webb)

Last week Syracuse native David Muir was named anchor of "ABC World News," effective in September. This profile of Muir originally appeared in the Sept./Oct. 2011 issue of Central New York Magazine. Look for the magazine's new July/August issue on newsstands around Central New York.

From the moment the video starts to stream onto the SMART Board of Room 101 at Onondaga Central High School, there is something familiar about the interviewer wearing the braces and rocking a New Kids on the Block haircut. The voice is high school and geeky. Yet the student commands the screen with ridiculous professionalism and playful polish, even as the subject, in this case, a science teacher, is explaining the icky details of how she came to have her spleen extracted.

Public speaking teacher Janet Ferris has held on to the videotape for two decades and still shows it on occasion to her students. It's a powerful example of what can be achieved, even at a rural school in southern Onondaga County that in 2010 graduated 40 boys and 40 girls during a ceremony on its front lawn. In this video, the student conducting the interview is David Muir, a 1991 graduate of OCS and the rising network star of "ABC World News."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom