Ticky Burden | Syracusefan.com

Ticky Burden

I grew up near Hoffman Park in Albany and Ticky would play there during his college and professional off season. I was in high school and I would keep the book and give out the jersey's. He would get #15 which was always his number until he got to the Knicks where a guy named Monroe wore it. Ticky was obviously always the best guy on the court, being a first team AA and everything, but once in a while Charlie Leigh, the ex Dolphin would play and he could out shoot Ticky. Never thought it was possible but I saw it with my own eyes.

I grew up near Hoffman Park in Albany and Ticky would play there during his college and professional off season. I was in high school and I would keep the book and give out the jersey's. He would get #15 which was always his number until he got to the Knicks where a guy named Monroe wore it. Ticky was obviously always the best guy on the court, being a first team AA and everything, but once in a while Charlie Leigh, the ex Dolphin would play and he could out shoot Ticky. Never thought it was possible but I saw it with my own eyes.
What was the story with Charlie Leigh? I vaguely remembered he appeared out of nowhere with the Dolphins at a somewhat ripe age.

Did you see Bowie Traynham and his buddy Stratton play?

Did you see Bowie Traynham and his buddy Stratton play?
I don't know who Stratton is but Booie was a legend. Didn't he average something like 44 points a game at Albany Business College. I was a lot younger so with guys like him, a lot of legend is from the newspaper. He would definitely come during the summer. I remember growing up that once in a while they would show high school games on channel 17 and that's when I would get to see Phillip Schuyler play live. No way in a million years would my mom let my dad take me to see Schuyler play live. During my teens I worked for the playground dept for the City of Albany and got to know guys like Ron Sontz and Bill Telasky as they were supervisors.

I don't know who Stratton is but Booie was a legend. Didn't he average something like 44 points a game at Albany Business College. I was a lot younger so with guys like him, a lot of legend is from the newspaper. He would definitely come during the summer. I remember growing up that once in a while they would show high school games on channel 17 and that's when I would get to see Phillip Schuyler play live. No way in a million years would my mom let my dad take me to see Schuyler play live. During my teens I worked for the playground dept for the City of Albany and got to know guys like Ron Sontz and Bill Telasky as they were supervisors.
Booie lived in the dorm two doors down from me my freshman year at Hartwick. I liked the guy. He roomed with his Albany buddy Bob Stratton who also played for Hartwick. Think they were a package deal. Booie could ball. Was coached by Roy Chipman who later coached Pitt. For our readers from Syracuse (as if anyone cares), also on that dorm floor was Hartwick player John Leone who starred for St. Vincents in the Catholic League. Johnny was a great guy who later was the coach at Lafayette.

I remember SU wanted him bad but he went to Utah. I always wondered : Why Utah?

I remember SU wanted him bad but he went to Utah. I always wondered : Why Utah?
"While a knee injury his senior year made many schools back off, Utah coach Bill Foster convinced him to come out and play at the Huntsman Center, at the time a state-of-the-art gym. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom