Tiger Woods wasn't good today ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tiger Woods wasn't good today ...

He seems to have waited longer this time than prior comebacks this time and the results were not as messy.

But he is fragile and the rest of his career will always be a race -- getting back to peak performance (which now may be #20-#30 in the world and staying their long enough before getting injured again.
He doesn't strike me as a very patient man. I believe he has stayed away this long simply because he was physically unable to compete and had no other option.

I agree the state of the game is good. It would probably would have been a more captivating year if Day, McIlroy, and Speith had continued their dominance from the year before in the majors. That being said the British Open was great even with Phil in it.

I think the game needs more star power, I am not a big golf fan at all, but when Tiger was in his prime, I would watch to root against him, and would root for Phil, now I really don't watch at all, there are some really good players, but no Jacks, or Tigers.

I think the game needs more star power, I am not a big golf fan at all, but when Tiger was in his prime, I would watch to root against him, and would root for Phil, now I really don't watch at all, there are some really good players, but no Jacks, or Tigers.
With McIlroy, Spieth, Day and a host of others from all over the world, I would think there's something for just about anyone with more than a passing interest in the game.

Phil Mickelson = Roy Williams of the PGA tour.

I neither like nor dislike either of them, but I don't see the comparison.

The state of the men's game at the top is fine without him. If he can be competitive again, he'll add some intrigue. Lots of talent out there at all ages, so it sure won't be easy. And it remains to be seen if he can even stay out there without his body breaking down.

I'll give you that Tiger on the rebound is much more compelling than Tiger kicking ass again. And the interview tent is blessed with far more humility now.

With McIlroy, Spieth, Day and a host of others from all over the world, I would think there's something for just about anyone with more than a passing interest in the game.

Agree completely. And I got so sick and tired of the media showing Tiger hitches his belt, Tiger rubs his nose, Tiger reaches into his pocket, Tiger drinks his water, Tiger snarls at the crowd ... while there were many other golfers making shots

Last edited:

I would have liked the "Big 3" that dominated in 2015, follow up a bit more on that in 2016. Not that they did not play well, but they did not dominate the majors as much. I think golf can really benefit from an extended period of a big 3, big 4. Dustin Johnson I think will be part of it as he has the most talent on tour. Although the Phil / Henrik sunday showdown was epic.

Golf is still my second favourite viewing sport. But the lower tier events have really been diluted by the creation of more "big" events... they still end up being enjoyable to me if a Canadian is competing for the win. But sometimes I am more compelled to travel 5 hours down to Akron for the WGC event than driving an hour to a weakened Canadian Open field.

I would have liked the "Big 3" that dominated in 2015, follow up a bit more on that in 2016. Not that they did not play well, but they did not dominate the majors as much. I think golf can really benefit from an extended period of a big 3, big 4. Dustin Johnson I think will be part of it as he has the most talent on tour. Although the Phil / Henrik sunday showdown was epic.

Golf is still my second favourite viewing sport. But the lower tier events have really been diluted by the creation of more "big" events... they still end up being enjoyable to me if a Canadian is competing for the win. But sometimes I am more compelled to travel 5 hours down to Akron for the WGC event than driving an hour to a weakened Canadian Open field.
Who is the new Canadian Mike Weir?
Europe and Australia are developing golfers and I figure since Canadians are pretty much are brothers to the North they should be developing world class golfers.

I think it will difficult for a small group of players, even that modern day "Big 3," to dominate in the majors year after year, given the incredible depth of worldwide talent at all age levels that we see out there today. It's damn hard to win a regular tour event, let alone a major.

Stenson, Rory. Speith, Rose, Day is a dominant top 5.
There is tremendous depth but those 5 are going to be favorites this whole year.
Spieth has owned Augusta for 7 of the last 8 rounds. He choked last Sunday but I still think he is the favorite there.
No idea where the The US Open or Open are this year. I am going to the PGA when they have it at Quail Hollow.

Stenson, Rory. Speith, Rose, Day is a dominant top 5.
There is tremendous depth but those 5 are going to be favorites this whole year.
Spieth has owned Augusta for 7 of the last 8 rounds. He choked last Sunday but I still think he is the favorite there.
No idea where the The US Open or Open are this year. I am going to the PGA when they have it at Quail Hollow.

US Open is in Wisconsin. I would replace Rose with Dustin Johnson.

I neither like nor dislike either of them, but I don't see the comparison.

Does Phil just roll the ball out and waste enormous amounts of talent?

Does Phil just roll the ball out and waste enormous amounts of talent?

I think he's a gambler and risk-taker, but his skill level is so high he wins enough times to justify it if he just keeps after it. In his mind, anyway. What the heck, he's sure fun to watch when he's on. His British Open duel with Stenson was just unbelievable, and his win in 2013 was amazing as well.

Last edited:
Because I don't feel like creating a new thread, Tiger with a 65 today at TPC. No way he catches Webb unless Webb falls apart though and the rest of the leaders have yet to tee off.

Because I don't feel like creating a new thread, Tiger with a 65 today at TPC. No way he catches Webb unless Webb falls apart though and the rest of the leaders have yet to tee off.

Excellent round for Tiger. Speith also with a great round. ESPN with its lead headline yesterday on its website "Tiger makes cut at 1 under". Meanwhile Webb Simpson follows a 66 with a sizzling 63 to go 15 under. You can't make this sheet up.

Brooks Koepka with a double eagle on a par 5

Tiger did just well enough on Sunday for the fanboys to JO, but ultimately faded to T11.

I was watching the BMW PGA Championship this morning (Euro tour flagship event), and it made me think back to some years ago watching a 20 year old Matteo Manassero win the event... his 4th career win at the time. He won twice as an 18 year old. Another young promising player at that time was Ryo Ishikawa.

They have been in a straight decline for 5 years and are irrelevant on the world stae.

Tiger 4 under thru 8 today at Memorial. 2 back of the leaders who have yet to tee off.

Just made another birdie to get to 10 under - 1 back.

This is a very strong field this week. I have never seen the OWGR winner points as high as this weeks' 70 for a non-major or non WGC event.

8 top 10 player
14 of the world top 20

With a win Justin Rose could become the world #1, although if Thomas finished in the top 4 by my very quick eyeball calculations he may be able to retain the spot The world #1 could be an interesting race to follow this summer with multiple changes.

With all the talk of the young guns interesting to see if a veteran like Rose could reach the pedestal of world #1 for the first time.

The leader, Joaquin Niemann also adds some intrigue to this event. A 19 year old, former top amateur from South America, who may become one of the top players in not that many years.

How many South Americans have been in the world top 10? I think Camilo Villegas reached it, and that was for a very short time. Another player whose career faded very quickly.

But would still love to see Tiger win this. The last 3 holes have been so-so. Can't keep relying on hitting your 5 feet Par testers.

Tiger blows the 3 footer to get to -11 and share of the lead. Justin Rose is making the strong move and is the current favourite in live betting.

1527964163714.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom