Tim Duncan retires | Syracusefan.com

Tim Duncan retires

Incredible career--one of my all-time non-SU favorites.

And not surprisingly, there seems to be zero fanfare about his departure.
He just announced it this morning. I am hearing plenty of fanfare on sports radio and seeing it on twitter.

It shouldn't be a surprise since he's been playing since Wilt and Bill Russell were in middle school, but it always catches me off guard when a legend hangs it up.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he knew all season long that this was his last season, but in his typical humble fashion he didn't want or need a Kobe-like farewell tour.

Only player in NBA history to start for a team that won a title in three different decades.

If enough people are talking about how "unsung" somebody is, at some point isn't he being "sung?"

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 1.19.04 PM.png

I always liked Tim and had a tremendous respect for the low key way he carried himself. That's pretty incredible for an athlete of his stature to have no "controversy" section on his Wikipedia page. Probably the closest Tim came was when he got divorced a couple years ago but nothing bad seemed to even come out of that.

I always liked Tim and had a tremendous respect for the low key way he carried himself. That's pretty incredible for an athlete of his stature to have no "controversy" section on his Wikipedia page. Probably the closest Tim came was when he got divorced a couple years ago but nothing bad seemed to even come out of that.

He reminds me a lot of Jeter, never takes a wrong step, class act all the way. And he stayed four years of college lol.

He just announced it this morning. I am hearing plenty of fanfare on sports radio and seeing it on twitter.

I was referring to him riding off into the sunset with no advanced warning [i.e., fanfare]. Compare that to the season long send-off party Kobe got last season.

I was referring to him riding off into the sunset with no advanced warning [i.e., fanfare]. Compare that to the season long send-off party Kobe got last season.

I have no problem with what Kobe did, all the greats deserve that kind of sendoff, but Duncan would have been uncomfortable with that, it just wasn't him.

ESPN asked a good question: rank the top 5 players from their generation... Kobe, Shaq, Dirk, KG, Duncan.

I can relate to Tim as he definitely matches more my personality. One time in about 3rd grade, I spelled a word wrong on purpose because I didn't want the attention from winning the spelling bee. Now I'm not THAT shy anymore, but I don't exactly run for attention either.

ESPN asked a good question: rank the top 5 players from their generation... Kobe, Shaq, Dirk, KG, Duncan.

That's a pretty good list from that era. Tough to argue with any of those names.

Completely different circumstances though. Kobe had suffered season ending injuries several years in a row, knew it was time, but wanted to try to go out on his terms and not on the injured list.

Contrast that with Duncan who had played very well the previous few years, and was on a legit title contender and it's likely he didn't even know or give it much thought before the season. He faded pretty quickly and suddenly at the end of the year.

I think of Shaq as from a previous generation(one where most of his peers' careers were severely limited by injury or illness...Webber, Penny, LJ, Coleman, Mourning)

I'd replace Shaq with Iverson for this question.

Gotcha

I can relate to Tim as he definitely matches more my personality. One time in about 3rd grade, I spelled a word wrong on purpose because I didn't want the attention from winning the spelling bee. Now I'm not THAT shy anymore, but I don't exactly run for attention either.

I did the same on my SAT's. Who needs the notoriety and accolades of a perfect 1600 score so I got a 1280 and kept my anonymity. So less complicated. :p

6'6"
7'1"
7'0"
6'11"
6'11"

A lot easier to be great when you are 7 feet tall it would seem.

Now I have watched all the kudos, admiration, and affection. Glad everyone appreciates Timmy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom