Time for some honest appraisal of the team from top to bottom | Syracusefan.com

Time for some honest appraisal of the team from top to bottom

Flacusian

All Conference
I'm guessing that every other lifelong Syracuse Basketball fan like myself is in a complete state of shock with this development. But, should we be? Never has there been such a dramatic juxtaposition of circumstances like we've witnessed this season with our program. 1st, the Bernie Fine Scandal, then the mid season eligibility issue with our star center, then the revalation that there has been a drug scandal and lack of following program protocol, and finally, perhaps the worst, we learn that after having compiled an historic 31-2 season that one of our key players is ineligible for the tournament which essentially dashes our hopes of a national championship and more importantly makes Syracuse look like the most corrupt program in the country.

Any one of the above especially the Fine scandal and the final Fab disaster consitutes a horrific development for any program. I can give James Boeheim a little wiggle room for perhaps not really being aware of the extent of what was going on with Bernie... but, now, in light of all these developments I'm feeling that Coach Boeheim needs to be held accountable for the cumulative effect of all these things which have transpired. He is the leader and steward of this program and whether he is a hall of fame coach and 3rd all time in wins doesn't really matter if the end result is that while under his watch a storied program has become the center of ridicule and shame.

Reading many of the posts here, the question most often read is, "How could this happen here?" The fact of the matter is that it was ALLOWED TO HAPPEN HERE through lack of proper oversight and leadership. I'm sorry but if you have had a person sitting next to you as your assistant coach for 30 years and don't know that there is a problem to the extent that one existed with Bernie Fine... that's a problem and it's the coaches problem too.

If you are a head coach and have violations of team drug policy and you allow it to exist without consequences for those players who were not in compliance with team/ university policy... that's your problem.

And finally, if you are responsible for recruiting players for your program you have a responsibility to monitor what they are doing academically so as to maintain elegibility especially so if there are warning signs early on during the season that a player may be in trouble with remaining eligible. Perhaps it isn't the academic issue which has made Fab ineligible but still... if he was high risk then develop some of the other players to be ready to step in should he become ineligible.

James Boeheim can't attend class for the players, but he can recruit players who won't be a risk academically or behaviorally. Haven't we had enough of those types of problems historically? We all know the names. And certainly there were many that somehow skirted being held accoutable for the things they did while they were here.

What good is 31-2 if it costs you the integrity of your program to get there and once compiling such a gaudy record and a # 1 seed you go into the tournament amid whispers, guffaws, and the broken hearts of the players who have worked hard for 4 years for once in a lifetime opportunity to bring home a national championship. I feel for Scoop and KJ and all the kids on this team who have worked so hard and given all of themselves to this program.

It's not just FAB folks. Those with the ability for honest self appraisal must look to James Boeheim for the situation we find ourselves in now. I'm angry. I'm ashamed, and I'm heartbroken. I'd rather have a program which earns a 4 seed but has promise and integrity and the respect of everyone. There is now a trail of bad juju with this team and this program. It needs to be cleaned up. I'm also tired of not really being provided with any explanation for some of these things. I know that there are privacy restrictions regarding some of the players but there are a lot of questions that need to be answered that have nothing to do with players privacy.

I agree with most of what you say but I will say with regard to fine, he might not be guilty of anything. If that is the case, there would not have been anything for jb to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom