Time to face facts this team just isn't that good | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time to face facts this team just isn't that good

The '08 class coming in on paper though I don't think was all that strong. I thought Keogh was fairly unknown but could be wrong, Jovan Miller was sort of a throw in, I know nobody expected much from him. Joel White came here as a short stick; nobody could've guessed he'd be an all-world player. But that's what it takes, players need to step up.

Honestly, the only losses I see from this team right now are Donahue, Mullins and Barber.

It's funny, looking at that recruiting list it's the recruiting we clamor for.

7 players from Section 3,
1 from Ithaca and
2 from Downstate (Smithtown and Massapequa),
plus 2 from VA.

Who could’ve guessed they'd mostly flame out.

While they did move White to LSM keep in mind he was pretty highly regarded offensive player coming in. Keogh had multiple offers and that class also included Amidon, Tim Desko, Sid Smith, and Guadagnolo, It also had Gilbert and Harmatauk two higher end guys who didn't end up panning out.

I think this is the least athletic team SU has ever had.

Where is the Matt Abbott type athlete who can run for days and isn't a smurf?

I also think the team isn't well-conditioned. There's bad luck and there's blowing multiple fourth quarter leads to lose in OT.

People may scoff at this but there is a link between the horrific late game execution that's cost this team and tired bodies.

Anyone who's played a sport knows how much tired legs contribute to poor fundamentals & decision making late in games.

As a youth coach I see it at every weekend tournament. Teams that come out like gangbusters look like crap in their third or fourth game because the kids are spent.

Will Hicks strikes again

The 2013 basketball class also turned out to be a bust. There's one player left -- Roberson -- and even he's underachieved.

Luckily, the basketball team caught fire in the tourney this year, of we'd be talking about how the hoops team was in a downfall.

irregardless of where to place the blame...in any race when your team hands you the baton with a lead and then you start falling behind...questions.

OX posted this in the UNC pregame thread, but it fits well here. I posted this response there also.

Dylan Donahue: 'We're not worried at all'

Well, someone should be. Trying not to be hyper-critical, but that article really highlights many of the issues with the team this year.

• Desko with the 'woulda/coulda/shoulda's', 'we're young', 'new players', etc. His public demeanor implies he's OK with the season so far.
  • Senior leaders saying 'It's all good'. If you're 'good' with (at best) squeaking into the tournament or (at worst) missing it (who would have thought that was even possible 10 years ago??????), I have to question the leaders.
There is no sense of urgency. None - at least publicly. That, to me, more so than the on-the-field issues or the lack of star recruits panning out, is the most stunning part of all of this.

The team and the coach apparently believe they can just turn on the switch and make a run. I really, really, REALLY hope they are right.

OX posted this in the UNC pregame thread, but it fits well here. I posted this response there also.

Well, someone should be. Trying not to be hyper-critical, but that article really highlights many of the issues with the team this year.

• Desko with the 'woulda/coulda/shoulda's', 'we're young', 'new players', etc. His public demeanor implies he's OK with the season so far.
  • Senior leaders saying 'It's all good'. If you're 'good' with (at best) squeaking into the tournament or (at worst) missing it (who would have thought that was even possible 10 years ago??????), I have to question the leaders.
There is no sense of urgency. None - at least publicly. That, to me, more so than the on-the-field issues or the lack of star recruits panning out, is the most stunning part of all of this.

The team and the coach apparently believe they can just turn on the switch and make a run. I really, really, REALLY hope they are right.
Well, we'll find out today as this is probably their last shot.

I agree that the most disturbing part of this season has been the public displays of complacency.

I don't doubt the coaches & players are putting in every effort to compete and win. What is astonishing to me is the acceptance of mediocrity.

Everyone knew the dynasty wouldn't last forever; but it looks too much like the team is just happy to compete rather than push to dominate like they used to.

Could be over analyzing it but I don't like hearing how tolerant and comfortable coaches and players are with the results so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom