Time to move on: next year's forwards | Syracusefan.com

Time to move on: next year's forwards

RF2044

Living Legend
Jerami Grant has made his decision--time to turn the page. We hardly knew you, Jerami--good look at the next level.

Looking ahead to next year's team, there is a BIG opportunity for PT at the forward position. And we need all three youngsters to step up and prove themselves to be contributors.

Roberson needs to make the proverbial "sophomore leap," and show why he was nicknamed "The Beast." This kid is a major league talent with some nice offensive skills, and he's athletic as hell. He's going to get his chance to demonstrate that next year. All he needs to do is bring his physical maturity up to the level of his skill development.

Ditto BJ. This is a player with a world of offensive potential / versatility, who could fill an important role as either a starter or as a key reserve. A sophomore leap would also provide us with another shooter to space the floor.

Chris McCullough--coming at you, kid. Can't afford for him to not be ready, a la Fab, Rak, Coleman. We need this kid to come in ready to be a contributor in some important capacity to help offset Jerami Grant's departure.

And Michael Gbinije, who was the jack of all trades / master of none this year--there will be an opportunity for him to contribute at the 3 next year. Need him to do a better job manning that back line next year.

The sky isn't falling. We have talent at forward. Unproven talent, yes, but talent for this to be a good team. It's going to be a fun year!

Last edited:
Show me some player development. Too many top kids come in and either don't play, they aren't ready, or don't play BECAUSE they aren't ready.

People might think its crazy but I'm more excited by our upside in our new guys than our departed.
Same... I don't see JG getting a jump shot or being consistent offensively in the half court anytime soon... BJ will be a jump shooter who will be more capable in the half court and Roberson has showed that he has a capable shot.. They will both get their chance.. Chris McC will be a FORCE defensively and will compete with BJ for final starting spot.. Team will be fine and it will be interesting to see how everyone develops... Not much expectations for next year, but those years are either painfully brutal or real exciting... Pumped to see the development of next years team!!! Most importantly, SYRACUSE NEEDS A HEALTHY DC

with all the young unproven talent we got, hopefully this is the year jb just lets them play run and gun ball and have some fun.
Hate to say it, but Jimmy will do the opposite and tighten the reigns with the "unproven" guys. Look for a lot of quick hooks w G (who looks really out of position at SF) getting too many frontcourt minutes as Jimmy will not let youngsters play through very many miscues.

If Cooney can improve, and be a CONSISTENT threat, this team will be fine. On paper it will be one of our most athletic lineups we have ever put on the court.

Hate to say it, but Jimmy will do the opposite and tighten the reigns with the "unproven" guys. Look for a lot of quick hooks w G (who looks really out of position at SF) getting too many frontcourt minutes as Jimmy will not let youngsters play through very many miscues.

I think G will play some minutes at the 3, but I don't see the scenario you are predicting happening in actuality.

We are going to be surprised come midseason about how "good" our forwards are, relative to expectations coming into the season.

RF2044 said:
I think G will play some minutes at the 3, but I don't see the scenario you are predicting happening in actuality. We are going to be surprised come midseason about how "good" our forwards are, relative to expectations coming into the season.
Agreed. Well be a better team in March than November.
I think G blows up next year. Gets to the rim at will. Josh pace with a jumper.

G can't be expected to play minutes at forward unless Joseph is ready to play 30+ mpg. I hate the fact we have only 1 PG on the roster right now.

I am not disappointed Grant is leaving though because we weren't winning anything without Ennis next year and if Grant came back one of McCollough or Roberson would have rode the pine. JB only wants to play 7 guys well now we only have 9 healthy scholarships for 2014-2015 if Coleman isn't ready.

I think G will play some minutes at the 3, but I don't see the scenario you are predicting happening in actuality.

We are going to be surprised come midseason about how "good" our forwards are, relative to expectations coming into the season.
I have high expectations for all of Beast, McC, and BJ. Of course, that doesn't mean that there will not be steep learning curves. Also, young guys w minutes will equal a certain amount of foul trouble. I don't particularly want to see much of it, but, yes, Jimmy will view G as the anchor up front when anything goes haywire, especially on missed D rotations. Any minutes G gets upfront will add to the stability in November at the expense of upside come March.....yech !!!

Maybe we can get Jay Wright to give a clinic on the 3 guard offense... Kaleb, Trevor, MG will lead us...

@OG
G can't be expected to play minutes at forward unless Joseph is ready to play 30+ mpg. I hate the fact we have only 1 PG on the roster right now.

I am not disappointed Grant is leaving though because we weren't winning anything without Ennis next year and if Grant came back one of McCollough or Roberson would have rode the pine. JB only wants to play 7 guys well now we only have 9 healthy scholarships for 2014-2015 if Coleman isn't ready.

We have plenty of room available. Today I read that there are/were 350 transfers on the market this year. We'd be crazy not to take someone, right?

My early prediction: Gbinije and Roberson start at forward. I don't think it will take long for McCullough to supplant Gbinije in the starting rotation, however.
Disagree, McC and Roberson will start. Jimmy needs G too much in the backcourt rotations to give him a starting nod upfront. However, I see G getting 30 MPG in total. How much of that is in the frontcourt may depend upon Joseph's progress. If Joseph can handle the job & get 32+ MPG then that will free up G for more frontcourt duty (in Jimmy's eyes). The only way G doesn't get signifucant minutes upfront is if Joseph is a total flop & G has to play 30+ at the point, which I do not forsee.

jr4750 said:
@OG We have plenty of room available. Today I read that there are/were 350 transfers on the market this year. We'd be crazy not to take someone, right?
It's got to be very difficult to line up.

there is a boatload of talent on next year's team. It is unproven talent, but the raw materials are there. Roberson was ranked 37th in RSCI, McCullough is currently 14, and Gbinijie was 28. I don't think JB has ever had three top 40 ranked HS forwards on his roster at the same time. And if DC can play, he'll have two former McD AAs at center. The backcourt is the big question, and it would be foolish to expect Joseph to come in and dominate from the start like Ennis did, but he has the talent and athleticism to be very good by the time March rolls around. If Cooney can find more consistency with his shot, I believe that this will be a 2nd weekend team.

The prevailing view on this board is pessimistic about next year, but I am very upbeat.

RandygoCuse said:
Does Gbinije start at the point or small forward?

G has no shot of starting at the point.

Maybe SF.

@OG

We have plenty of room available. Today I read that there are/were 350 transfers on the market this year. We'd be crazy not to take someone, right?
How many are eligible to play this fall?

Show me some player development. Too many top kids come in and either don't play, they aren't ready, or don't play BECAUSE they aren't ready.
The sophomore jump always happens. Dion, MCW, Kris Jo, Fab, CJ.

From Kris Joseph in February:
Monsieur Joseph ‏@RealKrisJo Feb 1
That freshman to sophomore jump at the cuse is real

I'm really excited to see what the 3 freshmen who didn't redshirt can do. Really high on Buss, and think he has the stones to take the reigns.

Does Gbinije start at the point or small forward?
MG is the only other guy who can play PG. I doubt they take the risk of starting him at SF. In fact IMO he will get substantial minutes at PG as I doubt KJ will play Ennis minutes. I think Roberson and McCullough will do fine.

The sophomore jump always happens. Dion, MCW, Kris Jo, Fab, CJ.

From Kris Joseph in February:
Monsieur Joseph ‏@RealKrisJo Feb 1
That freshman to sophomore jump at the cuse is real

I'm really excited to see what the 3 freshmen who didn't redshirt can do. Really high on Buss, and think he has the stones to take the reigns.

I agree. Looking forward to it as well. I've been high on Buss since the Canada games. I still think he should have played more this year, moreso than Roberson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom