Time to move on: next year's forwards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time to move on: next year's forwards

we'll see . . . I think we'll see at least an attempt to play Patterson as the third guard early in the season, backing up both positions for about 15 mpg

I hope so.

Relying on two guards for the past two seasons has not paid off.

Patterson can shoot and he can defend. Let him take his lumps and develop into another ball-handler and distributor.

So he should go because he is a first round pick? Is the bar that low these days. I bet Grant will be working on his Jumper a lot this offseason, Jb would be pleased for him to be able to knock down some jumpers next year. Jb doesn't have a different agenda, Grant is just being stubborn and not listening to the advice given to him.
Stubborn?
What the hell does Jerami Grant owe Jim Boeheim? I love JB, but he has a different agenda than Grant does. Grant wants to play in the NBA and make money, but JB wants Syracuse to win basketball games. JB wants players to play his way, but his way may not necessarily be in Jermai's best interest. Grant owes nobody on the Hill anything neither does JB, but Grant has every right to feel he can play professional basketball. Jeez you make it sound like JB's word is the only one. I respect his authority, but its not always right.

RF2044 said:
I agree--all three of the "Sons" are going to be positioned to play big minutes next year. The opportunity is there for each one of them to step up and emerge as contributors, and it is within each of their three respective capabilities to do so. If there's one positive aspect to the early departures of Ennis / Grant, its that all of these youngsters are going to be pushed out of the nest and expected to fly--because the only way we can be successful next year is for this trio to rise to the occasion. Same goes for incoming frosh Joseph / McCullough.

Where are pattersons minutes coming from?

Depends on BJ I would guess. If BJ doesn't play and we are forced to play G some at the 3 than Patterson may get some run behind Cooney.

My opinion is BJ takes the back-up 3. And Patterson is again the 4th guard in a 3 guard rotation.

Stubborn?
What the hell does Jerami Grant owe Jim Boeheim? I love JB, but he has a different agenda than Grant does. Grant wants to play in the NBA and make money, but JB wants Syracuse to win basketball games. JB wants players to play his way, but his way may not necessarily be in Jermai's best interest. Grant owes nobody on the Hill anything neither does JB, but Grant has every right to feel he can play professional basketball. Jeez you make it sound like JB's word is the only one. I respect his authority, but its not always right.

He owes him a lot, but that is besides the point, he isn't ready to play in the nba, you guys make it sound like coming back another year is a prison sentence.

I think we are going to use four backcourt players next year. How much Gbinije backs up the point will depend on Patterson's ability to function as a combo guard. If he can't, then Gbinije plays a lot in the backcourt. If he can, then Patterson gets some of those minutes in relief of Joseph.

Patterson is a better shooter than most posters give him credit for. I expect him to play 6-10 minutes backing up Cooney / Joseph.

Depends on BJ I would guess. If BJ doesn't play and we are forced to play G some at the 3 than Patterson may get some run behind Cooney.

My opinion is BJ takes the back-up 3. And Patterson is again the 4th guard in a 3 guard rotation.

Agree 100%, except that I think that Patterson can carve out his own niche and not be the odd man out in the backcourt rotation.

Virtually impossible for me to envision Joseph / Cooney playing the iron man minutes they were forced to this year.

Next year's team is going to drive JB batty. He's going to be forced to play unproven players, and he'll only have unproven players to turn to when they don't perform.

How he deals with Roberson and McCullough will be interesting.

Man, you may be the jiltiest jilted lover of all time.

bebd31eb_5046091402_029de93f24.jpeg

Next year's team is going to drive JB batty. He's going to be forced to play unproven players, and he'll only have unproven players to turn to when they don't perform.
This is actually partly why I'm really excited for next season.

Bring on the chaos!

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball 6m
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim with no comment on Grant decision. Told that statement from SU sports info is coming soon.

I don't get why JB doesn't say publicly he is happy with players leaving even if he is disappointed. I understand he is a straight shooter, but these kids have every right to go play professional basketball. I am not disappointed ever in a kid leaving early. It just comes off bad and now we will have PTI, ATH, and media people who hate JB talking about this. PTI will defend because he friends with them, but JB should always sound positive even if he disagrees in public.

JB wished Jerami well in the Zagsblog article I read today.

Man every word out of anyone's mouth is wayyyyy to over analyzed in today's culture. Hyper political correct statements are ruining society, now wonder why nobody can handle negativity in today's world. Unless JB's statements cause a recruit to de-commit I hope he never changes.

Gbinije, Roberson and Xmas are going to shock people this year.

People don't really realize when G was thrown into offense this year, at times he was expected to be the defensive glue, the offensive spark and a point guard all at the same time.

G has a boatload of talent, it's upsetting to see people down on him. He's much more at home at the 2g and 3 than the point.

Gbinije, Roberson and Xmas are going to shock people this year.

People don't really realize when G was thrown into offense this year, at times he was expected to be the defensive glue, the offensive spark and a point guard all at the same time.

G has a boatload of talent, it's upsetting to see people down on him. He's much more at home at the 2g and 3 than the point.

This isn't designed to be a knock on G, but I just don't see what you and others see offensively from him. I think people remember the final game and are expecting that to be what we get consistently--but I'm not so sure. He has the look / skill set of a role player to me--not that there's anything wrong with that. A glue guy who can play a couple of positions, provide some complimentary shooting / ball handling, but who's upside is about 6-7 ppg.

Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see him as a starting caliber 2 or 3, I see him as [this is going back a ways] Cornell Parker from UVa, a swing player who is capable of manning multiple positions and provides valuable contributions, but isn't a "star"

This is actually partly why I'm really excited for next season.

Bring on the chaos!
Hopefully chaos includes some M2M and pressure defense. With three new starters maybe there's hope for that.

This isn't designed to be a knock on G, but I just don't see what you and others see offensively from him. I think people remember the final game and are expecting that to be what we get consistently--but I'm not so sure. He has the look / skill set of a role player to me--not that there's anything wrong with that. A glue guy who can play a couple of positions, provide some complimentary shooting / ball handling, but who's upside is about 6-7 ppg.

Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see him as a starting caliber 2 or 3, I see him as [this is going back a ways] Cornell Parker from UVa, a swing player who is capable of manning multiple positions and provides valuable contributions, but isn't a "star"

Last year he provided our offense little things that it desperately needed, though not in volume as we needed. Hopefully him and cooney are much more consistent this year.

-An occasional perimeter threat, he does have a good shot and hit a few offense sparking threes throughout conference play. Think of the Duke (@ cameron) and Virginia games.

-He also, throughout last year, had the ability to penetrate into defenses and dish down low to an open big. Unfortunately for G, the big he often found wide open was BMK. I never understood why JB ever let BMK be the 5 while G was running point last year. I think G, as a guard, offers us a player who can penetrate and create open looks for other players. Hopefully he can put on a little muscle too because he's pretty good at getting to the basket, but weak on the finish. He has the ability to finish above the rim as well, we saw a flash of that on his backdoor dunk vs Dayton...and his several missed dunks throughout the season unfortunately.

As a forward he offers us as you said a solid glue player. He can hit mid and long range shots but I see him just being the kid with a motor. He gives more effort on defense and rebound than any other forward I've seen in a while. You guys loved BMK for his defensive abilities. Forget the shoe mistake vs. Dayton and realize that for most of last season, G gave us some solid D around the perimeter and get a lot of steals that led to a little transition.

None of my comments are jabs at you RF or anyone else.

People are going to attack you for not having your Orange colored glasses on. Everything is fine no problem.

Believe me I want to be more optimistic, but this team struggled offensively, now take away fair,cj, and ennis, that is asking a lot. I like the talent that we have, but that is a lot to lose, and a lot of inexperience.

I'll be the first one to say that some people on this board have their orange glasses duck taped and sodded to their faces.

However, I really do not understand how people are already giving up on next year. I mean really? Are you serious? This is an incredibly athletic, talented team.

We have Rak and Cooney who have both been to the final 4. Rak's been to 2 elite 8s. The experience is there.

Rak/BJ/McCullough/Gbinije and Roberson are all athletic freaks.

We'll go through growing pains, but by no means are we an NIT team.

I'll be the first one to say that some people on this board have their orange glasses duck taped and sodded to their faces.

However, I really do not understand how people are already giving up on next year. I mean really? Are you serious? This is an incredibly athletic, talented team.

We have Rak and Cooney who have both been to the final 4. Rak's been to 2 elite 8s. The experience is there.

Rak/BJ/McCullough/Gbinije and Roberson are all athletic freaks.

We'll go through growing pains, but by no means are we an NIT team.

I look at things objectively, I am not giving up on the season, but we aren't contending for a title next year. It will be an interesting year, but I think we are going to struggle.

I look at things objectively, I am not giving up on the season, but we aren't contending for a title next year. It will be an interesting year, but I think we are going to struggle.

I'll ask EVERYONE. This is directed at EVERYONE.

HOW MANY OF YOU thought Uconn was competing for a title this year?

They all but ran away with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom