Time to start facing some hard truths | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time to start facing some hard truths

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can lump Patterson and BJ together like that. I mean leaving because you want to take a redshirt year doesn't scream disenchanted.

Very fair point. It still is not a great look.

look, not only did he not choose Syracuse, he didn't even pay the Orange the courtesy of the official visit. just the sham schedule, putting us last because he knew he'd decide before it came to that.

you don't have to believe that we were ever the leader . . . but the fact is that at the end of the day, we were no longer really even in the race
Wait, he was ours to lose, yet we were never in the race. Yeah, that makes sense.

Wait, he was ours to lose, yet we were never in the race. Yeah, that makes sense.
first of all, where did I say he was "ours to lose"?

that aside, of course someone can be "yours to lose" until something comes out of right field (like excessive NCAA penalties) that completely changes the competitive environment

Alsacs said:
I never assume anyone is a lock till they commit. If the kid liked Michigan then you go with Michigan. Beilien has done a lot better with guards than JB has in the last 5 years. This isn't shocking it may suck but its not shocking.
John beilein has done a lot better with guards in the last 5 years than Boeheim?

I think you are right, pearl, but I think most people will not be ready to face those truths for a while yet
Nonsense. First we hear from the doom and gloomers that the 4 kids we signed would want out. Next we hear that Silent G or Cooney aren't coming back. We miss on a couple of recruits. Something we have been doing for 50 years. Let's see how this plays out. There are other good players in this class we can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
We couldn't even get an official visit from someone we've been recruiting for three years.

I tend to think the same thing. Like a "hey, not even a reach around??"

But then, we know he's been on campus multiple times and clearly knew everything he should know about the program, facilities, campus, and personnel. So maybe it's not so bad.

Right on the heels of Bryant, it stings bad. Real bad. My concern, like others here is trying to figure out if this was just two swings and misses (both TBs), or is it an indication that something is rotten in Denmark. We just won't know until 2016 recruting settles out. Moyer staying solid and Mike G coming back are indicators that the sky is firmly in place - so there's no cause to panic even though it would be easy to do at this moment.

I tend to think the same thing. Like a "hey, not even a reach around??"

But then, we know he's been on campus multiple times and clearly knew everything he should know about the program, facilities, campus, and personnel. So maybe it's not so bad.

Right on the heels of Bryant, it stings bad. Real bad. My concern, like others here is trying to figure out if this was just two swings and misses (both TBs), or is it an indication that something is rotten in Denmark. We just won't know until 2016 recruting settles out. Moyer staying solid and Mike G coming back are indicators that the sky is firmly in place - so there's no cause to panic even though it would be easy to do at this moment.

Interested to see Jake's take on this. He said after Bryant committed to IU he would start to worry if we didn't get Battle. So that's why I'm worrying.

Awfully late to the party we are on Murray and Simmons, and Gilbert isn't in the same league. Just my opinion, but we need at least one more elite player for 2016 to pair with Moyer.

Interested to see Jake's take on this. He said after Bryant committed to IU he would start to worry if we didn't get Battle. So that's why I'm worrying.

Awfully late to the party we are on Murray and Simmons, and Gilbert isn't in the same league. Just my opinion, but we need at least one more elite player for 2016 to pair with Moyer.

I was thinking the same on being late to the party with those other guys, but I don't think we are truly that late. We are late compared to the other guys we were recruiting and how we are typically way ahead on guys, but not in any other sense of the word. So I think it is OK and we aren't just throwing a bunch of lines in the water right before the boat docks.

dont need elite players- hakeen wasnt elite like many many others

i want good players -jimmy knows good players- who ever we do get will be just fine

If you want more things to worry about, the university just sent an e-mail asking people to participate in a survey about the future of the Dome because "Based on a report issued last year by the Chancellor's Workgroup on a Carrier Dome Backup Plan and the current life-span of the existing Dome roof, the University has a limited time period to explore future options for the Dome. "

So at some point in the not-too-distant future we could be looking at no hall of fame head coach and no 35,000 seat arena (could be, not will be). That won't make recruiting any easier.

"Hey remember that time fifteen years ago when a plan B recruit worked out? We're due guys!"

ClamOtto said:
If you want more things to worry about, the university just sent an e-mail asking people to participate in a survey about the future of the Dome because "Based on a report issued last year by the Chancellor's Workgroup on a Carrier Dome Backup Plan and the current life-span of the existing Dome roof, the University has a limited time period to explore future options for the Dome. " So at some point in the not-too-distant future we could be looking at no hall of fame head coach and no 35,000 seat arena (could be, not will be). That won't make recruiting any easier.

Why is that something to worry about? I got the same email and I see it as a great thing. They are letting some donors give their opinion on the 3 options they are studying.

docsu said:
"Hey remember that time fifteen years ago when a plan B recruit worked out? We're due guys!"

Plenty of times we didn't get our #1 target.

John beilein has done a lot better with guards in the last 5 years than Boeheim?

I think you can argue that. Certainly SGs. LeVert will be in the NBA. Burke, Hardaway Jr., Stauskas, etc.

Why is that something to worry about? I got the same email and I see it as a great thing. They are letting some donors give their opinion on the 3 options they are studying.
The e-mail isn't something to worry about. I agree that it's a good thing they are asking for opinions (I took the survey and they're obviously trying to gauge what the market will bear for premium seats). But it's a reminder that Dome is nearing the end of its useful life which adds another element of uncertainty to the future. Could turn out to be a very good thing if they are able to improve the facility without losing the huge crowds. Or it could be a bad thing if they decide they don't have the money for a first-class upgrade or new arena.

This is actually a great little point but my question would be: did the defections of Buss and BJ hurt us here somewhat? I mean, two guards are disenchanted and transfer...yes, those moves opened up the scholarship(s) but it's really not a good look.
Can't see where that is too valid. If a recruit looked closely at those transfers, he would have seen the good reason for both.

I never assume anyone is a lock till they commit. If the kid liked Michigan then you go with Michigan. Beilien has done a lot better with guards than JB has in the last 5 years. This isn't shocking it may suck but its not shocking.
I don't know about that declaration ... we've had a run of guards to the NBA, which is precisely why we're seeking Battle.

However, I agree that if you can make a tool like Spike Albrecht look good you must have some coaching talent.

Last edited:
Can't see where that is too valid. If a recruit looked closely at those transfers, he would have seen the good reason for both.

I agree in retrospect after giving it more thought. Still, I think it does sort of add to a perception that there is a lot of turmoil within the program.

I don't know about that declaration ... we've had a run of guards to the NBA, which is precisely why we're seeking Battle.

However, I agree that if you can make a tool like Spike Albrecht look good you must have some coaching talent.
Spike Albrecht has won a few games for Michigan. I can remember two in particular. I'd take a kid who can shoot like that anytime.

Spike Albrecht has won a few games for Michigan. I can remember two in particular. I'd take a kid who can shoot like that anytime.
I would rather have Spike Albrecht over an guard we have now not including incoming freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom