Tired of the talent argument. .. | Syracusefan.com

Tired of the talent argument. ..

Ish88888

All American
The ville started an entire offensive line of 3 stars, young 3 stars. There are freshman and sophs playing all over the country, the difference is coaching, lester began that downhill slide when we were up 10-7. We ran about 6 different kinds of offensive plays yesterday, about 6 simple go routes to briskly, the 4 yard out to a tight end in the flat (pick six), the read option that most of the time ed gave the ball to Fredericks after the d end clearly crashed and there was a huge edge. The 8 yd out to ish and cornelious , and a few running play handbacks . We continue to neglect the middle of the field, we throw outside and run ed up the middle. Makes zero sense. We have the talent, its a catch 22. The staff can recruit but cant develop and game plan the talent. If you are lester why not go for it and open up things, going to battle with young talent he has a built in excuse. Tired of his pressers saying the young guys have to learn, when indeed lester is the guy learning on the job. Our position coaches minus daoust and MAYBE lea are holding these kids back. Funny, Shafer could survive being shafer if he hired real coordinators and position guys, but he instead brought in friends. I really like Shafer personally, but the fact he has kept reed around ( our dbs line up 12 yards off and back pedal at the snap ), and allowed 2 offensive coordinators get their feet wet in the midst of a p5 transition is mind boggling. we were up 10-7 after 20:00 of play, why is it the talent level excuse once we start losing? WE HAVE THE TALENT, THE TALENT LACKS GUIDANCE

That said, i would take the temple coach, might be the perfect fit, not a hot candidate for a bigger job, young, dynamic, has shown he can competently run the ship. He and his staff made some nice adjustments at the half against smu.

Jerry Glanville once said of Don Shula, "He can beat your'n with his'n and then turn around and beat his'n with your'n."
Coaching matters.

Another reason why Scott Shafer does not deserve to be a head coach. Bringing in "his" inexperienced guys over more qualified people.

Ugh, I used to like Shafer when he seemed like a competent enough coach. But then Marrone's kids graduated and we all found out how completely incompetent he is at Head Coach decision making.

I can't say I'm no going to watch anymore if that guy stays as head coach. But I respect our program to much to allow this HACK to do that to me.

Yes, i do love Shafer as a d coordinator. Imagine if we could have somehow kept the continuity of him as defensive coordinator and hackett on offense with this takent! Watch out!

The ville started an entire offensive line of 3 stars, young 3 stars. There are freshman and sophs playing all over the country, the difference is coaching, lester began that downhill slide when we were up 10-7. We ran about 6 different kinds of offensive plays yesterday, about 6 simple go routes to briskly, the 4 yard out to a tight end in the flat (pick six), the read option that most of the time ed gave the ball to Fredericks after the d end clearly crashed and there was a huge edge. The 8 yd out to ish and cornelious , and a few running play handbacks . We continue to neglect the middle of the field, we throw outside and run ed up the middle. Makes zero sense. We have the talent, its a catch 22. The staff can recruit but cant develop and game plan the talent. If you are lester why not go for it and open up things, going to battle with young talent he has a built in excuse. Tired of his pressers saying the young guys have to learn, when indeed lester is the guy learning on the job. Our position coaches minus daoust and MAYBE lea are holding these kids back. Funny, Shafer could survive being shafer if he hired real coordinators and position guys, but he instead brought in friends. I really like Shafer personally, but the fact he has kept reed around ( our dbs line up 12 yards off and back pedal at the snap ), and allowed 2 offensive coordinators get their feet wet in the midst of a p5 transition is mind boggling. we were up 10-7 after 20:00 of play, why is it the talent level excuse once we start losing? WE HAVE THE TALENT, THE TALENT LACKS GUIDANCE
Old saying goes - it's not about the X's & O's it's about the Jimmy & the Joes......

On paper, SU is less talented, based on recruiting ratings over a 3-4 year period, than every team that beat SU this year. In some cases, the talent difference is dramatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom