Tired? | Syracusefan.com

Tired?

Townie72

All American
Tired?

Because of our short bench this year, are SU players performing less well than they could with more rest?

Lots of people on this forum are convinced this is true. And repeatedly make unchallenged (but completely unsupported) claims about this. It’s surprising we have so many cardiologists and exercise physiologists on the board here.

JB says the players aren’t tired. He said they are conditioned to run this much. I have seen videos of the hearts of University of Maryland basketball players and they were the models of efficiency.

NBA games are 48 minutes and the season is 82 games long. The player that ran the farthest per game in a recent season was Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, who averaged 2.72 miles per game. College players run less.

Soccer games last 90 minutes Substitutions are a rare event. it's not uncommon for a player to average seven miles per game. Seven! Some running as much as 9.5 miles in a game. That’s two to three times what basketball players run. And these teams plays 2, 3 or 4 times a week because many compete in three leagues (i.e. EPL. UFA. Carling Cup) in a 8-month season

http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-do-you-run-in-different-sports

I’m suggesting that those on here that are claiming that SU players are too tired don’t have a bloody clue what they are talking about. Nada. Zilch. This is their own fantasy being sold on here as fact.

If they have some facts to support their claims, let’s hear em.

Tired?

Because of our short bench this year, are SU players performing less well than they could with more rest?

Lots of people on this forum are convinced this is true. And repeatedly make unchallenged (but completely unsupported) claims about this. It’s surprising we have so many cardiologists and exercise physiologists on the board here.

JB says the players aren’t tired. He said they are conditioned to run this much. I have seen videos of the hearts of University of Maryland basketball players and they were the models of efficiency.

NBA games are 48 minutes and the season is 82 games long. The player that ran the farthest per game in a recent season was Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, who averaged 2.72 miles per game. College players run less.

Soccer games last 90 minutes Substitutions are a rare event. it's not uncommon for a player to average seven miles per game. Seven! Some running as much as 9.5 miles in a game. That’s two to three times what basketball players run. And these teams plays 2, 3 or 4 times a week because many compete in three leagues (i.e. EPL. UFA. Carling Cup) in a 8-month season

I’m suggesting that those on here that are claiming that SU players are too tired don’t have a bloody clue what they are talking about. Nada. Zilch. This is their own fantasy being sold on here as fact.

G missing open fast break layups is a bit puzzling

Tired?

I don't have a clue how much fatigue affects us, but I love this post!

hostile venues like Cameron you have to either take a lead or keep it close. once that's gone...

Why don't you wax poetic about how Cooney is a D3 player.

This team is tired and undermanned. We're missing Ennis, Grant, McCullough and Coleman.

Honestly, I have no clue what your post is complaining about, but in light of the fact that your said Trevor Cooney is a Division 3 talent, it's hard to take anything you say about basketball seriously.

G missing open fast break layups is a bit puzzling

That's more likely concentration than fatigue.
Why don't you wax poetic about how Cooney is a D3 player.

This team is tired and undermanned. We're missing Ennis, Grant, McCullough and Coleman.

Honestly, I have no clue what your post is complaining about, but in light of the fact that your said Trevor Cooney is a Division 3 talent, it's hard to take anything you say about basketball seriously.

Bingo! We have found one of the culprits no doubt. No facts, just opinion on fatigue. What are your qualifications? Are you a cardiologist? I don;t think anything you say about fatigue can be taken seriously. The truth is you have no idea what you are talking about.

You have no idea what the original post was complaining about because you either didn't read the source or maybe you didn't understand it. I don't think there's a Cliff Notes version available. Besides, what's not clear about 7 miles of running in a 90 minute game.

Cooney was awful as a RS Frosh when I made that comment. I still don't think he's all that good. Too erratic.

I like the part where you claim the people on the opposite side of your stance have no facts and then you yourself provide no facts to support your position.

Miles run. Length of games. Length of season.

How many more facts would you like?

Undermanned? Absolutely. 8 players doesn't cut it in today's game unless all 8 are McD AAs like Duke. Tired? Don't buy it. Timeouts every 4 and peak conditioning mitigate the affects of playing 36 - 40 minutes.

A lot of snarkiness in this thread. But I liked the idea of comparing sports and their respective amounts of running. JB is always completely non-hesitant when answering questions about fatigue. It was good to read some stats that provide perspective on his assertions. Can't we all just get along?
Unknown.jpeg

A lot of snarkiness in this thread. But I liked the idea of comparing sports and their respective amounts of running. JB is always completely non-hesitant when answering questions about fatigue. It was good to read some stats that provide perspective on his assertions. Can't we all just get along? View attachment 37474

Forget getting along.

I didn't go to SU so I could avoid arguments.

Premiere League football players Steven Gerrard (34), Frank Lampard (36) and John Terry (34) are running 7 miles a game, two and three times a week in 90+ minute games and TC and G can’t run 2 miles a game twice a week without being so tired they can’t make lay-ups.

And this sounds reasonable?

Marathon runners run 26.2 miles without stopping in 2 hours which is the length of a college basketball game. Therefore it is not possible for college basketball players to get tired.

Skurey, even the 6 OT game vs UConn didn't go 2 hrs. A regulation game is 40 minutes.

Forget getting along.

I didn't go to SU so I could avoid arguments.

Premiere League football players Steven Gerrard (34), Frank Lampard (36) and John Terry (34) are running 7 miles a game, two and three times a week in 90+ minute games and TC and G can’t run 2 miles a game twice a week without being so tired they can’t make lay-ups.

And this sounds reasonable?
I am agreeing with your premise. Did you learn to except yes for an answer when you went to SU? :rolleyes:

I know kids that run cross country and also play basketball. I bet they'd tell you playing basketball is more tiring.

I also know kids that play soccer and basketball. I bet they'd tell you basketball was more tiring.

Different kind of running.

I am agreeing with your premise. Did you learn to except yes for an answer when you went to SU? :rolleyes:

My argument isn't with you. tptgeek.

Friends of mine at SU --- in the Pleistocene Era ---accepted "maybe" as a "Yes" answer. To hear them tell it.

Couldn't do that these days.

I know kids that run cross country and also play basketball. I bet they'd tell you playing basketball is more tiring.

I also know kids that play soccer and basketball. I bet they'd tell you basketball was more tiring.

More sprinting in basketball than in cross country. Heart rate gets higher. Although these college basketball players have extraordinarily low heart rates and very short recovery periods.

But at a high level, soccer is very similar with lots of sprinting. Kids games don't equate. Apples and oranges.

Townie72 said:
More sprinting in basketball than in cross country. Heart rate gets higher. Although these college basketball players have extraordinarily low heart rates and very short recovery periods. But at a high level, soccer is very similar with lots of sprinting. Kids games don't equate. Apples and oranges.

It's apples to apples since I'm comparing high school players vs high school players and college vs college.

You cant compare the two sports. Running 7 miles where its mostly straight line and on the ground vs sprinting, stopping, cutting, jumping..jumping being the biggest producer of fatigue. Its just much more complicated than just comparing mile for mile. There's also comparison of relative fatigue of team vs team. There is no doubt that most of our opponents are fresher than us. That has an effect. I dont believe, however, that fatigue is a huge factor in this team's issues. I just dont think they are very good.

Basketball is three dimensional. It's running and jumping. And talk about artificial surfaces! It's unique sport.

This is the big point. If they are tired now, how do they expect to play in the NBA?

It's apples to apples since I'm comparing high school players vs high school players and college vs college.

And I am comparing 34 and 36 year old soccer players with 20 year old college basketball players. Both groups are playing their sports at a very high level.

And in the case of the NBA vs. college consider 82 48-minute games and a 24 second clock and scores way above 100 pts.

Just because some people on here say the team is tired doesn't make it true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom