Tired? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tired?

it's basic metabolism. the muscles can only store so much fuel and when it's gone the only way to replace it is rest. Muscle is capable of burning multiple fuels during exercise, including glucose , fatty acids and amino acids. that's why you don't see people sprinting marathons. you have to conserve your energy supply to finish. so you pace yourself accordingly.simple translation: not go 100%.
nascar is racing in atlanta today. watch how quickly better cars get run down by those with fresh tires.

Last edited:
What are your qualifications? Are you a cardiologist?

While I agree fatigue isn't the main issue here, you asking folks if they're cardiologists is silly. Cardios specialize in health / disease of the heart and blood vessels. They're not the experts on strength & conditioning or exercise physio.

I suspect someone else has / will make this point in the thread, but basketball involves a great deal of explosive leaping (often a series of jumps) and extensive use of the arms for dribbling, shooting, defense, etc. Then tack on the pushing and shoving of other large individuals jockeying for position. Soccer involves much more running at medium speed with frequent sprints, but far less leaping and very little use of the arms (outside of the necessary motions for running). Very little heavy contact / pushing occurs because in soccer it constitutes a foul (and rightfully so). Focusing solely on distance covered is specious.

I can't believe this thread.

If the OP were correct, you could theoretically just play a college basketball season forever and the only reason for a downturn in physical capabilities would be chance injury and old age.

Id say it's also the cumulative effect of playing forty minutes over the course of a five month season.
I think not having anything to play for is affecting also. The mental aspect of sports and its deleterious effects on the physical condition cannot be overstated IMO.

I think not having anything to play for is affecting also. The mental aspect of sports and its deleterious effects on the physical condition cannot be overstated IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised.

I can't believe this thread.

If the OP were correct, you could theoretically just play a college basketball season forever and the only reason for a downturn in physical capabilities would be chance injury and old age.

Jonny Flynn was visibly gassed in the BET finals to the point where the announcers were commenting on it.

He was probably faking it.

or how Rutgers and Maryland would never be in the B1G

Great! Cheers me up to know how memorable some of my strongly held opinions are.

Looks like Coach K has joined JB and I in the "they aren't tired" opinion holders club. In spite of the opinions of the fitness experts on here, who are adapting the "tired" mantra because it supports their "JB should play more players" opinion.

Rutgers and MD in the B1G surprised a lot of people, including my sources in the Terrapin Club.I underestimated the depth of the financial hole they had dug themselves in to. Money is the only reason they left the ACC.

Cooney is better than a D-III player, although his defenders three years ago were betting on significant improvement over what they saw before them that year. I've been out of he country since mid-Jan, so I haven;t seen any games. But based on reading this board, there's a lot of posters who probably think he would have been better off in a low D-1 school. I haven't piled on because I have had my say. I don't dislike the kid.

But, nothing pleases me more than putting burs under saddles.

Tired?

Because of our short bench this year, are SU players performing less well than they could with more rest?

Lots of people on this forum are convinced this is true. And repeatedly make unchallenged (but completely unsupported) claims about this. It’s surprising we have so many cardiologists and exercise physiologists on the board here.

JB says the players aren’t tired. He said they are conditioned to run this much. I have seen videos of the hearts of University of Maryland basketball players and they were the models of efficiency.

NBA games are 48 minutes and the season is 82 games long. The player that ran the farthest per game in a recent season was Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, who averaged 2.72 miles per game. College players run less.

Soccer games last 90 minutes Substitutions are a rare event. it's not uncommon for a player to average seven miles per game. Seven! Some running as much as 9.5 miles in a game. That’s two to three times what basketball players run. And these teams plays 2, 3 or 4 times a week because many compete in three leagues (i.e. EPL. UFA. Carling Cup) in a 8-month season

http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-do-you-run-in-different-sports

I’m suggesting that those on here that are claiming that SU players are too tired don’t have a bloody clue what they are talking about. Nada. Zilch. This is their own fantasy being sold on here as fact.

If they have some facts to support their claims, let’s hear em.
soccer players and basketball players are very different. there's a reason why there aren't 6'7" lionel messis running around

Looks like Coach K has joined JB and I in the "they aren't tired" opinion holders club. In spite of the opinions of the fitness experts on here, who are adapting the "tired" mantra because it supports their "JB should play more players" opinion.

We should definitely take their comments at face value.

soccer players and basketball players are very different. there's a reason why there aren't 6'7" lionel messis running around

You mean like 6'8" Peter Crouch? Or Didier Drogba who is built like an NFL linebacker?

I'd say that EPL defensemen were a lot more heavily muscled than the skin and bones guys in college basketball. And, if we are to believe that SU players are too winded to perform after 40 mins over a 2 hour period, these soccer guys are a lot better conditioned.

I'm not saying you specifically, but the knowledge of soccer on here is surprisingly weak. There was a statement on here a few days ago about soccer players only running straight and never jumping like basketball players do. Have these people even watched a game? Were they in comas during the World Cup.

You mean like 6'8" Peter Crouch? Or Didier Drogba who is built like an NFL linebacker?

I'd say that EPL defensemen were a lot more heavily muscled than the skin and bones guys in college basketball. And, if we are to believe that SU players are too winded to perform after 40 mins over a 2 hour period, these soccer guys are a lot better conditioned.

I'm not saying you specifically, but the knowledge of soccer on here is surprisingly weak. There was a statement on here a few days ago about soccer players only running straight and never jumping like basketball players do. Have these people even watched a game? Were they in comas during the World Cup.
lol peter crouch

in case you haven't noticed, that guy gets plenty of rest

drogba is 6'2 200. he looks like a linebacker in comparison because soccer players are much smaller than nfl and nba players.

I would say the metabolic demands of muscle in a soccer player are different from a baskeball player, and they train accordingly.

lol peter crouch

drogba is 6'2 200. he looks like a linebacker in comparison because soccer players are much smaller than nfl and nba players.

I'd say their BMIs were pretty similar.

Soccer players at that level need to be super-quick and super-agile, so they are shorter. But guys like Dzecko are big guys. And they have to be superbly-conditioned.

lol peter crouch

So he's essentially a point guard.

This thread is such a joke.

While I agree fatigue isn't the main issue here, you asking folks if they're cardiologists is silly. Cardios specialize in health / disease of the heart and blood vessels. They're not the experts on strength & conditioning or exercise physio.

I suspect someone else has / will make this point in the thread, but basketball involves a great deal of explosive leaping (often a series of jumps) and extensive use of the arms for dribbling, shooting, defense, etc. Then tack on the pushing and shoving of other large individuals jockeying for position. Soccer involves much more running at medium speed with frequent sprints, but far less leaping and very little use of the arms (outside of the necessary motions for running). Very little heavy contact / pushing occurs because in soccer it constitutes a foul (and rightfully so). Focusing solely on distance covered is specious.

A great deal of explosive leaping? What game are you watching. Volleyball has more leaping. In a half court offense, most of it is standing around passing the ball. They usually walk the ball upcourt.

Is there more jumping in basketball? Yes. But soccer has a lot of it on kicks by the goalie to midfield and in corner kicks. And its done with abandon.

I don't know if it's cardiologists or exercise experts that know the answer. But it sure isn't guys sitting in dens eating bowls of Fritos and asking their wives to fetch them more beer.

Of course, they have been schooled by experts ... TV commentators. These guys have introduced as an article of faith the one sure indicator of fatigue in a basketball player. It's the grabbing of the hem of their shorts during free-throws. This action as we all know is the one sure indicator of a tired player.

Was it Dick Vitale who made this original comment?

So he's essentially a point guard.

This thread is such a joke.
since drogba and nfl linebackers are the same bmi, drogba is 200, linebackers are 230, linebackers are roughly 7 feet tall.

since drogba and nfl linebackers are the same bmi, drogba is 200, linebackers are 230, linebackers are roughly 7 feet tall.

I thought we were talking about basketball players and comparing their BMIs to soccer players.

Dude. You introduced the comparison.

The point was made (attempted to be made) that because of the different body characteristics of basketball players, that running, jumping, etc was much harder for them to do. And therefore, it was more difficult for them to do the same amount of work.

I don't buy that. Their body types are more similar than different. I can't think of a better meqsurement than BMI. Can you? (MD or Phd?)

Which would be a big guard in basketball.

10 pounds less than Cooney, and while he's in good shape, he isn't exactly a bruiser.

The point was made (attempted to be made) that because of the different body characteristics of basketball players, that running, jumping, etc was much harder for them to do. And therefore, it was more difficult for them to do the same amount of work.

I don't buy that. Their body types are more similar than different. I can't think of a better meqsurement than BMI. Can you? (MD or Phd?)

You'd actually want to test their VO2 Max as that's a better measure of conditioning http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom