To those who are overreacting, please post here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To those who are overreacting, please post here

We'll see after Georgetown. It too difficult to judge this team already though. We either blow out competition, or get blown out.

If we were playing in the AAC I wouldn't be to worried of making the NCAA. But we play in the ACC where there are 11 other possible NCAA teams there.

Anybody else absolutely dumbfounded by the "best ever" team comment by Boeheim earlier?
I don't believe JB said this was his best team ever. I think the quote was it could be ONE of the best ever.

If we miss the tournament you can gloat all you want, but I am confident we won't. I think we win the rest of the non-conference and get at least 12 ACC wins. I think a lot of people expected this team to steamroll everyone out of the gate, but that hasn't happened.

I really don't see how the team regressed last year. We were 19-9 with JB as head coach. The team was much better the tournament than they were earlier in the year. The middle stunk with Hopkins, but that was a unique situation.

They lost 5 of their last 6 games prior to the NCAA Tournament. Maybe they were playing better than early in the year. Obviously things came together in the tournament, but they were extremely lucky to even make it to that point.

They lost 5 of their last 6 games prior to the NCAA Tournament. Maybe they were playing better than early in the year. Obviously things came together in the tournament, but they were extremely lucky to even make it to that point.

That was also the toughest part of the schedule. Remember what you posted when people people are clamoring for Monmouth to be in the field again in February when we beat them by 20.

That was also the toughest part of the schedule. Remember what you posted when people people are clamoring for Monmouth to be in the field again in February when we beat them by 20.

Two road games against top 15 teams, I'll give you that. The other 4 were against other bubble teams and they came up short in 3 of those. That doesn't scream improving team to me.

Two road games against top 15 teams, I'll give you that. The other 4 were against other bubble teams and they came up short in 3 of those. That doesn't scream improving team to me.

We will see who's right in March. I suspect it won't be you. I will follow your bubble thread.

What evidence do you have to disprove the claim that this team is a bubble team? Yeah it's early, but the early returns show zero quality wins and two butt-whipping losses. Hell, we had a way better start to the season last year, and the regular season ended with us firmly on the bubble (and most, if not all, thinking we had no chance of making the tournament come Selection Sunday).

The evidence I have is based off of the games they've played thus far. Yeah, they lost to South Carolina and Wisconsin. Wisconsin was ranked in the pre-season top ten and are one of the best teams in the Big Ten. South Carolina went 25-9 last year under Frank Martin and are absolutely no cupcake by any means. They're probably going to finish top four in the SEC and definitely make the tournament. If we lose to UConn or Georgetown (bubble or non-tournament teams) that's when I'll be concerned

The evidence I have is based off of the games they've played thus far. Yeah, they lost to South Carolina and Wisconsin. Wisconsin was ranked in the pre-season top ten and are one of the best teams in the Big Ten. South Carolina went 25-9 last year under Frank Martin and are absolutely no cupcake by any means. They're probably going to finish top four in the SEC and definitely make the tournament. If we lose to UConn or Georgetown (bubble or non-tournament teams) that's when I'll be concerned

I get the point you're making. If we had looked competitive in these two games, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, we got our doors blown off by both, looked lost offensively and defensively, and seemed generally incapable of making adjustments anywhere on the court. Not a good look.

I get the point you're making. If we had looked competitive in these two games, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, we got our doors blown off by both, looked lost offensively and defensively, and seemed generally incapable of making adjustments anywhere on the court. Not a good look.

NOt predicting the future here, but the bold is spot on. Given my personal expectations (which were high) this is the most wrong I've ever felt about a team. By a long shot.

And lets not act like Wisconsin or South Carolina are ANYWHERE near elite. Good, solid teams, sure. But nothing more. We made them both look like a UCLA all star team.

NOt predicting the future here, but the bold is spot on. Given my personal expectations (which were high) this is the most wrong I've ever felt about a team. By a long shot.

And lets not act like Wisconsin or South Carolina are ANYWHERE near elite. Good, solid teams, sure. But nothing more. We made them both look like a UCLA all star team.

Well you could still be right. We are 6 games in. People just think we are going to roll everyone.

Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the country. We had this discussion last year when everyone said they stunk after we lost to them. They returned their entire team that went 12-6 in the B1G and made the Sweet 16. They are 8th in Kenpom Rating. They along with Indiana are probably the co favorites to win that league. I get they aren't flashy, but they are very good.

Right, it's not really THAT we lost, it's HOW we lost and how we looked in those losses, and frankly, how we looked in our wins as well. I get that we can improve, but people speaking so matter-of-factly that we will improve is misguided, in my opinion.

the Orange will be fine.

need to trim the fat, get rid of this 9 man rotation and get to work.

no more chukwu, no more thompson.

rip battle in the press.

teach white and gillon the zone.

get howard to be a real PG.

all easily accomplished.

in JB I trust.

Right, it's not really THAT we lost, it's HOW we lost and how we looked in those losses, and frankly, how we looked in our wins as well. I get that we can improve, but people speaking so matter-of-factly that we will improve is misguided, in my opinion.

How we looked in our wins? Now you're talking out of you butthole. We beat a team that most people thought should be in the tournament last year by 20.

How we looked in our wins? Now you're talking out of you butthole. We beat a team that most people thought should be in the tournament last year by 20.

Who missed countless WIDE OPEN shots and bunnies. The defense has been bad this year, and just because we were smoking teams doesn't mean that we were playing flawless. I could also care less about what Monmouth did last year, as it is mostly irrelevant to this year. We have played two high-level Power 5 opponents THIS YEAR and looked like we didn't belong on the court with either of them.

Just wondering, to those of you just ripping the heck out of the team last 2 games, what were your posts after the first 4 when they won big (including a decent Monmouth team) and there seemed to be general euphoria on the board and very rosy predictions?

I agree, last 2 games were bad (albeit some good glimpses), and definite work is needed. However, fans overall tend to be quite reactive to the good and bad, with attitudes/perceptions that often very closely parallel team fortunes. Keep an open mind. Things will improve again. I'm realistic but optimistic with this team. On paper at start of year, sure, seemed like potentially a very good team. Still can be. Actual play against 2 good teams reveals that potential is definitely still down the road (I had a few choice words during the game too), but don't shred that paper or the team yet. NCAAT bound for me.

Also, I like TT despite his freshman What moments. He has good game for a frosh and we need him down low through the season, esp if PC will not offer that much or get reduced PT.

Just wondering, to those of you just ripping the heck out of the team last 2 games, what were your posts after the first 4 when they won big (including a decent Monmouth team) and there seemed to be general euphoria on the board and very rosy predictions?

I agree, last 2 games were bad (albeit some good glimpses), and definite work is needed. However, fans overall tend to be quite reactive to the good and bad, with attitudes/perceptions that often very closely parallel team fortunes. Keep an open mind. Things will improve again. I'm realistic but optimistic with this team. On paper at start of year, sure, seemed like potentially a very good team. Still can be. Actual play against 2 good teams reveals that potential is definitely still down the road (I had a few choice words during the game too), but don't shred that paper or the team yet. NCAAT bound for me.

Also, I like TT despite his freshman What moments. He has good game for a frosh and we need him down low through the season, esp if PC will not offer that much or get reduced PT.
Unfortunately, these are the only games I've seen this year..,

Nobody thought the defense and offense would look the inept against good competition.

It's the same crap on offense 60% of the time where it's our guards trying to penetrate inside, they can't beat thier man so they stop and pass it back out on the wing or up top of the key, rinse repeat until 5 seconds are left and somebody jacks up a shot.

How is that supposed to be hard too defend against anybody that isn't a mid-major?

Honestly, I thought Monmouth was a decent test but I was definitely taking a 'wait and see' approach. I saw some flaws in offense/defense naturally being so early even against the bad teams. As we have seen the one pass one chuck (for years now) against the good teams doesn't work.

That's what I'm holding on to...but, there's something disconcerting about the way they're playing. There's a selfishness that I don't think we've seen here in a while (maybe 2010-11 Dion).

This reminds me a little of that team: talented enough to crush some teams, but too shaky to win consistently.

The CBI must be getting pretty excited about the year we are having thus far

as bad as everybody says SU played and I don't disagree, they were down only 5 after missing 11 FTs (including front ends of 1 +1) with about 1 min to go. I think even got it to 3. (exact timing may be wrong but the gist is right) Point is that while I won't say everything is ok, I will say, let the season play out. There is talent there. And experience. It has taken Lydon 10 games to get his rhythm and he was in this system last yea. Let White and Gillon get theirs. if they do, then thing have a good chance to change.

as bad as everybody says SU played and I don't disagree, they were down only 5 after missing 11 FTs (including front ends of 1 +1) with about 1 min to go. I think even got it to 3. (exact timing may be wrong but the gist is right) Point is that while I won't say everything is ok, I will say, let the season play out. There is talent there. And experience. It has taken Lydon 10 games to get his rhythm and he was in this system last yea. Let White and Gillon get theirs. if they do, then thing have a good chance to change.

Being down 5 to a good team is something I can live with though. Huge difference.

Ah the Low Testosterone thread makes a return

It hasn't been great, but that's impossible given the Final Four run.

I meant non NCAAT games.

So 11-10 which includes a final 4 run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom