Top 10 Defense Next Season | Syracusefan.com

Top 10 Defense Next Season

Doc5120

Starter
An insider article by John Gasaway ranks us as the 9th best defense heading into next season. The link is pasted below. 8 teams listed ahead of us are Arizona, Virginia, Louisville, San Diego St, Uconn, VCU, Kansas & Ohio St. Coming in at # 10, The UC Irvine Anteaters. No, I'm not joking.

9. Syracuse Orange

Trevor Cooney will continue to record way more steals than people seem to realize, Michael Gbinije will see minutes (possibly off the bench) as a 6-7 pest on the top line of the 2-3 zone, Rakeem Christmas will block shots and opponents will once again be confronted with a defensive scheme that makes them deeply uncomfortable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ist-nation-top-10-defenses-college-basketball

Some of the raw materials are there [as mentioned above], but this will be a tall order with so many new faces / inexperienced players.

Agreed. I think part of our ranking is past performance based, and the country/media's perception of our 2/3 being so unique.

Agreed. I think part of our ranking is past performance based, and the country/media's perception of our 2/3 being so unique.

It's VERY hard to project, with two new starting forwards manning the baseline. They might end up being very good [given their athleticism, length, etc.], or the might end up being revolving doors. Won't know until they lace 'em up.

Just due to the nature of college basketball, with all of the turnover, a lot of these rankings (especially with Gasaway) are going to be based heavily on recent history, as well as the personnel returning. We had the 13th ranked defensive efficiency last year; 8th the year prior, 17th before that; a top 10 finish doesn't seem crazy.

Christmas was the anchor of the defense last year, he's still here. Cooney did do a great job of playing the passing lanes (as did Ennis, though really, our guards have excelled at steals for the last 4 or 5 years at this point) and there are still plenty of long armed guys at the back of the defense. The sample size is very small, so I don't want to draw too much from it, but Roberson had better block and defensive rebounding rates than CJ or Jerami last year. This is def one i can buy, plus or minus a few spots.

It's VERY hard to project, with two new starting forwards manning the baseline. They might end up being very good [given their athleticism, length, etc.], or the might end up being revolving doors. Won't know until they lace 'em up.

I hope it's the former and not the latter, but we'll start to find out in a couple of months. The athleticism is definitely there. Hopefully the understanding of the zone and it's concepts follows suit.

That's nice. I just hope the defense does more of setting up and starting the offense than last year. I'm looking for a lot more pushing of the ball after turnovers and rebounds. Biggest complaint about Ennis was how often he'd pull back at half court and let everyone get set up. I look for push push push from Kaleb and if he airmails a few we can live with that. We should not forget that even the immortal Sherm Douglas would on occasion send one into the 2nd row.

That's nice. I just hope the defense does more of setting up and starting the offense than last year. I'm looking for a lot more pushing of the ball after turnovers and rebounds. Biggest complaint about Ennis was how often he'd pull back at half court and let everyone get set up. I look for push push push from Kaleb and if he airmails a few we can live with that. We should not forget that even the immortal Sherm Douglas would on occasion send one into the 2nd row.

Sherman Douglas REALLY pushed the ball. He made the team around him run hard, too. The General would sometimes go wild when he'd throw a perfect pass that would glance of the fingertips of Seikaly on the fast break [for example]. The kid hate to lose, and he loved to speed up the game's tempo.

Douglas is my all time favorite 'Cuse player, bar none!

Last edited:
Sherman Douglas REALLY pushed the ball. He made the team around him run hard, too. The General would sometimes go wild when he'd throw a perfect pass that would glance of the fingertips of Seikaly on the fast break [for example]. The kid hate to lose.

Douglas is my all time favorite 'Cuse player, bar none!

Sometimes he even hiked it right between his legs if that was quickest :)

Some of the raw materials are there [as mentioned above], but this will be a tall order with so many new faces / inexperienced players.

That's what I was going to say. Our zone usually needs a little more experience to click on all cylinders but this year will definitely be interesting. I think JB will have to let guys play through mistakes a little more than maybe he has in the past. We have to have five players on the court so he can't pull everyone.

It will be interesting because although Tyler, Trevor and Mike did a fine job last year it was a big step back from the stifling Triche, MCW backcourt of the previous season. I see Kaleb being able to do at least what Tyler did as a freshman on defense so we should be solid out front. I think its highly unlikely that ChrisM as a freshman plays better position/scheme defense than Jerami and CJ did last year simply because of experience. TylerR, MikeG and BJ the other 3 would will see time at the forwards all have at least a season in the system which helps greatly. I think we may see a more aggressive rebounding and shot blocking front line that gets us running the other way more frequently but also one that is not as fundamentally sound and prone to more breakdowns specifically in the weakside corner/baseline coverage.

It will be interesting because although Tyler, Trevor and Mike did a fine job last year it was a big step back from the stifling Triche, MCW backcourt of the previous season. I see Kaleb being able to do at least what Tyler did as a freshman on defense so we should be solid out front. I think its highly unlikely that ChrisM as a freshman plays better position/scheme defense than Jerami and CJ did last year simply because of experience. TylerR, MikeG and BJ the other 3 would will see time at the forwards all have at least a season in the system which helps greatly. I think we may see a more aggressive rebounding and shot blocking front line that gets us running the other way more frequently but also one that is not as fundamentally sound and prone to more breakdowns specifically in the weakside corner/baseline coverage.

Agree across the board.

So in my warped orange world, I picture us opening up leads with kj,cooney,Bj,cmac,Xmas (wish it was DC)

I see use putting a lid on said lead with a lineup of silent g, buss, Roberson, cmac, Xmas

Am I nuts?

Just curious about your thoughts on your second tour through the ACC. Historically (and I've been watching ACC basketball for nearly 50 years), there haven't been many good zone defences in the conference, and no one played them regularly, only as a change of pace. That said, now that most of the coaches have seen Syracuse's zone up close and personal, what sort of problems does that create for Boeheim going forward? Admittedly, the Syracuse zone is up there with Heathcote's Michigan State zone and Chaney's Temple zone, IMO, and not the ordinary run-of-the-mill-we-don't-have-the-athletes-to-play-man sort of zone you see from mid majors. Regardless, personnel changes notwithstanding, does it get easier or more difficult this year?

Just curious about your thoughts on your second tour through the ACC. Historically (and I've been watching ACC basketball for nearly 50 years), there haven't been many good zone defences in the conference, and no one played them regularly, only as a change of pace. That said, now that most of the coaches have seen Syracuse's zone up close and personal, what sort of problems does that create for Boeheim going forward? Admittedly, the Syracuse zone is up there with Heathcote's Michigan State zone and Chaney's Temple zone, IMO, and not the ordinary run-of-the-mill-we-don't-have-the-athletes-to-play-man sort of zone you see from mid majors. Regardless, personnel changes notwithstanding, does it get easier or more difficult this year?

Depends on personnel on both sides. Our zone is better with better personnel and more experience playing it. Likewise certain skillsets in certain players do well against the zone and PG particularly who see it year after year seem to get better at orchestrating the attack. A big guy with a good high post game (can hit the FT line jumper, can pass to the cutter, can one dribble drive from there) can really cause problems.

Easier or more difficult? Honestly it depends on the players and how they buy in. Big East teams saw the SU zone for many years and knew it was coming. Other than Calhoun and Dixon few ever really figured it out. ACC teams may know what SU is goignt o do but they still won't be able to replicate it in practice since they do not play it themselves. That is the biggest problem. I'd say UVA and NC St seemed to figure it out best but ut still took big efforts to beat it.

Our zone was okay last year, but nowhere near it's best. The zone in the prior year was much better. Not surprisingly, we seem to best at the zone when we have tall guards and wing players and a swatter or swatters of the ball underneath. We should be a bit better defensively this year (by year's end), but next year and beyond look more promising with the incoming recruits who are long and athletic.

An insider article by John Gasaway ranks us as the 9th best defense heading into next season. The link is pasted below. 8 teams listed ahead of us are Arizona, Virginia, Louisville, San Diego St, Uconn, VCU, Kansas & Ohio St. Coming in at # 10, The UC Irvine Anteaters. No, I'm not joking.

9. Syracuse Orange

Trevor Cooney will continue to record way more steals than people seem to realize, Michael Gbinije will see minutes (possibly off the bench) as a 6-7 pest on the top line of the 2-3 zone, Rakeem Christmas will block shots and opponents will once again be confronted with a defensive scheme that makes them deeply uncomfortable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ist-nation-top-10-defenses-college-basketball
hog bologna. hoping teams miss is not good defense. it works better sooner than later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom